PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks!

Chuck38
September 26th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone!

I was directed here by a friend on another forum to find some nice themes for Windows 8.1.

Anyways, my name is Chuck, I'm on a couple other help forums. I like building computers and fixing general Windows issues and errors.

I found a nice theme of which I would like to install, but I'm running into some difficulties. How on earth do I install this? Could some guide me through this process? I'm completely new to this! :)

-Chuck

Lamia
September 26th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Dear Chuck38 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/283375-Chuck38), welcome to Virtual Customs, enjoy your stay with us, browse our forum and have fun, all your questions got their answers at this customization place, if you still need any help feel free to ask! :peace:

Chuck38
September 26th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Yes, I still don't know how to install any themes. Which forum should I post my thread concerning this problem?

ONE MAN ARMY
September 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Yes, I still don't know how to install any themes. Which forum should I post my thread concerning this problem?

Hey Chuck. First what OS are you on and what theme are you trying to install????

September 26th, 2014, 11:51 PM
welcome to vc, hope you enjoy the forums. the following link should get you up and running. if you need anymore help just holler. again welcome to vc.

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65613-How-to-install-and-setup-your-customization-applications-on-Windows-8-1-1?highlight=install

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Hey Chuck. First what OS are you on and what theme are you trying to install????
I'm on Windows 8.1, this is the theme I would like to install the HUD Apocalypse Windows 8.1.1 Theme. :)

Apparently one can not post links until they have 5 posts?

-Chuck

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 12:17 AM
welcome to vc, hope you enjoy the forums. the following link should get you up and running. if you need anymore help just holler. again welcome to vc
That link only tells me how to install other add-on's like Aero8 and other stuff. :(

ONE MAN ARMY
September 27th, 2014, 12:49 AM
That link only tells me how to install other add-on's like Aero8 and other stuff. :(

Hey Chuck The Link that The Nude Dude Provided above is a list of things that must be done before you can apply windows 8.1 themes. Those are not just addons. They are required to get your desktop to look like the theme your trying to download. Read through that thread and do exactly what it says. Once you finish You can then apply your theme. and if you did everything correctly. You should be good to go.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Hey Chuck The Link that The Nude Dude Provided above is a list of things that must be done before you can apply windows 8.1 themes. Those are not just addons. They are required to get your desktop to look like the theme your trying to download. Read through that thread and do exactly what it says. Once you finish You can then apply your theme. and if you did everything correctly. You should be good to go.
Okie dokie! :)

Harvey Sewdin
September 27th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Don't worry, this site will transform your desktop :peace:

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 01:53 AM
Okay, everything is installed. However, I can't figure out how to make the inside of my windows transparent. How do I do that in Windows 8.1?

Then I need to know how I install the theme. :(

Nimbi
September 27th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Transparency inside windows requires a program called BlackGlassEnhanced. It transforms dark windows into transparent windows. Your windows have to be dark for it to work though. So if your theme doesn't use dark windows then it will be rather hard to read anything inside the window(s) of which it is used on.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Transparency inside windows requires a program called BlackGlassEnhanced. It transforms dark windows into transparent windows. Your windows have to be dark for it to work though. So if your theme doesn't use dark windows then it will be rather hard to read anything inside the window(s) of which it is used on.
Yes I have that program installed. Do I need the theme installed for it to work?

How do I install the theme?

Nimbi
September 27th, 2014, 02:37 AM
open the BlackGlassEnhanced program and in one of the 14 different areas type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotation marks) and click enable, and then click save. Then close whichever windows you have open and re-open them. It should work then. Also, set BlackGlassEnhanced to launch at start up so you won't have to manually turn it back on each time you log onto your computer.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 02:41 AM
open the BlackGlassEnhanced program and in one of the 14 different areas type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotation marks) and click save. Then close whichever windows you have open and re-open them. It should work then. Also, set BlackGlassEnhanced to launch at start up so you won't have to manually turn it back on each time you log onto your computer.
That is already typed in. Along with cmd.exe.

idle
September 27th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Hi Chuck :peace:

I too recently needed some help getting themes to work with 8.1 and the people are more than helpful. So, here's a copy/paste of the info I recieved geting everything working as it should.

Theme files go here: c:\windows\resources\themes

When you download any theme file from this site, files inside Theme directory, you will see folder named XXXX and XXXX.theme. Both those files need to be extracted or copy/paste to the Resources\Theme folder. Once that's done Right Click Desktop and Select Personalization. The theme you downloaded and placed in the Resources\Themes will be now be shown in Installed Themes of the Personalization window, and then you just apply it.

As for BlackGlassEnhanced I was told not to use it unless you have too, as it can be a bit iffy and cause headaches :cheeky:

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Hi Chuck :peace:

I too recently needed some help getting themes to work with 8.1 and the people are more than helpful. So, here's a copy/paste of the info I recieved geting everything working as it should.

Theme files go here: c:\windows\resources\themes

When you download any theme file from this site, files inside Theme directory, you will see folder named XXXX and XXXX.theme. Both those files need to be extracted or copy/paste to the Resources\Theme folder. Once that's done Right Click Desktop and Select Personalization. The theme you downloaded and placed in the Resources\Themes will be now be shown in Installed Themes of the Personalization window, and then you just apply it.
Hi idle,

I have two files, one named Theme and one named Extras. Is that how it should be?

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. And this is the theme I'm downloading. http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66861-HUD-Apocalypse-Windows-8-1-1-Theme

idle
September 27th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Yup open the THEME folder and inside should be 1 (name) folder and 1 (name) .theme both those go into windows\resources\theme folder. As for extras, I place that there too.

idle
September 27th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Open the theme folder, not the extras and inside it will look like this:

Now place those 3 files in Windows\resources\themes - like in the picture I posted previous post :peace:

From thereright click desktop - personalization - and it will be under "installed themes" and you just click it to activate thattheme.

Nimbi
September 27th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Yup, looks like you simply need to put the theme files into the proper system folder. Follow the instructions given by idle. Once done it should work properly. :peace:

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Open the theme folder, not the extras and inside it will look like this:

Now place those 3 files in Windows\resources\themes - like in the picture I posted previous post :peace:

From thereright click desktop - personalization - and it will be under "installed themes" and you just click it to activate thattheme.
Done! But know all I have is a new background and mouse curser. How do I get the taskbar?

Thank-you for your time,
-Chuck

idle
September 27th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hey Chuck. I would highly recommend you start from scratch again (it took me 3 tries to get it right) and go here first: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65613-How-to-install-and-setup-your-customization-applications-on-Windows-8-1-1?highlight=install

After doing all of the processes EXACTLY as instructed, come back to this thread and follow the directions here for placing the theme files in the correct order and in the corrct diractories.

It is an exact process and you will encounter problems if you do not follow the proceedures 100% correctly. If you do (even if it takes a few tries, like I did) you can look forward to the theme you want working perfectly without issue.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Hey Chuck. I would highly recommend you start from scratch again (it took me 3 tries to get it right) and go here first: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/65613-How-to-install-and-setup-your-customization-applications-on-Windows-8-1-1?highlight=install

After doing all of the processes EXACTLY as instructed, come back to this thread and follow the directions here for placing the theme files in the correct order and in the corrct diractories.

It is an exact process and you will encounter problems if you do not follow the proceedures 100% correctly. If you do (even if it takes a few tries, like I did) you can look forward to the theme you want working perfectly without issue.
Alright, I'll do that.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 04:14 PM
It worked! :)

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I have only one more question. How do I install custom icon packs?

ONE MAN ARMY
September 27th, 2014, 05:32 PM
I have only one more question. How do I install custom icon packs?

PM Sent

Also to change start orb to match theme. Right click on the start button go to properties and appearance on the right you will see where it says ADD/Delete Click on Add and navigate to the theme C:/Windows/Resources/Themes/HudApacalypse/explorer.exe inside this folder you will see 3 images 6801, 6805, 6809 if your not using small taskbar choose 6805. Apply and your good to go.

Chuck38
September 27th, 2014, 05:41 PM
PM Sent

Also to change start orb to match theme. Right click on the start button go to properties and appearance on the right you will see where it says ADD/Delete Click on Add and navigate to the theme C:/Windows/Resources/Themes/HudApacalypse/explorer.exe inside this folder you will see 3 images 6801, 6805, 6809 if your not using small taskbar choose 6805. Apply and your good to go.
Thanks! Now I have everything installed! :Smile: