PDA

View Full Version : Another N00b Question

LupinePredator
February 27th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I would like to install some more themes to my machine. I have seen a couple of references instructing me to "uninstall" any custom theme that is currently running. So, my question(s):

How does one actually "uninstall" a theme? Is it simply a matter of reverting to the default Windows theme? I'm a bit confused by this instruction. As a side note, I've done that, but many of the HUD icons stayed behind in the Windows default theme - not sure what to do about that. I did revert the three dll files in UTP, but that had no effect.

I went into System Restore, to find the oldest restore point that had been created after I installed the HUD Evolution theme. I have absolutely no idea what happened, but there is only one restore point left, and that one is from the most recent Windows update. That leads me to this question: Aside from the three dll files that are patched by UTP, are there any other files that I would need to edit/replace in order to bring the system back to "clean" condition? If so, could someone let me know what those files are, and whether or not there are any special steps I need to take in order to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

XxHackThisxX
February 27th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I would like to install some more themes to my machine. I have seen a couple of references instructing me to "uninstall" any custom theme that is currently running. So, my question(s):

How does one actually "uninstall" a theme? Is it simply a matter of reverting to the default Windows theme? I'm a bit confused by this instruction. As a side note, I've done that, but many of the HUD icons stayed behind in the Windows default theme - not sure what to do about that. I did revert the three dll files in UTP, but that had no effect.

I went into System Restore, to find the oldest restore point that had been created after I installed the HUD Evolution theme. I have absolutely no idea what happened, but there is only one restore point left, and that one is from the most recent Windows update. That leads me to this question: Aside from the three dll files that are patched by UTP, are there any other files that I would need to edit/replace in order to bring the system back to "clean" condition? If so, could someone let me know what those files are, and whether or not there are any special steps I need to take in order to do that?

Have you tried rebuilding your icon cache? if not,follow these instructions:
1. Close and save anything that you are working on. This command will kill explorer and restart the computer when completed.

2. Open a command prompt in Windows 7 (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/947-command-prompt.html) or Windows 8 (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9702-command-prompt-open-windows-8-a.html).

3. In the command prompt, Copy and paste each command line below exactly as is one at a time and press enter after each command.

http://www.sevenforums.com/images/smilies/warnsmall.pngWARNING: The last command will restart the computer, so be sure to close and save anything that you are working on first.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
shutdown /r /f /t 00

4. The IconCache.db file has now been rebuilt.

XxHackThisxX
February 27th, 2014, 05:36 PM
If that does not work,go here>> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html . Go to option one and click on the download button and follow the instructions to automatically rebuild your icon cache.

XxHackThisxX
February 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
you could also try the sfc /scannow in the command prompt although i dont think that will work.Let me know how yah make out my friend :)

peter.pan
February 27th, 2014, 06:09 PM

Good day LupinePredator...i'm not sure what you want..but if you want to restore your icons then just run SFC to restore your icons to windows original icons but then you must re-patch your system....
Here is how to run SFC... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833#use%20the%20system%20file%20checker%20tool
Now if ya just want to get rid of some themes then go to...C/Windows/resources/Themes.....there you can delete the ones you dont want to use anymore ......Hop this helps
P.S
If you have a theme that dosnt have a installer then thats were you put it....C/Windows/resources/Themes :Smile:

LupinePredator
February 28th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! XxHackThisxX, I considered the SFC option, but in all honesty, I want to learn how to do this stuff manually as well as depending on software. I'll follow your command line instructions and report back tomorrow.

peter.pan, I'm basically wanting to return the system to a "clean" state, so that I need to run UTP again, and install multiple themes from there. (Not sure if I'm being clear about this) What caused me to make this post was seeing a reference in the installation instructions for a theme I downloaded from DeviantArt. The instructions stated, "Make sure you uninstall any theme that you may have running." I'm clear about where the files go, and I'm clear about how to use the Personalize function to switch themes. It was that warning to "uninstall" that confused me. At this point, I'm going to assume that the author meant that any currently running theme should be disabled - not actually uninstalled/deleted - and return to the Windows default theme before installing his theme.

Normally, I would just go ahead and do a system restore, but the only restore point left is one that was created after all the patching was done.

XxHackThisxX
February 28th, 2014, 02:44 AM
you are welcome my friend.I would suggest trying the sfc /scannow at the command prompt first.If that does not work then follow the instructions i posted for rebuilding your icon cache.Hope you get it fixed.let us know :)

peter.pan
February 28th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! XxHackThisxX, I considered the SFC option, but in all honesty, I want to learn how to do this stuff manually as well as depending on software. I'll follow your command line instructions and report back tomorrow.

peter.pan, I'm basically wanting to return the system to a "clean" state, so that I need to run UTP again, and install multiple themes from there. (Not sure if I'm being clear about this) What caused me to make this post was seeing a reference in the installation instructions for a theme I downloaded from DeviantArt. The instructions stated, "Make sure you uninstall any theme that you may have running." I'm clear about where the files go, and I'm clear about how to use the Personalize function to switch themes. It was that warning to "uninstall" that confused me. At this point, I'm going to assume that the author meant that any currently running theme should be disabled - not actually uninstalled/deleted - and return to the Windows default theme before installing his theme.

Normally, I would just go ahead and do a system restore, but the only restore point left is one that was created after all the patching was done.

Hi ....you dont have to uninstall themes...you can keep your themes and you dont have to run third party tools just run the sfc through command line run as admin reboot re patch and your good to go:Peace:

LupinePredator
February 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I kind of figured that there was no need to delete/uninstall, but I've learned not to assume... :D

I ended up having to use the manual process. For some reason, the sfc command wouldn't bring the icons back to default. It's back to normal now, though, and I want to reinstall the theme using the steps I've learned here. Once HUD Evolution is properly reinstalled, I'll begin to play with other themes.

Thanks a million for your help, guys.

XxHackThisxX
February 28th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I kind of figured that there was no need to delete/uninstall, but I've learned not to assume... :D

I ended up having to use the manual process. For some reason, the sfc command wouldn't bring the icons back to default. It's back to normal now, though, and I want to reinstall the theme using the steps I've learned here. Once HUD Evolution is properly reinstalled, I'll begin to play with other themes.

Thanks a million for your help, guys.

May i ask what manual steps you took? glad you go it fixed by the way :)

LupinePredator
February 28th, 2014, 09:18 PM
May i ask what manual steps you took? glad you go it fixed by the way :)

I followed the steps that you listed for me. It worked like a charm. I've also copy/pasted those steps into a Notepad file for future reference, should it be necessary. :Peace:

XxHackThisxX
February 28th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I followed the steps that you listed for me. It worked like a charm. I've also copy/pasted those steps into a Notepad file for future reference, should it be necessary. :Peace:

thankyou for sharing that as it is a good future reference for others with the same problem. :)

There is also one more way to rebuild your icon cache as a second option.
Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file. Reboot. This action will purge and rebuild the icon cache.

LupinePredator
March 3rd, 2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks, XxHackThisxX - another good piece of knowledge.