PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Windows 8.1 Update 1

Lamia
April 10th, 2014, 02:23 PM
Dear Virtual Customs community,

Today i install on mine Windows 8.1 x64 latest Windows 8.1 Spring Update 1 (cca 880 MB) via Windows Update,
After it was finally downloaded & installed, computer restart and after that wont start again (holds on black screen).
After i finally manage to boot him up, finally my desktop appers on my screen, BUT right click PERSONALIZE option don't work anymore,
complete windows was in high texture mode, startisback+ didn't respond etc. etc. other words all customization application loose their point to be installed.
I try to re-install everything but after that pc crash. After all that i decide to system restore and now is everything ok.
Those who didn't update their 8.1 OS with this latest update i recomand don't do it or try it but first make sure you make system restore point!
This is my case with latest update, hope other windows 8.1 users can share their experience with this latest update,

sincerely yours,

April 10th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Lamia (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/231164-Lamia) sure there isn't something in your system that conflicted with the update? cause others have done the update and had no problems. nothing was broken on the custom themes or anything else.

Lamia
April 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Lamia (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/231164-Lamia) sure there isn't something in your system that conflicted with the update? cause others have done the update and had no problems. nothing was broken on the custom themes or anything else.
Hmm then i don't know what can that be, i use all latest updated versions of all customization tools for windows 8.1!

Dark Knight
April 10th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I had all kinds of trouble with mine too, including hanging with a black screen on reboot, I tried to do the install both manually and through Windows update and neither worked. It was not untill I did a clean install that everything went ok.

BTW, the Windows 8.1 upgrade from the Windows store already comes with the spring update (update 1) in it.

Lamia
April 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM
I had all kinds of trouble with mine too, including hanging with a black screen on reboot, I tried to do the install both manually and through Windows update and neither worked. It was not untill I did a clean install that everything went ok.
BTW, the Windows 8.1 upgrade from the Windows store already comes with the spring update (update 1) in it.
Maybe if i delete all customization tools and put everything into default and try to update maybe it will be great move to do! :Smile:

devvv128
April 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM

You mean from MSDN.

Im don't facing any problem in same process except the aero glass error.

if someone have the free version of aero glass woo can't auto update , I recommend to uninstall aero glass before update windows 8.1 to update 1 from windows update.

Here is an ready version of aero glass for windows 8.1 update 1 with symbols included , if needed for someone.

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/69583153/file.html

Letícia®
April 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I also dragged myself for hours trying to solve it on my other machine

I had similar problems ... but I did it that the (Dark Knight) did ... and everything went well

I still trying to get used to windows 8.1 ... still think it needs of the some tweaking ... but that's just my taste

I still prefer windows 7 ... for the time being :flirt:

Lamia
April 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
You mean from MSDN.
Im don't facing any problem in same process except the aero glass error.
if someone have the free version of aero glass woo can't auto update , I recommend to uninstall aero glass before update.
Here is an ready version of aero glass for windows 8.1 update 1 with symbols included , if needed for someone.
You can use Winaeroglass its free and alternative application in case you are not ok with Aero Glass! :peace:

Lamia
April 10th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I also dragged myself for hours trying to solve it on my other machine
I had similar problems ... but I did it that the (Dark Knight) did ... and everything went well
I still trying to get used to windows 8.1 ... still think it needs of the some tweaking ... but that's just my taste
I still prefer windows 7 ... for the time being :flirt:

I try first delete all customization tools and then try to update OS with latest updates, maybe it will work, will update this thread, thank you for support boys and girls! :Smile:

Dark Knight
April 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I try first delete all customization tools and then try to update OS with latest updates, maybe it will work, will update this thread, thank you for support boys and girls! :Smile:

That's what I thought too ....... doesn't work at this point.

If you have been messing with the update trying to get to run correctly after the machine hanging and what not, chances are it will never run correctly, or to your liking anyway. My suggestion would be to do a clean install. It's the only way that your machine will get back to where it was ..... running wise.
I spent twelve hours on my Window 8.1 Core machine messing with it until I decided to just start over, My Windows 8.1 Pro machine updated without a hitch ..... go figure.:sigh:

devvv128
April 10th, 2014, 03:36 PM
That's what I thought too ....... doesn't work at this point.

If you have been messing with the update trying to get to run correctly after the machine hanging and what not, chances are it will never run correctly, or to your liking anyway. My suggestion would be to do a clean install. It's the only way that your machine will get back to where it was ..... running wise.
I spent twelve hours on my Window 8.1 Core machine messing with it until I decided to just start over, My Windows 8.1 Pro machine updated without a hitch ..... go figure.:sigh:

For me all customization is Ok after Update only system clock affected from this update. (Windows 8.1 Pro x64)

http://img.ctrlv.in/img/14/04/10/5346ba6f199fc.png

XxHackThisxX
April 10th, 2014, 05:51 PM
thank god i dont use windows 8..lol.I think i will stick to windows 7 for as long as i can or atleast till windows 8 works all the bugs out so that there is no problems with theme's. Thankyou for sharing lamia

April 10th, 2014, 05:59 PM
it's starting to sound like 8.1 pro doesn't get screwed up. guys and gals post what version of 8.1 you're running(including if it's 32 or 64 bit), what theme you're running, and what tools you used to get everything to your liking.

zadar023
April 10th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Today i install on mine Windows 8.1 x64 latest Windows 8.1 Spring Update 1 (cca 880 MB) via Windows Update,
After it was finally downloaded & installed, computer restart and after that wont start again (holds on black screen).
After i finally manage to boot him up, finally my desktop appers on my screen, BUT right click PERSONALIZE option don't work anymore,
complete windows was in high texture mode, startisback+ didn't respond etc. etc. other words all customization application loose their point to be installed.
I try to re-install everything but after that pc crash. After all that i decide to system restore and now is everything ok.
Those who didn't update their 8.1 OS with this latest update i recomand don't do it or try it but first make sure you make system restore point!
This is my case with latest update, hope other windows 8.1 users can share their experience with this latest update,

sincerely yours,

thanks lamia for warning...I am on W8.1 whit all your themes instaled and working everything fine after update....but all you need before update aplyng default theme and after that update windows and reinstal again only UxStyle...thats it

heretikos
April 10th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I too had black screen after update. I restored from system image. I don't know why, but UltraUXThemePatcher and UXTheme Multi-Patcher will not ever let me uninstall and restore the files. I change the theme to a basic theme before hand, and still, black screen at boot up. It's like once I install any theme patcher in Windows 8.1, and if there's an update or a problem that it conflicts with, well that's a fresh install I have to do again (I just use a system image of a pretty fresh install). Any info on this, or perhaps me doing something wrong or dumb, please let me know.

Black_knight
April 10th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Already went through that horrid experience. Never Updating again!

devvv128
April 10th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I too had black screen after update. I restored from system image. I don't know why, but UltraUXThemePatcher and UXTheme Multi-Patcher will not ever let me uninstall and restore the files. I change the theme to a basic theme before hand, and still, black screen at boot up. It's like once I install any theme patcher in Windows 8.1, and if there's an update or a problem that it conflicts with, well that's a fresh install I have to do again (I just use a system image of a pretty fresh install). Any info on this, or perhaps me doing something wrong or dumb, please let me know.

Im to get black screen but i thinks this is normal after windows update maybe needed to wait.

Dark Knight
April 10th, 2014, 08:55 PM
The thing is that if you are using Windows 8 or 8.1 pre update 1 you have to update to update 1 if you want to receive patches and updates beyond May 13, 2014, Microsoft has made this update mandatory. If you don't you will not recieve patches and updates beyond the date aforementioned until you do.

Read about it here : Windows 8.1 Update is required for future Windows 8.1 patches (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2140803/windows-8-1-update-is-required-for-future-windows-8-1-patches.html)

it's starting to sound like 8.1 pro doesn't get screwed up. guys and gals post what version of 8.1 you're running(including if it's 32 or 64 bit), what theme you're running, and what tools you used to get everything to your liking.

I have 2 personal machines, one is Windows 8.1 Core the other is Windows 8.1 Pro, both are 64 bit, the only problem I have displaying themes is that after initially installing any theme everything is fine but after a while I start to get white areas on dialogue boxes such as "save as" and it doesn't matter which browser you use. If I refresh the theme all goes back to normal for a while but the white areas eventually come back. The problem is not theme specific, it happens with all themes on both machines.
I've been told that this is an Old New Explorer issue that is going to be addressed in the next version, I've tried to get an answer about it on the MSFN site a week or two ago but the author never replied, so it remains to be seen.

devvv128
April 10th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I have 2 personal machines, one is Windows 8.1 Core the other is Windows 8.1 Pro, both are 64 bit, the only problem I have displaying themes is that after initially installing any theme everything is fine but after a while I start to get white areas on dialogue boxes such as "save as" and it doesn't matter which browser you use. If I refresh the theme all goes back to normal for a while but the white areas eventually come back. The problem is not theme specific, it happens with all themes on both machines.
I've been told that this is an Old New Explorer issue that is going to be addressed in the next version, I've tried to get an answer about it on the MSFN site a week or two ago but the author never replied, so it remains to be seen.

This problem maybe is from awake if you have screensaver and then loging in windows some areas get white.

Dark Knight
April 10th, 2014, 10:58 PM
This problem maybe is from awake if you have screensaver and then loging in windows some areas get white.

May be so, I run a screensaver and after about 30 minutes idle the computer goes into hibernation / sleep, in any event it should not happen at all.

YourNumbr1Fan
April 11th, 2014, 05:18 AM
(8.1 Pro x64 w/Media Center)

Had the same thing happen yesterday mate. So I did a clean re-install, didn't patch my system until after update kb2919355, and was able to re-install most of my favorite things. But for some reason, my Timedate.cpl mods won't work post-kb2919355....and 3rd party themes render the new right-click menus for metro apps start screen/All Apps (to re-size, un-install, etc.) of no effect. The only way I can do anything with the tiles is to switch to a default MS theme, then back to my favorite 3rd-party vs.

With 3rd-party theme:

With default MS theme:

The ui 'upgrades' that this update installs is PURE GARBAGE.....Almost ready to revert to 7 again. I told neiio (Jamie Green at DA) and some of the other theme-designers about the start-screen/All Apps bug, and they seem to think it's something not fixable from WSB....Who knows.

F---in hate MS now even more than I used to.

Here's what I have installed atm, working for the most part "ok" post-kb2919355:

I'm hesitant to install too much right now. This isn't half of what I normally would have installed. I'm just going slow, installing things one-at-a-time, restarting after each install to test for black-screen issues at reboot, trying to see what might cause it....Plus I'm making backups, after each success, with Acronis so that when I hit upon the program that does give me the black-screen of death I can re-install, run Acronis, restore the backup from right before said culprit killed my os. I'll be sure to post my results here, but, even though, it might be something else entirely that kills your post-kb2919355 Win8.1 os.

If anyone figures out why modding the timedate.cpl doesn't work after the update.....or why 3rd-party themes mess up the right-click in the metro ui...by all means share. (And please don't say "because Windows 8 sucks", ok? We need some serious input here, not more useless 8-hating.)

Another thing I've noticed: several of my installed programs are acting buggy now. Like the 'open with' function on right-click...If I like choose to open a picture with one of my installed programs, such as FastStone Image Viewer or Photoshop, it won't open via the 'open with' function in my right-click. Then, a little later, when I'm doing something else, the dang thing will open with the program on it's own! Like some things are delayed a few minutes or something! Gawd....I wonder what's coming down the pike NEXT with the idiots in Redmond?

riroque
April 11th, 2014, 06:12 AM
(8.1 Pro x64 w/Media Center)
or why 3rd-party themes mess up the right-click in the metro ui...by all means Please share. (And please don't say "because Windows 8 sucks", ok? We need some serious input here, not more useless 8-hating.)

I found this in another forum:
"1) Run your 8.1 msstyle in WSB Beta in Ribbon mode
2) Click Add Class
3) Type in ImmersiveStart::Menu
4) Save the msstyle
5) Reopen it and you should have a new class Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu
6) Add a fillcolor to ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpBackground
7) Import the image and copy/paste the properties from Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem in the 8.1.1 aero msstyles into the Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem in your msstyle ( image has to be solid colors)
8) Save it and you'll have the Start Screen PopUp Menu"

Lamia
April 11th, 2014, 08:14 AM
After all solutions i decide to start everything from scratch, so far so good, still need to update my OS with customization tools so i can start working on new imports, i forgot how much work i have when everything start from scratch! :Smile:

stu
April 11th, 2014, 10:22 AM
ive just done the update i uninstalled oldnew thingy , startis back , my theme i changed back to there sh1t one , areoglass uninstalled then did the update and everything is perfect stil but i only reinstalled win8.1 pro with the spring update on monday and there was 6 updates then so i put them in monday then my theme etc etc and then today i installed kb2919355 and my timedate is perfect stil

ps im running MRGRIMS FULL HUD EVOLUTION THEME

YourNumbr1Fan
April 11th, 2014, 03:31 PM
This is very helpful mate, thanks!:superman:

I found this in another forum:
"1) Run your 8.1 msstyle in WSB Beta in Ribbon mode
2) Click Add Class
3) Type in ImmersiveStart::Menu
4) Save the msstyle
5) Reopen it and you should have a new class Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu
6) Add a fillcolor to ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpBackground
7) Import the image and copy/paste the properties from Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem in the 8.1.1 aero msstyles into the Unknown > ImmersiveStart::Menu > PopUpItem in your msstyle ( image has to be solid colors)
8) Save it and you'll have the Start Screen PopUp Menu"

Mr GRiM
April 12th, 2014, 04:21 AM
This is very helpful mate, thanks!:superman:

Yeah I was the one who came up with that solution after seeing it on the update 1 aero theme and informed PandaX about the new class that needed to be added, I have told one of the themers on DA about it and posted the solution on MSFN so no doubt it's making it's rounds.

As for the update 1, I had no issues with all my programs installed, OldNewExplorer, Aero Glass and SIB, my Aero Glass updated itself straight after boot and works fine, the only thing I discovered about update 1 is MS has now added a Digital Signature to the SndVol.exe and now the icons can't be changed without breaking it, the only way to have those icons now is to use the SndVol.exe from the pre update 1

These Digital Signatures are a real pain in the ass and MS seems to be adding them to more and more of the system files making it impossible to alter them, if they do the same to the imageres.dll then that will mean the end of custom icons pretty much, damn you MS!

YourNumbr1Fan
April 12th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I did read in the WSB forum that it was your idea, not long after I posted here (http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2070.0). Good thinking with that! I do see the 'Unknown' map in WSB Beta in the default aero theme, very bottom, for the ImmersiveStart.

Every time I try to export the properties my WSB crashes!

I half-assed modded neiio's Work vs, added a useable right-click:

I didn't do a good job, though, as you can see. I wonder if you'd fix it for me, Mark? Please???:Smile:

Also, is the digital signature the reason my timedate.cpl mods are not working? Can I get around it fairly easy?

I agree, MS BE DAMNED!:anger:

Yeah I was the one who came up with that solution after seeing it on the update 1 aero theme and informed PandaX about the new class that needed to be added, I have told one of the themers on DA about it and posted the solution on MSFN so no doubt it's making it's rounds.

As for the update 1, I had no issues with all my programs installed, OldNewExplorer, Aero Glass and SIB, my Aero Glass updated itself straight after boot and works fine, the only thing I discovered about update 1 is MS has now added a Digital Signature to the SndVol.exe and now the icons can't be changed without breaking it, the only way to have those icons now is to use the SndVol.exe from the pre update 1

These Digital Signatures are a real pain in the ass and MS seems to be adding them to more and more of the system files making it impossible to alter them, if they do the same to the imageres.dll then that will mean the end of custom icons pretty much, damn you MS!

Mr GRiM
April 12th, 2014, 06:57 AM
I did read in the WSB forum that it was your idea, not long after I posted here (http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2070.0). Good thinking with that! I do see the 'Unknown' map in WSB Beta in the default aero theme, very bottom, for the ImmersiveStart.

Every time I try to export the properties my WSB crashes!

I half-assed modded neiio's Work vs, added a useable right-click:

I didn't do a good job, though, as you can see. I wonder if you'd fix it for me, Mark? Please???:Smile:

Also, is the digital signature the reason my timedate.cpl mods are not working? Can I get around it fairly easy?

I agree, MS BE DAMNED!:anger:

Add a font property to PopUpItem to fix that menu, as for the timedate.cpl, I just changed mine manually using restorator and seems to to change OK, there was no digital signature on that one so not sure what the problem would be for yours.

Lamia
April 12th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Finally i finish complete customization of mine pc, everything works perfect, i must ask VC community one big thing: do you by any chance have registry tweaks to speed up mine W8.1 OS? I have this tweaks for W7, hope you can share some good tweaks for W8.1 for mine old machine! :Peace:

YourNumbr1Fan
April 12th, 2014, 08:33 AM
In my version of WSB (1.5.4.6), I can't even add a class or run in ribbon mode. No options to add anything....Have no idea what is wrong.

Update: Nevermind! I was able to export the Classes from the Aero theme as a stylehack, then add it to 'Unknown' in Work:

Success!

Add a font property to PopUpItem to fix that menu, as for the timedate.cpl, I just changed mine manually using restorator and seems to to change OK, there was no digital signature on that one so not sure what the problem would be for yours.

joderiz
April 12th, 2014, 12:45 PM
my english is very little ,i'm sorry but right click work fine only whith hud evolution ,all other theme no work

IceBabee
April 14th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I don't have windows 8.....I have windows 7 but, I don't know whether to switch or not? Thanks for all the info though, I'm sure it will help some people! :girl:

YourNumbr1Fan
April 15th, 2014, 09:08 PM
My solution for now: Restored my setup from before Update 1, and will just bypass kb2919355 until MS rolls out a hotfix or something. Hopefully it won't be too awful long a wait.

Lamia
April 16th, 2014, 07:52 AM
My solution for now: Restored my setup from before Update 1, and will just bypass kb2919355 until MS rolls out a hotfix or something. Hopefully it won't be too awful long a wait.
In my case i make fresh install of mine OS, now i'm ready to go with all latest updates, everything works perfect! :peace:

max68
April 20th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Hello everyone I had not noticed anything after update of W8.1 then I went in the start I wanted to reduce the icons and I realized that something was not right aero glass also did not accept it and I had to resort to uninstall
now how do I customize my W8.1 again with your Themi?
I just have to uninstall and reinstall ultrauxstyle or remove all patches and give up the customization?

devvv128
April 20th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Hello everyone I had not noticed anything after update of W8.1 then I went in the start I wanted to reduce the icons and I realized that something was not right aero glass also did not accept it and I had to resort to uninstall
now how do I customize my W8.1 again with your Themi?
I just have to uninstall and reinstall ultrauxstyle or remove all patches and give up the customization?

You need only to uninstall aeroglass if you dont have purchase an key , Other tools don't have any trouble in updating!.

max68
April 21st, 2014, 04:06 PM
You need only to uninstall aeroglass if you dont have purchase an key , Other tools don't have any trouble in updating!.

Ok friend that I've done maybe Themi are not compatible with the default windows thema no harm I note that I try to delete them also had no update 1 x thank you very much your advice Regards max68 :sad:

Jarminx
April 23rd, 2014, 01:20 AM
Had no issues with mine except app store now requires that Windows Firewall remain online. I had it disabled in my System Configuration.. Once I enabled it again all my apps started working again.. :)

Jarminx
April 28th, 2014, 02:44 PM

sincerely yours,

Don't forget Microsoft announced no future Windows Updates for those who don't update to the Update 1.. I notice you say don't update your 8.1 system.. This tid bit of info needs to be taken into consideration as I'm sure we don't want to end up like WinXP users.. ;)

April 29th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Don't forget Microsoft announced no future Windows Updates for those who don't update to the Update 1.. I notice you say don't update your 8.1 system.. This tid bit of info needs to be taken into consideration as I'm sure we don't want to end up like WinXP users.. ;)

Seemingly OT. And how exactly WinXP users end up?

Jarminx
April 29th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Seemingly OT. And how exactly WinXP users end up?

WinXP users will no longer have any future Windows Updates.. That's how Win8.1 users will end up if they don't download and install Update 1 ;)

Lamia
April 29th, 2014, 12:35 PM
WinXP users will no longer have any future Windows Updates.. That's how Win8.1 users will end up if they don't download and install Update 1 ;)
I don't see reason for anyone not to update, they all need to read this thread and some comments below and move on, everything works with this latest update 1 on many customized pc's! :Peace:

April 29th, 2014, 12:54 PM
O.K. folks I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I have been waiting to install 8.1 until I was satisfied that it would not break cause it had problems with custom themes. Well now with the Spring update we are at Windows 8.1.1 and I have it from several themers and other that I trust that if i wanted to install 8.1.1 today i should not run into any problems with theming it. The only piece of advice I will give is if you're that nervous about theming 8, 8.1, or 8.1.1 them create a restore point, image, snapshot before you you do each step. there really is reason to be scared to theme 8, cause you can alway roll back to a earlier point if necessary.

Lamia
April 29th, 2014, 01:18 PM
O.K. folks I'm going to through my two cents in here. I have been waiting to install 8.1 until I was satisfied that it would not break cause it had problems with custom themes. Well now with the Spring update we are at Windows 8.1.1 and I have it from several themers and other that I trust that if i wanted to install 8.1.1 today i should not run into any problems with theming it. The only piece of advice I will give is if you're that nervous about theming 8, 8.1, or 8.1.1 them create a restore point, image, snapshot before you you do each step. there really is reason to be scared to theme 8, cause you can alway roll back to a earlier point if necessary.
Completely agree with you mate, also users can always check here for some threads and experiences from other people and there shouldn't be any problem on their end! :peace:

Jarminx
April 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM
O.K. folks I'm going to throw my two cents in here. I have been waiting to install 8.1 until I was satisfied that it would not break cause it had problems with custom themes. Well now with the Spring update we are at Windows 8.1.1 and I have it from several themers and other that I trust that if i wanted to install 8.1.1 today i should not run into any problems with theming it. The only piece of advice I will give is if you're that nervous about theming 8, 8.1, or 8.1.1 them create a restore point, image, snapshot before you you do each step. there really is reason to be scared to theme 8, cause you can alway roll back to a earlier point if necessary.

I would normally agree, however, this last round I tried with my system and it really killed it.. It locked my HDD and I had to trick the system into thinking it was unlocked, but by doing that it also wouldn't recognize any restore points or earlier versions. I don't want to scare anyone with this though.. I think part of the issue was AeroGlass or whatever it's called as I hit a DWM loop and that's caused by the AeroGlass being broken due to Update 1. It'll be awhile for me to try to theme again but I do plan to have at it again.. I'm a persistent little bugger aren't I? lol I really like the themes and want something to match my system, but I plan to get another HDD for backup before I do as the attempt with the old HDD has failed due to hardware issues on that HDD.. But it's like 10 years old too so that was expected..

April 30th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Jarminx (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/272611-Jarminx) then you did something wrong. i have onemanarmy, mr grim, gws953, plus other that swear all is well. you may want to try rollback rx, with it if something does go south you simply restart your system enter the rollback console and select your restore point. i found unlike system restore the snapshots in rollback rx can't be broken.

Dark Knight
April 30th, 2014, 02:06 AM
I am using Windows 8.1 Update 1 both Pro and Core on two seperate machines both running custom themes and have experienced none of the problems outlined here, actually no problems at all. Aero Glass works perfectly.

The Nude Dude is right ...... your doing something wrong. :nerd:

Jarminx
April 30th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I'm not doing anything wrong.. It was a known fact that AeroGlass had some issues when Update 1 came out and that's when I tried to install the themes.. I went for the themes that had everything in one install file because it was easiest and I liked the themes.. Those themes have the AeroGlass that worked before Update 1 so when that part of the install came up, my system went haywire and all was lost. Look up this information online, I am not the only one that had the DWM error and boot loops..

freak69ize
April 30th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not doing anything wrong.. It was a known fact that AeroGlass had some issues when Update 1 came out and that's when I tried to install the themes.. I went for the themes that had everything in one install file because it was easiest and I liked the themes.. Those themes have the AeroGlass that worked before Update 1 so when that part of the install came up, my system went haywire and all was lost. Look up this information online, I am not the only one that had the DWM error and boot loops..

Ive also had the same issue with Aeroglass and it not being compatible with my DWM. It took hours to get my pc back in working order.

Dark Knight
April 30th, 2014, 09:18 PM

Then why not opt for the manual install files instead of using an installer? Or just try to install one manually to see if you have the same problem.

I manually install all of my themes and have never used ones with installers because there always seems to be some sort of problem with them. I have never run into a problem manually installing themes whether it be Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1. Aero Glass works flawlessly for me on 8.1 Update 1.

freak69ize
April 30th, 2014, 09:45 PM
I just tried installing Rollback rx and when it restarted all i get is a black screen with a lil white - <-- one of those. It say to press the home key but i dont know which one is home on my keyboard so i tried pressing them all

April 30th, 2014, 10:29 PM
your home button says home right on it(in the settings you can also assign another key if you wish). yes when you restart your system after it starts it reboot press and hold the home button, then you will get the rollback rx console screen. if you are going to do a restore that's where to do it from. if you're not then at that screen hit esc to go into windows.

April 30th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) is there any chance of you doing a 3 to 5 minute video showing these guys a couple of the windows 8 themes and using winver to show them that you are running 8.1 with update 1? i only ask cause i have not installed 8.1 yet, i'm hoping this weekend that i will finally get to care for my comp instead of fixing others. i can't speak for you, but i know i'm getting tired of repeating what is fact.

freak69ize
April 30th, 2014, 10:53 PM
your home button says home right on it(in the settings you can also assign another key if you wish). yes when you restart your system after it starts it reboot press and hold the home button, then you will get the rollback rx console screen. if you are going to do a restore that's where to do it from. if you're not then at that screen hit esc to go into windows.

Thanks bro.. went ahead and uninstalled it.. lol

Dark Knight
May 1st, 2014, 12:48 AM
Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) is there any chance of you doing a 3 to 5 minute video showing these guys a couple of the windows 8 themes and using winver to show them that you are running 8.1 with update 1? i only ask cause i have not installed 8.1 yet, i'm hoping this weekend that i will finally get to care for my comp instead of fixing others. i can't speak for you, but i know i'm getting tired of repeating what is fact.

Below are 4 screenshots of my system Windows 8.1 update 1 Core, the first two shots shows the theme that I am running (Verbum Honoris) while also sowing the version of Windows 8.1 Update 1 that I am running by running the command winver. The third screen shows the same thing along with the start menu (I use StartisBack Pro) to show that AeroGlass indeed does work, the last screenshot is just a screen of my desktop.

Like I said, I install all my themes manually. I am going to tell you step by step how to accomplish this without the use of an installer starting with a clean system without any themes or extras installed, because it really is not hard.

1.) Install UltraUXThemepatcher 2.3, download it here: http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_uxtheme.php?lang=en
2.) Install AeroGlass which can be downloaded here: http://glass8.berlios.de/
3.) Install Ribbon Disabler which can be downloaded here:http://winaero.com/download.php?view.18
4.) Install OldNewExplorer which can be downloaded here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-make-your-81-explorer-work-like-win78-one/
5.) Download and install StartisBack which can be downloaded here: http://startisback.com/
6.) Download and extract the desired theme from Virtual Customs, these themes usually come in .7z or .rar format (both can be extracted with winrar).

I am going to use the theme Verbum Honoris as an example which you can download here :http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65136-Verbum-Honoris-Windows-8-1-Theme

Extract the contents of the .7z file to your desktop, Once extracted you should have two folders on your desktop, one labeled Extras and the other will be labeled Theme, the Theme folder is what you want, double click the Theme folder to open it, inside will be a Verbum Honoris.theme file and a Verbum Honoris folder, select and copy both the .theme file and the entire Theme folder.
Navigate to your C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder, inside the Windows Theme folder in an open area paste the two files you copied previously ( This can also be accomplished by dragging and dropping the files from the desktop also, I prefer to paste because I save copies of all my theme files).

Your theme is now installed, right click on the desktop, select "personalize", you should now see the installed theme in the window, double click to change from your current theme to your new theme.

You can now go back to the Extras folder on your desktop and install any extras that you wish.

These steps work on all versions of Windows 8.1, like I mentioned before I have two 8.1 systems, one Core and one Pro, both run custom themes and I do the manual theme installs the same way on both.

*NOTE* ... Steps 2, 3, 4 & 5 are optional, one or all four of the aforementioned steps can be left out but be aware that certain parts of your installed theme may not look right or as the designer intended. Also these steps are a ONE TIME install, there is no need to install them every time you install a theme, they are a once and done deal, unless you reformat and reinstall Windows. Also, the next time you install a theme you can disregard steps one thru five.

If you installed start is back you may have to open your start menu, right click in an open area and select properties, in the page that opens select appearance, you can here choose the start menu that was designed for the theme or any of the others contained there. You can also change the start orb here to the one designed for the theme. The start orb for the theme is located in the folder you pasted into the Windows theme folder. It is located at C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Verbum Honoris\Start Orb
Or you may choose to stay with the standard Windows start button.

I know it sounds like a lot but it is really not, once you get the hang of it, all of what I have outlined above can be accomplished in 5 minutes or less.

ADVICE : for all those that are new to installing themes, stay away from themes with installers, more times than none you will have problems with them, manual installs are the way to go. Also 7tsp does not play all that well with Windows 8.1, When I ran Windows 7 I used 7tsp to install icon packs and it worked really well, this is not the case with 8.1. If you are going to install an icon pack my advice would be to use one of the icon packs designed by Mr. Grim that have their own installers for Windows 8.1.

For those who would like to have a copy of this I created a PDF and a Windows Word .DOCX. I would recommend the PDF, looks better and far smaller.

May 1st, 2014, 12:57 AM
Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) thanks, now if anyone has problems after your last post i'm washing my hands of them. thanks again

Jarminx
May 1st, 2014, 02:42 AM
So. Uhm. I decided not to try AeroGlass just because I don't want to remotely risk another refresh/reformat because that would be the 4th time doing that.. However, I do believe the main theme files are... Working :)

Aries
May 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Below are 4 screenshots of my system Windows 8.1 update 1 Core, the first two shots shows the theme that I am running (Verbum Honoris) while also sowing the version of Windows 8.1 Update 1 that I am running by running the command winver. The third screen shows the same thing along with the start menu (I use StartisBack Pro) to show that AeroGlass indeed does work, the last screenshot is just a screen of my desktop.

Like I said, I install all my themes manually. I am going to tell you step by step how to accomplish this without the use of an installer starting with a clean system without any themes or extras installed, because it really is not hard.

1.) Install UltraUXThemepatcher 2.3, download it here: http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_uxtheme.php?lang=en
3.) Install Ribbon Disabler which can be downloaded here:http://winaero.com/download.php?view.18
4.) Install OldNewExplorer which can be downloaded here: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-make-your-81-explorer-work-like-win78-one/
5.) Download and install StartisBack which can be downloaded here: http://startisback.com/
6.) Download and extract the desired theme from Virtual Customs, these themes usually come in .7z or .rar format (both can be extracted with winrar).

I am going to use the theme Verbum Honoris as an example which you can download here :http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65136-Verbum-Honoris-Windows-8-1-Theme

Extract the contents of the .7z file to your desktop, Once extracted you should have two folders on your desktop, one labeled Extras and the other will be labeled Theme, the Theme folder is what you want, double click the Theme folder to open it, inside will be a Verbum Honoris.theme file and a Verbum Honoris folder, select and copy both the .theme file and the entire Theme folder.
Navigate to your C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder, inside the Windows Theme folder in an open area paste the two files you copied previously ( This can also be accomplished by dragging and dropping the files from the desktop also, I prefer to paste because I save copies of all my theme files).

Your theme is now installed, right click on the desktop, select "personalize", you should now see the installed theme in the window, double click to change from your current theme to your new theme.

You can now go back to the Extras folder on your desktop and install any extras that you wish.

These steps work on all versions of Windows 8.1, like I mentioned before I have two 8.1 systems, one Core and one Pro, both run custom themes and I do the manual theme installs the same way on both.

*NOTE* ... Steps 2, 3, 4 & 5 are optional, one or all four of the aforementioned steps can be left out but be aware that certain parts of your installed theme may not look right or as the designer intended. Also these steps are a ONE TIME install, there is no need to install them every time you install a theme, they are a once and done deal, unless you reformat and reinstall Windows. Also, the next time you install a theme you can disregard steps one thru five.

If you installed start is back you may have to open your start menu, right click in an open area and select properties, in the page that opens select appearance, you can here choose the start menu that was designed for the theme or any of the others contained there. You can also change the start orb here to the one designed for the theme. The start orb for the theme is located in the folder you pasted into the Windows theme folder. It is located at C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Verbum Honoris\Start Orb

I know it sounds like a lot but it is really not, once you get the hang of it, all of what I have outlined above can be accomplished in 5 minutes or less.

ADVICE : for all those that are new to installing themes, stay away from themes with installers, more times than none you will have problems with them, manual installs are the way to go. Also 7tsp does not play all that well with Windows 8.1, When I ran Windows 7 I used 7tsp to install icon packs and it worked really well, this is not the case with 8.1. If you are going to install an icon pack my advice would be to use one of the icon packs designed by Mr. Grim that have their own installers for Windows 8.1.

Simple and to the point.nice tutorial.sounds easy enough to me.thankyou for posting this.

Dark Knight
May 1st, 2014, 12:59 PM
Simple and to the point.nice tutorial.sounds easy enough to me.thankyou for posting this.

:laughing: No problem at all, I have to do this at least once a year or so, if you look around the forum here I am sure you will find another I wrote. :peace:

May 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM
For those who would like to have a copy above post on how to install themes in Windows 8.1 with update 1 I created a PDF and a Windows Word .DOCX. I would recommend the PDF, looks better and far smaller, and it's more likely people will have a PDF viewer that they will have Office Word.

Dark Knight
May 1st, 2014, 03:13 PM

For those who would like to have a copy of this I created a PDF and a Windows Word .DOCX. I would recommend the PDF, looks better and far smaller.

Could we sticky this post somewhere too?
I am pretty sure this is not the first time I had to write something like this, not for 8.1 but I am pretty sure I did one for Windows 7 a while back.

Thanks! :peace:

Jarminx
May 1st, 2014, 10:57 PM
I saw one for Win7 underneath where the themes are located on the main forum page, but this one for 8.1 should be posted and pinned in that same section.. Was a lot easier to understand than that Win7 one, although I understood it before I'm just stating your's was a lot easier read ;)

Jarminx
May 2nd, 2014, 06:28 AM
I >REALLY< wanted that orb.. Don't care much for the Win7 start menu as I'll never ever use it, but it still looks cool.. :p And I have the orb! :D

cburleigh81
May 2nd, 2014, 09:21 AM
I will have to agree...I installed all the fancies except Aero and all was perfect and awesome. As soon as I installed Aero, I got the DWM incompatability and my PC went crazy! fortunately after a reboot and 30 min of patience I got Aero uninstalled without having to restore or reimage. BUt there is definately an issue with Aero and the Update 1...

Dark Knight
May 6th, 2014, 09:02 PM
The few that are experiencing DWM incompatabilities may want to read this ....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Window_Manager)

It may not be so much as a Windows 8.1 update 1 compatability issue with AeroGlass that is giving you a hard time but more if an incompatability issue due to your graphics card or driver not being able to display transparent graphics.
It's just a thought that you may want to check into being as the vast majority of us have no problem with AeroGlass and only a few do.