PDA

View Full Version : Cyberfox vs Chrome

XxHackThisxX
August 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I have to say that at first i was excited bout using cyberfox.However,i have to admit,i see no difference between cyberfox and firefox Chrome seems to render pages much faster and smoother then cyberfox or firefox.I had downloaded and uninstalled cyberfox multiple times and still no difference.I completely updated it and installed the latest version of x64 bit standalone flash.It seems to have ah little hesitation just as firefox does.I also had to disable "use hardware acceleration where available",just as i had to do in firefox.Doing so renders the page ah bit more quickly without hesitation but still doesnt compare to chrome.when i come here to VC it seems to hesitate quite ah bit where as chrome loads everything instantaniously.There are other areas of the net,if not most web pages that see lag or hesitate,where chrome flies through them.So,with that said,is it just me? or do others experience the same issue? is it something im not doing right,or havent installed or updated? I love the look and feel of cyberfox and would love to keep it,but for now i will have to say that i would rather stick with chrome.My computer is completely updated and virus free.all hardware is completely updated including graphics card..etc.So i cant really say what would be slowing cyberfox down.If someone has any input on this,i would greatly appreciate it! As of right now,i have cyberfox installed but am not using it.If icant resolve the issue or no one has anything further to say bout it,then i guess i will have to uninstall it :( thanx

YourNumbr1Fan
August 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
With all due respect to Toady and the others here, I have to agree with you mate. Being a Chrome-user, and not a Firefox- or Cyberfox-user may not be a very popular thing here at VC, but, as many have said, sometimes the truth isn't very popular. I too love the look and feel (along with the privacy configuration choices) of FF and Cyberfox especially, and admire the hard work and innovativeness of Toady when it comes to Cyberfox (not to mention that he's just a heck of a cool fella), but so far Chrome is the browser I use and will continue to use until something else REALLY offers a better and faster experience. Coming from me, being as how I personally LOATHE Google as a company (with it's admitted CIA/NSA roots and continued spying on the public through its various engines and services), that's not an easy thing to have to admit. I mean, I actually HATE all that Google stands for....because I know why Google seems to "have all the answers to our questions [search queries]". It's a world-wide EYE, and was created as a corporate front to be the eyes-and-ears of some of the worst people that have gained control of the "governing" bodies in all of the Western world. I know this like I know that the sun rises in the east. It's not something that I would even attempt to argue over with anyone, to try to prove. It's just fact, admitted fact at that. Admitted by both the company Google (if you're not one of the walking-dead and have a brain that actually fires signals across the synapses), and admitted by the spy-agencies.
Having said that, I use Chrome. BUT......I AM VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL with my configuration of Chrome, and the search-engines I use in it: I use Ixquick or Startpage instead of Google search. I have Chrome delete all cached data upon closing it. All my passwords to sites I'm a part of are stored locally on my pc and encrypted. And when I REALLY want privacy, I simply use Tor Browser Bundle (which actually comes packaged with Firefox Portable!).
I love the privacy options in Firefox (including Cyberfox of course).....But I don't like having to wait when I'm just browsing the www, or signing-in to one of the sites I'm a part of.

You probably do have your computer configured OK: Firefox is just simply slower than Chrome, end of story. If FF ever catches up, of course I'll switch. Not until then.

I wish Toady could have developed a "Cyber" version of Chrome, but the code isn't made available to developers like Firefox's is...expressly because of the nefarious reasons I've already touched on. Maybe Toady chose the FF coding also out of principle; if so, I admire him even more. I keep Cyberfox installed also, just to keep up with the development of it, and too, out of principle. But, for speed and ease-of-access I'm going to of course take the path of least resistance. However, I can't over-emphasize the fact that you should handle anything Google makes like a live and venomous snake mate. Configure it correctly. Educate yourself about Google.

Dark Knight
August 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
With all due respect to Toady and the others here, I have to agree with you mate. Being a Chrome-user, and not a Firefox- or Cyberfox-user may not be a very popular thing here at VC, but, as many have said, sometimes the truth isn't very popular. I too love the look and feel (along with the privacy configuration choices) of FF and Cyberfox especially, and admire the hard work and innovativeness of Toady when it comes to Cyberfox (not to mention that he's just a heck of a cool fella), but so far Chrome is the browser I use and will continue to use until something else REALLY offers a better and faster experience. Coming from me, being as how I personally LOATHE Google as a company (with it's admitted CIA/NSA roots and continued spying on the public through its various engines and services), that's not an easy thing to have to admit. I mean, I actually HATE all that Google stands for....because I know why Google seems to "have all the answers to our questions [search queries]". It's a world-wide EYE, and was created as a corporate front to be the eyes-and-ears of some of the worst people that have gained control of the "governing" bodies in all of the Western world. I know this like I know that the sun rises in the east. It's not something that I would even attempt to argue over with anyone, to try to prove. It's just fact, admitted fact at that. Admitted by both the company Google (if you're not one of the walking-dead and have a brain that actually fires signals across the synapses), and admitted by the spy-agencies.
Having said that, I use Chrome. BUT......I AM VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL with my configuration of Chrome, and the search-engines I use in it: I use Ixquick or Startpage instead of Google search. I have Chrome delete all cached data upon closing it. All my passwords to sites I'm a part of are stored locally on my pc and encrypted. And when I REALLY want privacy, I simply use Tor Browser Bundle (which actually comes packaged with Firefox Portable!).
I love the privacy options in Firefox (including Cyberfox of course).....But I don't like having to wait when I'm just browsing the www, or signing-in to one of the sites I'm a part of.

You probably do have your computer configured OK: Firefox is just simply slower than Chrome, end of story. If FF ever catches up, of course I'll switch. Not until then.

I wish Toady could have developed a "Cyber" version of Chrome, but the code isn't made available to developers like Firefox's is...expressly because of the nefarious reasons I've already touched on. Maybe Toady chose the FF coding also out of principle; if so, I admire him even more. I keep Cyberfox installed also, just to keep up with the development of it, and too, out of principle. But, for speed and ease-of-access I'm going to of course take the path of least resistance. However, I can't over-emphasize the fact that you should handle anything Google makes like a live and venomous snake mate. Configure it correctly. Educate yourself about Google.

Not to put words in your mouth but I think part of the reason you may not like Firefox too much is just the same reason as I......
First off, Firefox is actually a 32 bit based browser, will it work on 64 bit platforms? certainly, but as I have found 32 bit browsers do not always perform better on 64 bit systems.

Up until recently I had "mostly" used Internet Explorer, until the release of IE10 which I found cumbersome, clumsy and bloated, not to speak of having to wait for the Windows update to actually get it to run and install, but that is neither here or there, the point is that a few months back I did a clean install of Windows and removed Internet Explorer all together.
I then began experimenting with Chrome and Firefox, I just could not take a liking to Chrome and it's not just because of the "eye in the sky" thing because believe me you are certainly not alone in hating Google, I don't even use their search anymore, but Chrome just didn't feel right. Firefox on the other hand felt right but I could not get the performance out of it, why? because Firefox is a 32 bit browser and I was running it on a 64 bit system, now you would think it would run faster on a 64 bit system but it really does not.

The browser I finally settled on is Pale Moon, it is a Mozilla based browser but also supports 64 bit operating systems, now I have it all, the feel of Firefox, the security which is much better than IE and the performance that I was looking for.

I also have Cyberfox installed on my system also, but the one I get the most performance out of I have to say is Pale Moon.

Honestly, I do not think I will ever go back to IE, don't ask me why but it feels like my system is more stable and runs a WHOLE lot more smoother without it.

FYI - Those of you that own Chrome books, good luck with surfing in anonymity, it'll never happen.

YourNumbr1Fan
August 10th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I agree with that wholeheartedly! I'll have to give Pale Moon a shot for sure. Don't know about the 32-bit browser having any effect on 64-bit systems, but concede that you may be right about that mate.

FYI - Those of you that own Chrome books, good luck with surfing in anonymity, it'll never happen.

razorsedge
August 10th, 2013, 10:09 PM
You guys are missing the point of an x64 browser, I will clear up a few things for you here and add some understanding as to what x64 apps are really for.

Most believe still in this time and I can see by your posts here that people going from a 32 bit system or application to x64 think the reason to switch is that the system or applications should or will be faster. This is a myth and has always been a made up myth for people that don't understand what x64 systems or apps are for.

A x64 system or application is not faster then a 32 bit application or system the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit is simple a 32 bit system or application is limited in how much of the computers resources you can use. As with a 32 bit os you can install up to 3.5 gigs of ram that the computer can use, if you install more it will be there but the os will not show it as ram nor ever be able to use it. It's just there but can never be used. Same with a 32 bit application once the app starts to use around 1.5 - 2 gigs of ram it will slow down and eventually crash out if sucking the power out of your system. the issue with 32 bit apps or applications is that you are limited to what you can your computer resource wise.

X64 os's or applications are not faster and never have been they can be tweaked to be faster but you are not held back by the 32 bit limitations. With 64 bit you are able to get the full use of your system resources that's why people who say were on a 32 bit os and move to a x64 bit but only have 4 gigs of ram or less see no difference. You need at least 6 gigs of ram in your operating system before you start to notice the benefits of a x64 os or application. When using a 64 bit os or app under heavy load as say a browser for power browser users that open hundreds of tabs at a time or always have hundreds of tabs open with flash vids, youtube vid's, sites that have lots of animations and such sucking the resources from the machine a 32 bit browser will not be able to handle it once it reaches about 2 gigs worth of system use it will slow down and then crash out. A x64 browser will power on through not slow down and not crash. Same for any other applications lets take something such as adobe after effects which when rendering a vid uses a huge amount of system resources when adobe only made the application in 32 bit format I used to get tons of crashes with it and the ever so not nice " out of system memory" error. Now with it as 64 bit that never happens.

So you need to understand what x64 is and what it does. The myth that x64 is faster then 32 bit is and always has been untrue. Using x64 means you have full use of all your systems resources and are not held back by the limitations of x86 so when your applications ( if they are 64 bit of course as a x86 app on an x64 os will still have the x86 limitations ) are under heavy load and require more system resources they can use the resources that your system has 32 bit will slow and crash out at around 2 gigs of usage.

As for the browsers chrome and cyberfox, chrome has always been the fastest browser on the market now I am and always have been a firefox and cyberfox user in fact it was my asking of Toady to make the x64 version of firefox cause back when I was using waterfox and that browser had many many issues and bugs that just kept getting worse and worse with each new version plus it was few and far between getting updated. I needed a x64 browser that could handle my work load and not crash as the 32 bit browser versions did for any browser when I had it under heavy load. So toady set out to make one and boom cyberfox was born. I have tired all the others chrome while being the fastest and a good browser is quite buggy and does not offer the amount of addons that firefox does which is the big bonus of firefox also chrome as we know is a huge personal data farmer for google ( meaning collects all of your browsing usage ) and palemoon is also a good browser but it's built on old fire fox bases it was built on version 15 of firefox for the longest time even when the real firefox was already on version 20. It's now based off version 21 I believe while firefox is on version 23 and I don't think palemoon is updating the base again till version 25. This creates issues for security and addons as when firefox is updated so are addons. The security fixes though are the bigger issue there as that's a main reason for the updates of firefox a lot so if your using a browser based on an old version your exposed to those security issues that are not implemented.

The main thing here is to clear up that myth though about 32 bit and 64 bit, 64 bit is not faster never was but gives you full use of system resources not holding you back with the limitations of 32 bit. The myth that 64 bit was faster is just that a myth and thats why when checking out new apps especially x64 when I see reviews on sites about them say such as cnet or others and the reviewer states that they tried it there was no difference from the 32 bit version and it was not faster so they got rid of it and went back to the 32 bit version, I sit back and kinda laugh cause they don't realize what the difference is between 32 and 64 bit and did not run the app when testing it under heavy loads to see the difference they just installed ran looked to see if it was faster and when it's not scrapped the app lol ( sry thats funny to me) but that's what the difference is between 32 and 64 bit :)

Dark Knight
August 11th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Using x64 means you have full use of all your systems resources and are not held back by the limitations of x86 so when your applications ( if they are 64 bit of course as a x86 app on an x64 os will still have the x86 limitations ) are under heavy load and require more system resources they can use the resources that your system has 32 bit will slow and crash out at around 2 gigs of usage.

So like I said, a 32 bit browser will not perform better on a 64 bit system because as you said, after about 2 gigs of load it will start to crash, unlike a 64 bit browser that will have full access to your systems resources.

I just don't understand, more and more users are going the 64 bit way but yet Firefox has not yet come out with a 64 bit browser.

August 11th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight), that's not completely right. mozilla still release the 64 bit nightly's which is what toady is building cyberfox off of.

Dark Knight
August 11th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight), that's not completely right. mozilla still release the 64 bit nightly's which is what toady is building cyberfox off of.
But aren't the nightly builds prone to more bugs Chucky?

From the Firefox Forums:

These Nightly builds are meant more for testers and devs as they get checkins pretty much everyday and therefore a update each day as a result. Also the Win64 Nightlies are supported even less now as they have since been downgraded to Tier-3 platform more recently while the officially supported Win32, Mac OSX 32/64-bit and Linux 2/64-bit builds are Tier-1 platform. The Win64 nightlies are still more for the purpose of catching regressions/breakages as it is possible to break Win64 builds without affecting any of the officially supported builds.

razorsedge
August 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM
So like I said, a 32 bit browser will not perform better on a 64 bit system because as you said, after about 2 gigs of load it will start to crash, unlike a 64 bit browser that will have full access to your systems resources.

I just don't understand, more and more users are going the 64 bit way but yet Firefox has not yet come out with a 64 bit browser.

Hey Bud,

Chucky is just a bit off there, Toady takes the mozilla source code they put out for each build ( as mozilla is open source ) and takes the code then compiles it in 64 bit. You can take basically any app and make a 64 bit compile of it if you have the source code of the application. There of course will be bugs at times when making the compile that you have to will need to fix or find work arounds for. It's the compilers that you use in this case with Toady and cyberfox its MSVC and Intel c++ ( intel c++ for the intel version ) that do the compiles of the code in 64 bit.

AS for what your saying as well about everyone going 64 bit and mozilla not putting much into their 64 bit builds ( they in fact had done away with the 64 bit compiles the nightly builds and were only brought back because of the outcry from the general public that uses them as more then 60% of all firefox users use the 64 bit versions of firefox by their stats even firefox's own people were caught off guard by the decision to do away with them and were also not happy about it ) it's a mystery to almost everyone why firefox does not do more for x64 versions but the pretty common theory for it is more so that microsoft tries to make it very hard especially on their newer os's for other browsers to be compatible. Microsoft actually tried to make windows 8 with the ability to only use Internet Explorer and were doing it that way at first till they were almost sued by google and mozilla about it then changed things so they would not be sued. Even adobe as well the x64 version of flash is quite new as well and that is pretty well a must need in your browser if your going to use one adobe was doing their photoshop suite in 64 bit for a while but took basically an eternity to make flash 64 bit so people could use 64 bit browsers.

It's just a bit sad that with the ability of x64 out there that still most companies only do x86 versions of their apps x86 is pretty well stone age these days with it's limitations especially with what todays computers can do. This is also in part the fault of microsoft as windows 7 was supposed to be the last os they were going to make in 32 bit format, they were supposed to start with x64 only for windows 8 and a 128 bit version os as well which would have been great but in the microsoft fashion since gates left they have gone back to 32 bit cause of the big shift to mobile os's and their products being made for mobile as mobile devices cant use the x64 platform as of yet so we are still stuck with the limited 32 bit platform for now lol

I find it honestly a bit amazing I have been using an x64 os since xp came out with the very first x64 version going on what dam has to be about 10 years ago by now and it has taken all this time basically since win 7 was released for most of the general joe public to make the switch to x64 kind of surprising eh :) Now 32 bit is the minority when it comes to os's as stats show for windows users that almost 70% of all people that run a windows operating system are on the x64 platform yet developers are still very slow to adapt their apps to native 64 bit lol

Dark Knight
August 11th, 2013, 03:45 AM
I find it honestly a bit amazing I have been using an x64 os since xp came out with the very first x64 version going on what dam has to be about 10 years ago by now and it has taken all this time basically since win 7 was released for most of the general joe public to make the switch to x64 kind of surprising eh :) Now 32 bit is the minority when it comes to os's as stats show for windows users that almost 70% of all people that run a windows operating system are on the x64 platform yet developers are still very slow to adapt their apps to native 64 bit lol

It kind of sucks because by using a 32 bit app you don't really get to use the potential of a 64 bit system.

From what I read over at the Mozilla Firefox forums, they are kind of snubbing their noses at a 64 bit build and do not have any intentions of doing one, except for nightly builds which are also falling by the way side. I really do not know how they are expected to compete with other browsers without ever doing 64 bit builds.

8pecxstudios
August 15th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Hi everyone

Sorry for the late reply did not even know about this thread till i browsed the forums.

x64 bit and x64bit browsers (under user concept and first perception of x64bit automatically think its going to be 1000 times faster) this is not the case x64bit allows the use of more system ram for one, it allows the ability to use and benefit from duel system namespace (system32, SYSWOW) its ability to be able to use the binary's in both system folders, its ability to make use of a cpu's x64bit instruction set and much more, witch is limited to quite an extent if on x32bit os or using x32bit binary's also the x32bit compilers face the same issues as x32bit programs.

using firefox under its intended os x32 the os is only capable of 2.93gb ram max depending on the motherboard bios most 2.5gb max an averaged x32bit os has 2gb ram now factor in the os vista\7 can run on 1gb ram but usually require 2gb ram for system stability so now if your x32bit os is using 2gb ram just for the os then you install programs that have processes ect these all use ram even drivers for your hardware components use ram so inturn your x32bit os is running with about 200mb - 0mb free ram, now you open a program like a web browser or email client it does not leave much ram so the system is slow, prone to lock ups and crashes and overall not a great user experience, now put an optimized browser into that mix that will require just a bit more resources to perform as intended but the os is already running on 0ram.

now lets look at x64bit os x64 bit is capable of running very large amounts of ram with todays standards 6gb is usually the minimum amount a x64bit user will have, some run x64bit with 4gb ram witch does not give much benifit. now you run an x32bit program on x64bit os the x32bit binary's (exe, dll, ect) can hit a max of 3.79gb ram usually lose stability and prone to crashing at around 2.5gb all tho these will be allot more stable on x64 then running on x32 due to they can use a little more ram. where an x64bit program shines it each (exe, dll, ect) can use 8gb plus ram so high resource intensive work that requires allot of data to be stored in the systems ram cache for the program to do its thing runs allot smoother and less prone to crashing not only that it can do more task\work then its x32 counterpart.

there are so many benifits of x64 but usually speed is at the bottom of the list most x64 bit apps once made x64bit then have code changes an optimizations to give it that speed boost on x64 os.

so x64 = stability
then you can add the (optional speed improvements).

now google chrome well i wont go in to much depth as not to offend or start a browser war lol but google chrome, yes is faster in some area's but overall goolge chrome is designed for noobs it has no ability to customize it or what ability it has is very lacking, now lets not get into how google chrome farms every little bit of data from your web browsing experience no matter what settings you turn on or off or extensions you install, Then there is the fact that Mozilla firefox was recently crowned the faster web browser :)

firefox or firefox based browser offer high level of customization and a huge array of addons to really personalize your web browsing experience also minus the (data farming) inturn firefox or its many variants offer so much more, Yes firefox does have flaws so does everything lol

overall web browsers, your pc or your pc setup is all personal preference its all your decision on what programs you use or how you customize your pc thats your choice and no one can tell you other wise, so at the end of the day what you do with your pc is your choice and no one can tell you different as its your freedom.

this video i did quite a few days ago playing around now the audio failed to record, i could have kept going but it was late and i was already 45minutes into it.

this is just an example as to why x64 bit is better then x32bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C38aLWum9xY

So remember your choice of browser, tee-shirt color or os is yours and yours along even your choice to wear girls cloths is yours and yours along lmao

XxHackThisxX
August 18th, 2013, 03:00 PM
so after reading all this,my choice is to stick with chrome,that is untill i add more ram.Im only using 4gb on a x64 bit system with windows 7 intel core i3,dual core with 4 processors.Understandably it's not as customizeable,and there are some serious security issues,but it's lightning quick while browsing,and the first initiation page is instantanious.So as soo as i upgrade to 8gb of ram i will then be going to cyberfox :) thanx for all the input.

daskas
November 29th, 2022, 03:40 PM
thanks