PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to have a bash at this?

idle
October 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Just installed a game to the new laptop. When I went to run the game I got a pop up window (completely blanked out) so I couldn't tell what was asking for permission to run.

Hit task manager and found Fondue.exe which is a “Windows Features on Demand UX” and there's stuff all about this process online. So I hit skip and get a warning about apps or whatnot not working properly, but who cares. The game starts, everything works as it should and I'm online playing away.

A few hours later after dinner I decide I'll play some more, hit my games exe and this same crap pops up on screen again. Okay now that really annoys me so I set about finding out exactly what it is and how to nuke the bloody thing as my game obviously works fine without it, so Windows can go stuff itself.

First I find its a process that has something to do with DirectPlay and can be turned on or off via Windows Features ...
Legacy Components (DirectPlay) - DirectPlay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectPlay) was a part of the DirectX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX) application programming interface. It used to be a library designed for network communication. Unless you are playing old games which were developed prior to 2008 and require this library, you should be OK with removing it.

Okay so I go to Windows Features and low and behold Legacy Components is already unticked and not running? hrmm

Then I find another site, translated from German (that's how little information there is about this "service") and some guy finds the command line to enable or disable it: C: \ Windows \ System32> Fondue.exe / disable-feature: NetFx3 / hideux: all

So I try it and am met with this:

Now I'm stuck, I mean I could just nuke the exe from system32 but I'm a little wary of doing that. Any ideas?

Cheers.

October 12th, 2014, 01:51 PM
there are items that win 8 and up do not have like dotnet, but typically in 8 and up the app your installing will tell you your missing a component and then windows will offer to download it and install it. should be safe to install. my pet peeve is the dotnet files being items that don't come with win 8. there are way too many apps that need them.

idle
October 12th, 2014, 02:05 PM
When your right your right, but it kind of irks me when the game obviously runs fine without it, yet I'm left with no choice but to agree to install something I don't want or need.

Its a sickness, I know ...

:cheeky:

MOST_WASTED
October 13th, 2014, 03:37 AM
try going back to your regular windows theme and see if words from that popup could be seen then.
but from what i see it is windows update that is asking you to install it, if it was me i would go for it, long as i've got my protection turned on ofcourse.
i believe you can monitor what windows update installs on yer rig. and you can undo them as well through system restore if u need to.

the action you tried to perform from the command prompt might work if you try to take ownership of the file first. i dont know if there is such a feature in windows 8 though. im still on 7. you can also try doing the action in safe mode

idle
October 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Cheers bud. I have a script I got from somewhere online that puts a take ownership in the right click menu that I used before I made this post. I ended up following TND's advice and just installed whatever it was that Windows wanted to install. I was never worried as such about it installing something bad or anything, just the fact it really didn't need too, as the game ran fine without whatever it was that Windows says needed installing.
Call it a sickness lol but I get very annoyed when I want to do something and Windows says I can't. Its a control thing ...:cheeky:

MOST_WASTED
October 15th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Cheers bud. I have a script I got from somewhere online that puts a take ownership in the right click menu that I used before I made this post. I ended up following TND's advice and just installed whatever it was that Windows wanted to install. I was never worried as such about it installing something bad or anything, just the fact it really didn't need too, as the game ran fine without whatever it was that Windows says needed installing.
Call it a sickness lol but I get very annoyed when I want to do something and Windows says I can't. Its a control thing ...:cheeky:

lol i understand. thats why i turned off my user control. lol