PDA

View Full Version : need help changing cellphone/device icon

MOST_WASTED
October 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM
does anyone know which DLL carries the phone icon in the "my computer" page when connecting a cellphone? i've changed the ones in imageres.dll, DDORes.dll, and also checked shell32.dll but this icon just wont change. i've also cleared the icon cache before all this was done. thanks in advance for any help :)

Lamia
October 14th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Hmm i was thinking that imageres.dll number 66 will do the trick for you , but since you already change it and get no effect then i hope i'll see myself right anwser for this case also, sorry i can't help with this, btw you are on Windows 7 right!? :peace:

Nimbi
October 14th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I've noticed that the device icons never change for me either on my windows 8.1.1 comp. No matter which theme I use the device icons never change. I figured it must've been a hardware/manufacturer/OS thing causing that, so I never thought much of it. I gotta admit though, it is kinda weird.

ONE MAN ARMY
October 14th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Ok after some searching. I have found this article on 7forums. Not sure if it works. I have not tried it but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/224162-devices-printers-change-device-icons-custom-icons.html

Nimbi
October 15th, 2014, 12:39 AM
looks like a good explanation for use on windows 7. Not sure though since I run windows 8.1.1 Also, if anyone ever gets a chance to see if this will work with windows 8/8.1/8.1.1 please let me know the results. I'd like to try this but don't have a virtual drive to test it with anymore and with my comp's history it's better to just wait to see if someone else has managed to figure it out. lol

MOST_WASTED
October 15th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Hmm i was thinking that imageres.dll number 66 will do the trick for you , but since you already change it and get no effect then i hope i'll see myself right anwser for this case also, sorry i can't help with this, btw you are on Windows 7 right!? :peace:

yes i am. sorry i forgot to mention it. its ok bud thanks for trying to help. i will double check imageress # 66 i dont remember changing that number. im trying it now. i hope that is the one. will post in a bit how it turns out.

*EDIT - tried it but it wasnt it Lamia.

MOST_WASTED
October 15th, 2014, 01:27 AM
Ok after some searching. I have found this article on 7forums. Not sure if it works. I have not tried it but maybe it will point you in the right direction.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/224162-devices-printers-change-device-icons-custom-icons.html

thanks for the tip OMA but those in devices and printers i have already managed to change , even the phone's icon, but somehow the phone icon in my computer did not change with it. so im guessing its from a different dll. i thought that the drive icons & everything found on the my computer page was from imageres.dll. damn dll's there's too many of them. and me being easily confused is not helping lol

ONE MAN ARMY
October 15th, 2014, 02:18 AM
thanks for the tip OMA but those in devices and printers i have already managed to change , even the phone's icon, but somehow the phone icon in my computer did not change with it. so im guessing its from a different dll. i thought that the drive icons & everything found on the my computer page was from imageres.dll. damn dll's there's too many of them. and me being easily confused is not helping lol

Ya I opened Res, and tried looking through a bunch. Could not seem to find anything. That link I gave you was all I could find. I was hoping it would do the trick for ya. or at least point you in the right direction. Sorry for the dead end. I will continue to keep looking and I would like to know as well.

MOST_WASTED
October 15th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Ya I opened Res, and tried looking through a bunch. Could not seem to find anything. That link I gave you was all I could find. I was hoping it would do the trick for ya. or at least point you in the right direction. Sorry for the dead end. I will continue to keep looking and I would like to know as well.
thanks man i appreciate that. and no apologies needed. same here i'll post right away if ever i find out

Mr GRiM
October 15th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Not sure if you have tried with my icon pack installers because I have changed a few phone icons in mine, anyway if not have a look at

mmres.dll icon 3016
DDORes.dll icon 2035
mmsys.cpl icon 114

MOST_WASTED
October 22nd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Not sure if you have tried with my icon pack installers because I have changed a few phone icons in mine, anyway if not have a look at

mmres.dll icon 3016
DDORes.dll icon 2035
mmsys.cpl icon 114

just now saw your reply. much thanks Mr GRiM (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/1-Mr-GRiM). i havent changed the ones from mmres and mmsys yet, doing it now. i will post which one it is in a bit, hopefully.

MOST_WASTED
October 23rd, 2014, 07:39 PM

mmres.dll icon 3016
DDORes.dll icon 2035
mmsys.cpl icon 114

i tried them but no luck. phone icon remains the same. i've tried opening all the network related DLLs and CPLs that i know but cant find this little white phone with earphones icon. maybe its under an exe file. lol too much work for 1 little icon

Adrian
June 14th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I always thought the imageres.dll #66 is for an MP3 Player/Walkman because it just looks like that. The Phone should be #47 and #93.
When I connect a Mobile Phone (no Android) it appears under 'Devices with removeable Storage'
When I connect a Walkman it appears under 'Portable Devices'
And it looks exactly like the SONY Walkman!
I guess the Icon is in the Firmware of the Walkman itself. You could allow Windows to download realistic Symbols for your Devices if you want that.
Maybe that helps!

Adrian
June 25th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I found another dll with Device Icons - wpdshext.dll, you can try it if you want.