PDA

View Full Version : porting themes

musclehead52
March 5th, 2014, 04:53 AM
I dont suppose anyone out there has a detailed tutorial on porting themes to 8.1 huh? Ive asked but have never really gotten an answer to this and Id really like to start porting themes to 8.1 not just for me but for everyone, and I think Ive learned enough now to get a handle on it, if I had some directions for the first run.Just doesn't sound all that tough,but I dont know where to start.I assume its mainly wsb.1.5 beta,which I have, I also have visual studio 2013.Any input, help, or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.Thank you D'oh!

ONE MAN ARMY
March 5th, 2014, 05:04 AM
I agree. Would be great if someone could make a tutorial. I myself have not yet maid the jump to 8.1 yet But when I do if there is still no tutorial. I will be glad to make one. I do know a few people that are porting themes over. Maybe I can hit them up and see if they can make a tutorial. Ill send out some PM's.

musclehead52
March 5th, 2014, 05:22 AM
thanks for the quick reply bud.I have been asking this for a while and been steadily saving up themes to rework.Man I must have about 150 now,so Ill have my work cut out for me no doubt.But I think after 1 or 2 itll get a lot faster and maybe, I was hoping that after I learn it,that some of the stuff can just be cloned for a lot of the others.That could really be a great thing in itself.Never know tho till I git through that first one. Thanks and let me know if you caome up with anything.Hell It may still be to complicated for me but Ill not know till I see whats involved.Thanks oneMan.Matter of fact the stealth, all colors are one of my very favs,and am def. starting with those,no doubt,and Special Edition also.Love those themes,made me ill,at least, when I saw it was for 7:(

Lamia
March 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM
There is no much big deal for importing here you go instructions:
1. It's recommended that you have latest WSB version possible (less mistakes to fix after importing the theme).
2. On your Win8/8.1 open your WSB, and click Open -> Import Windows 7 style,
3. After your theme is loaded, click save and save it to other location and close WSB,
4. Open again WSB with your new saved theme file and click test (sometimes it will crash on testing, after all WSB is still beta so it's normal behavior),
5. Now when your theme run on test mode, you will notice some or a lot of mistakes, now it's your job to fix those mistakes and after that your theme is ready to use on your win8/8.1 os (of course you need all default theme files to work with but i'm sure you know that), enjoy!

musclehead52
March 5th, 2014, 08:11 AM
now I feel even dumber,Ok all that seems ok so far if a bit vague but I get it except for the I know this.(of course you need all default theme files to work with but i'm sure you know that).Duh what exactly is this meaning please.:(D'oh! OH and thanks a hell of a lot for such a quick reply and your help.I have saved themes so I assume they are the default files ?

Lamia
March 5th, 2014, 08:52 AM
now I feel even dumber,Ok all that seems ok so far if a bit vague but I get it except for the I know this.(of course you need all default theme files to work with but i'm sure you know that).Duh what exactly is this meaning please.:(D'oh! OH and thanks a hell of a lot for such a quick reply and your help.I have saved themes so I assume they are the default files ?
This means that your finished theme project have to look the same as for win 7 themes:
Themename.theme
Themename Directory

Inside Themename Directory have to be at least 4 default folders:
Themename.msstyles, Shell directory , Background/wallpaper directory , Start Orb directory - so people can load it in StartIsBack+ (all in one place) & Fonts directory
Optimal directories and files :: Sound Scheme directory, Cursors directory & Logo.png

Now you have everything you need to work with your future project, have fun! :peace:

musclehead52
March 5th, 2014, 08:58 AM
ok I get it. Hey thanks a lot for answering my questions, and I have plenty of time as I dont work So I guess Ill be busy.I appreciate ya and if I run into snags Ill figure it out I have another pc I can test stuff out on also.Thanks again