PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from a noob :P

idle
September 16th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Hi all, its been ages since I last posted here.

My beloved Toshiba laptop went and died on me :crying:

Anywayz I finally got enough $$$ together and got myself an ASUS N550JK laptop :happy:

The downside to this flash new piece of kit is it came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 ...

Obviously one of the first things I wanted to do (after making a USB system image and such) was customize the heck out of it. As far as Windows 8 goes, to be perfectly honest I'm not entirely sold, I like my Windows 7 very much and am familiar with all its workings.
So the temptation to scrap this pre-installed Windows 8.1 has been on my mind since first booting up this new laptop. But I'm willing to give Windows 8.1 a chance and see how it goes customizing it, and maybe it might grow on me ...

I have a few questions for the guru's here if they would be so kind:

1. My version of Windows is 8.1 but looking around the forums I see a lot of customizations available for Windows 8.1.1
Will those work with 8.1 or are they specific only to 8.1.1? Also can I update/upgrade to 8.1.1 to make things easier?

2. I downloaded MrGrims HUD Evolution 8.1 and its just a bunch of folders with no exe ...
Sorry but all the themes I've ever used from here have been paid for themes from the VCShop and have all been exe's and easy for a noob like me to install.
If someone would be so kind as to explain or maybe there is a tutorial on how to get a theme that is not exe to work?

Really want to customize this laptop, but also this thing cost me heaps, so I dont want to stuff it up, especially since Windows 8.1 is a bit WTH!?

There is a Zero-G (my all time favorite theme) that is for 8.1.1 that I would REALLY love to have on this laptop. Anyone a Windows 8 guru here that can help, It'd be muchly appreciated :loving:

September 16th, 2014, 11:55 AM
idle (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/243562-idle) first welcome back. second personally after running 8.1.1 for awhile now i would not go back to 7. there is plenty on here to get you set up to your liking on 8.1.1. some tips to get you started.

since that as prebuilt get rid of the crapware that comes preinstalled first, then do your baseline image. once you have that base do the following in that order.

install office if you use it, if not don't bother.
windows updates
your drivers(do not use windows update for sound drivers)
your security software
then your customization tools
then you can pick what theme, and or icon pack, etc.... you want to use to customize 8.1.1

now as for hud i don't have it, but if grim didn't do an .exe on it then you should go this. open the archive and copy the folder for the theme and it's .theme file to c:\windows\resources\themes.

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65613-How-to-install-and-setup-your-customization-applications-on-Windows-8-1-1

idle
September 18th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Hey thx for the link TND:love:

idle
September 22nd, 2014, 02:44 AM
I followed all the instructions in the provided link - something gone afoul me thinks ...

Also look at the font. Its all different colours ??

Also I notinced in the bottom right aeroglass thing - how do I get rid of it? can I just buy the program outright or do I have to copy the code or ???

Edit #2
Thankfully I have Macrium Reflect Pro installed and a full system image to fall back on ...PHEW!

Firstly it didn't say anything in your tutorial about removing ClassicShell before you begin :cheeky:
(I do hope you see the above as a joke)

Also upon further inspection I'd gone and completely left out dowloading and installing UltraUXThemePatcher, and no, you can't install it last like I tried, everything is %$^*@# after that.

I'll give it another bash once again, from the top, ALL instructions to the letter and hope I can get Zero-G installed.

One question I do have if someone would be so kind, once everything is installed and working of coarse, where do you put all the files that come with the themes?
So far I know you place files in Windows/resources/themes. What files exatly I'm unsure. Some theme downloads have extras, and folders and such. Do you just dump the whole lot in themes?
And lastly, once all the theme files are in the correct locations, how to you activate the theme? Is it right click desktop - personalize and the theme will show up there for selection?

Sorry but I just want to learn and get it right. Once I do it once, I'll know it, stored in memory :laughing:

September 22nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
1. install os
2. install office if you use it
3. install all windows updates plus dotnet framework 3.5 and 4.5.3
4. install drivers
5. install security and backup software
6. now install uxstyle oe uxthemepatcher(the other tools you need to theme your system you can actually install at anytime, but do not do blackglass until you actually need it)

in the above image you have blackglass enabled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIrfyKqqDk