PDA

View Full Version : Can't uninstll/restore theme patchers for windows 8.1

heretikos
April 10th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot. No matter what, I can't uninstall 3rd party theme patchers from windows 8.1. UltraUXThemePatcher or UXTheme patcher. Uninstalling them leaves a black screen at login screen, and so does SFC/Scan now. Why won't these programs restore the original files when I uninstall them?

Dark Knight
April 11th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot. No matter what, I can't uninstall 3rd party theme patchers from windows 8.1. UltraUXThemePatcher or UXTheme patcher. Uninstalling them leaves a black screen at login screen, and so does SFC/Scan now. Why won't these programs restore the original files when I uninstall them?

I read in a previous post you made you had reinstalled from a system imgage....by chance was the theme patcher part of that system image? if it was that could be the reason you are having a hard time uninstalling it. Under normal conditions you should be able to uninstall it without a problem, this is the first I have ever heard of something like this.

I keep a system image too but mine is of a cleanly installed system with only the most important programs that I need right away. No themes and no theme install tools or patchers.
Sounds to me that you may have to perform a clean install. You could try uninstalling in safe mode first.

heretikos
April 11th, 2014, 01:12 AM
No. Since my laptop came with Win 8 installed, and I moved to a SSD, I have had to do a fresh install of windows 8, then uodate to 8.1 and I made a system image of that just bare, for a last resort on my SSD. I just can't install any 3rd party them patcher and then uninstall/restore it, without getting the black screen at the log in. I'm really not understanding why I'm having this issue. It's like, once I patch it, I'm stuck. And that won't do, because of future updates and what not. I'm not a total noob, but I've tried to sfc /scan now at all types of different times. I've restored from system image to a computer state that is literally just windows 8.1, no software, just windows 8.1. And I keep getting these results. There's really little room for error on my behalf, I wonder what I'm doing wrong, or what the issue is. I wouldn't really care, but if there's a new update, I won't be able to uninstall the theme patcher and then after the update, I'll be stuck with the black log in screen.

heretikos
April 11th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it. Could you please just tell me what third party theme patcher you use and if you are able to restore the patched files with it?

Dark Knight
April 11th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it. Could you please just tell me what third party theme patcher you use and if you are able to restore the patched files with it?

I use the UltraUxTheme Patcher V2.3

I have no problems whatsoever out of it whether installing or uninstalling, no black screens or anything of the sort.
The current version of UltraUxTheme patcher is v2.3 and you should download it from here : http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_uxtheme.php?lang=en
As far as your problem goes, I have never heard anything like it, you may want to wait until someone who has maybe heard of something like this to help you out, other than me telling you to do a clean install is the only sure fire way I know that will get you out of your predicament.

Does the black screen happen on every reboot?
If so there may be other reasons why you are getting the black screen and it may not be the theme patcher at all.
3rd party antivirus software is the biggest culprit and will cause black screens also. If you are using 3rd party antivirus and not Windows Defender try uninstalling your antivirus software then reboot to see if that solves the problem.

heretikos
April 11th, 2014, 01:51 AM
OK... The newest one I could find was 2.2, Thanks a bunch, google was not kind to me when looking for a newer one. Or maybe I'm an idiot. However, Avast rendered my paid license pointless as it's useless with windows 8. I assumed Bitdefender free was fine, but maybe that's it. So here I am at the system image of a fresh install, only windows defender and now with a newer 2.3 version of that particular patcher. I'm going to patch and then try and restore and see what happens, thanks a bunch dude, really. Even if this doesn't work.

heretikos
April 11th, 2014, 02:01 AM
OK, I have a bare bones windows 8.1 fully updated here. I installed the UltraUXThemePatcher_2.3 and not the 2.2 like I have been. I uninstalled it and here I am no problems. Thanks for that link, I still wish I knew if it was that I was using 2.2, or BitDefender free or maybe even something else I was doing. But either way, thanks for the link. I'm back in shape. And I'm going to restore to a system image that still had bit defender on it, and test and see if that was the issue just for giggles. Man I'm wearing my SSD out lol... 120GB Kingston 3k HyperX. Eh, it's just $120 a pop.

Dark Knight
April 11th, 2014, 02:12 AM
OK, I have a bare bones windows 8.1 fully updated here. I installed the UltraUXThemePatcher_2.3 and not the 2.2 like I have been. I uninstalled it and here I am no problems. Thanks for that link, I still wish I knew if it was that I was using 2.2, or BitDefender free or maybe even something else I was doing. But either way, thanks for the link. I'm back in shape. And I'm going to restore to a system image that still had bit defender on it, and test and see if that was the issue just for giggles. Man I'm wearing my SSD out lol... 120GB Kingston 3k HyperX. Eh, it's just $120 a pop.

I can tell you in all confidence, it was probably Bitdefender. I ran into the very same problems while using it.

A lot of 3rd party antivirus software say they are Windows 8.1 ready when they are really not because they interfere with the pre boot scan, this is what causes the black screen.
A little advice, if you don't surf the "seedy" parts of the web Windows Defender and firewall should be good enough to keep you safe, if you really need a 3rd party antivirus I would suggest Webroot Secure Anywhere. It's the only one that I have used that does not give Windows 8.1 a problem.

heretikos
April 11th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Thanks a bunch dude. I wish someone would make a AV that would work with windows 8. I suppose Kaspersky? I'll be using Defender and malewarebytes free and superantispyware free for now though. PPL say that's enough, and I suppose it is.

Dark Knight
April 11th, 2014, 02:25 AM
Glad I could be of help :peace:

XxHackThisxX
April 12th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks a bunch dude. I wish someone would make a AV that would work with windows 8. I suppose Kaspersky? I'll be using Defender and malewarebytes free and superantispyware free for now though. PPL say that's enough, and I suppose it is.

That is all i use.Malwarebytes and superantispyware.They do the job just fine and i have NEVER had a problem.Infact, i have removed norton's.mcaphee and many other so claimed antivirus's from computers that i have repaired and installed malwarebytes and superantispyware.They found what nortons and mcaphee etc could not.I stand firm on this as i have been doing this for years.However,others may have ah different opinion.Why pay for something that doesn,t do it's job when yah can use something for free that does? Just my opinion though.

heretikos
April 13th, 2014, 01:34 AM
That's what I hear, but Avast would catch some things the others didn't, and I miss the firewall and boot-time scan. But I seem to be doing just fine. I monitor what's running and 9 out of 10 times, you're going to see something pop up using resources that wasn't before and a simple google search will help get rid of it. Thanks so much guys. I'm OCD about my computer's appearance and how it's running. Now if only that kind fellow on Deviant art, or someone will make a timedate.cpl that will work after this update ;)

YourNumbr1Fan
April 13th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Some one has said here that they're custom timedate.cpl is working ok after Update 1, but I can't for the life of me modify mine! (I think you were referring to me?) I've tried different versions of Restorator, etc. and can't get it to work correctly with custom images! I wish someone would help us figure out what is stopping us from modding that one stupid file!!!!!! My entire pc is skinned-out now, looking good again, post-kb2919355...EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE FREAKING TIMEDATE.CPL!:Grim:

....Now if only that kind fellow on Deviant art, or someone will make a timedate.cpl that will work after this update ;)

deviantdon
April 13th, 2014, 04:10 AM
still on 7 bro,sorry:unhappy:

heretikos
April 13th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Dude, patience on the timedate.cpl... I just keep checking online. These people here always hook shit up... I'm sure they'll have something out for us soon

stu
April 13th, 2014, 04:31 AM
hi my friend my time, date , cpl is all patched on 8.1 im usin hud evolution and everything is patched , i heard other peeps are having problems with other themes though . i did a fresh install last monday with a copy of windows 8.1 pro with spring update and then this week there was 6 updates so i did them and then on friday i got update kb2919355 and everything is all good

YourNumbr1Fan
April 13th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the info, Stu----This is just weird.

gsw953
April 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Some one has said here that they're custom timedate.cpl is working ok after Update 1, but I can't for the life of me modify mine! (I think you were referring to me?) I've tried different versions of Restorator, etc. and can't get it to work correctly with custom images! I wish someone would help us figure out what is stopping us from modding that one stupid file!!!!!! My entire pc is skinned-out now, looking good again, post-kb2919355...EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE FREAKING TIMEDATE.CPL!:Grim:
Jimmy I had no problem updating an old timedate.cpl by changing the version number with Restortator

Scratch that,it works better by adding .png to the new timedate.cpl

YourNumbr1Fan
April 13th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I've modified the new .cpl with custom images, Greg....nothing is working for me. I've tried using different versions of Restorator, although I know that v3.70 1747 is the correct one that works with most os. Whatever is causing the incompatibility isn't something with just my personal computer but others are experiencing the same thing. A couple have said that their timedate is fine and customize-able after the update, but we're clueless as to why that is. Just like many of us got black-screen after the update (likely due to UltraUXThemePatcher being installed beforehand I suspect), but some didn't. Some can set a default theme, un-install the theme patcher, restart, and everything's cool...but many get the black-screen still, even when they do it the correct way. Happens to me. Maybe it's just one of those things, everything has to be 'just so', and in the correct sequence....Computers can be so fickle, can't they?

Sooner or later I or someone else will figure it out, hit upon the solution. Probably something very simple. I'm not losing any sleep over it, or obsessing, but just trying to nail it down so I can finish customizing my own setup and also update all my timedate.cpl uploads here and at other places.

Jimmy I had no problem updating an old timedate.cpl by changing the version number with Restortator

Scratch that,it works better by adding .png to the new timedate.cpl

gsw953
April 13th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I've modified the new .cpl with custom images, Greg....nothing is working for me. I've tried using different versions of Restorator, although I know that v3.70 1747 is the correct one that works with most os. Whatever is causing the incompatibility isn't something with just my personal computer but others are experiencing the same thing. A couple have said that their timedate is fine and customize-able after the update, but we're clueless as to why that is. Just like many of us got black-screen after the update (likely due to UltraUXThemePatcher being installed beforehand I suspect), but some didn't. Some can set a default theme, un-install the theme patcher, restart, and everything's cool...but many get the black-screen still, even when they do it the correct way. Happens to me. Maybe it's just one of those things, everything has to be 'just so', and in the correct sequence....Computers can be so fickle, can't they?

Sooner or later I or someone else will figure it out, hit upon the solution. Probably something very simple. I'm not losing any sleep over it, or obsessing, but just trying to nail it down so I can finish customizing my own setup and also update all my timedate.cpl uploads here and at other places.

Here try this one,it is one of yours updated.

YourNumbr1Fan
April 13th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks Greg!----Will try it now bud.:loving:

Update:

You da MAN!!!-----But I wonder now WHY it worked? I'll open the .bat with notepad and have a look-see. Thanks so much, Greg!:loving:

...But now, when I click to "change date and time settings", smart screen pops up and blocks going further, and won't do anything when I click More Info,...

Here try this one,it is one of yours updated.

gsw953
April 13th, 2014, 11:43 PM
Thanks Greg!----Will try it now bud.:loving:

Update:

You da MAN!!!-----But I wonder now WHY it worked? I'll open the .bat with notepad and have a look-see. Thanks so much, Greg!:loving:

...But now, when I click to "change date and time settings", smart screen pops up and blocks going further, and won't do anything when I click More Info,...

I'll send you a PM,I sense this thread is about to be going to the trash!

YourNumbr1Fan
April 14th, 2014, 12:30 AM
I'm going to try a fresh install again 2nite. Maybe my last one was flubbed-up. Thanks a million, bro, for coming to my customization rescue---again. :peace:

I'll send you a PM,I sense this thread is about to be going to the trash!

April 14th, 2014, 12:52 AM
YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194932-YourNumbr1Fan), heretikos (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194332-heretikos), deviantdon (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/216461-deviantdon) your off topic post have either ben deleted or edited. YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194932-YourNumbr1Fan) and deviantdon (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/216461-deviantdon) knock off the crap.

XxHackThisxX (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/245518-XxHackThisxX) heretikos (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194332-heretikos) wasn't the one who started the bs. someone else overreacted.

April 14th, 2014, 12:36 PM
XxHackThisxX (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/245518-XxHackThisxX), YourNumbr1Fan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/194932-YourNumbr1Fan), deviantdon (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/216461-deviantdon), beagleman1701 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/242985-beagleman1701) the matter is closed. grim has made his decision please move on, and stay on topic from now on.