PDA

View Full Version : Unable to patch system files with Windowblinds 8 installed ?

Ghost Rider
October 21st, 2014, 01:39 PM
Hi guys, a couple of days ago I restored system files and installed Windowblinds 8, just to give it a try. Now I want to patch system files again, but it looks no possible after restart I'm unable to access Windows. So I need to boot in safe mode, restore system files and restart again.
I guess I have to uninstall Windowblinds 8 to get everything working fine, even if Windowblind 8 is not loaded and no skin is applied to access Windows with patched files is not possible.
Anyone knows if there is a way to patch system files (Universal Theme Patcher)and keep Windowblinds 8 installed ?

Thanks

October 21st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Ghost Rider (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/239245-Ghost-Rider) i'm going to go out on a limb here and say i think your problem might be that wb8 has to patch the system in it's own way to allow it's themes to work. if this is the case i would think you would have problems using uxthemepatcher. now what grim uses uxstyle might work better for you. i'll tag a couple of peeps to see what they think.

ONE MAN ARMY
October 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
Ya not sure either. I never use Windows Blinds. But if I was in your position. I would open cmd as admin run SFC /scannow
let that scan after its done reboot. Then repatch your system using uxstyle Like Dude the Nude Said and Try that. Running that scan should set all your system files back to Default so it will give you a fresh start.

MOST_WASTED
October 21st, 2014, 09:30 PM
windowblinds has its own stuff that conflicts with other 3rd party customizations. in my win 7 i had to choose to either use "windowsblinds" or "3rd party tools patches and themes found in here". keep one, uninstall the other

so i would recommend u remove your windowsblinds before repatching your windows

Shemhamforash
October 21st, 2014, 09:39 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a question about Uxstyle, so it's kind of related. I've noticed that since I changed from Ultraux back to Uxstyle, that on boot I can't change the themes. It's similar to Idle's problem where he had the theme files in the proper position, but the other theme stays on (for me, just the wallpaper and sound scheme changes). After booting up from shut down this happens, if I do a reboot, the themes change properly. It doesn't work to change to default theme before applying a custom theme. I installed Uxstyle a while ago, before updating to 8.1. Is it a good idea to reinstall Uxstyle, and is it safe to uninstall and reboot to Windows in default theme with custom themes still in Windows\Resources?

ONE MAN ARMY
October 21st, 2014, 11:34 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread, but I have a question about Uxstyle, so it's kind of related. I've noticed that since I changed from Ultraux back to Uxstyle, that on boot I can't change the themes. It's similar to Idle's problem where he had the theme files in the proper position, but the other theme stays on (for me, just the wallpaper and sound scheme changes). After booting up from shut down this happens, if I do a reboot, the themes change properly. It doesn't work to change to default theme before applying a custom theme. I installed Uxstyle a while ago, before updating to 8.1. Is it a good idea to reinstall Uxstyle, and is it safe to uninstall and reboot to Windows in default theme with custom themes still in Windows\Resources?

Open Command Prompt as admin, Type SFC /scannow Wait for the scan to finish. Reboot your comp. then repaatch your system with uxstyle. Apply theme.

Shemhamforash
October 21st, 2014, 11:42 PM
Thanks One Man Army. I did an sfc/scannow about a week ago, but didn't repatch with Uxstyle. I'll do that and hopefully it works.:Smile:

Ghost Rider
October 22nd, 2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks all but I think MOST_WANTED is right, it's not possible to use "Windowblinds" and "3rd party customization" at the same time. A choice is required, one or another

ONE MAN ARMY
October 22nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks One Man Army. I did an sfc/scannow about a week ago, but didn't repatch with Uxstyle. I'll do that and hopefully it works.:Smile:

Ya. I would just run the scan and then repatch and see if that fixes the issue. I have a feeling windows blinds changed something in your system that is conflicting with your ability to use themes. Its always safe to just run the SFC /scannow and try fresh. Hope it helps.

Shemhamforash
October 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM
Open Command Prompt as admin, Type SFC /scannow Wait for the scan to finish. Reboot your comp. then repaatch your system with uxstyle. Apply theme.

So, I did what you instructed. Ran the sfc/scannow as admin, rebooted when prompted, uninstalled Uxstyle, then reinstalled after rebooting again. I'm still getting the error where after going from shut down I can't change the themes. One thing to note is that I haven't installed windowblinds, just have windowfx from stardock, sorry for not clarifying that.

ONE MAN ARMY
October 22nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
So, I did what you instructed. Ran the sfc/scannow as admin, rebooted when prompted, uninstalled Uxstyle, then reinstalled after rebooting again. I'm still getting the error where after going from shut down I can't change the themes. One thing to note is that I haven't installed windowblinds, just have windowfx from stardock, sorry for not clarifying that.

Well. Not sure whats going on my friend. Hopefully someone has the answer. If it was me in your position. I would just backup everything I wanted on a External HD and Then do a clean install and start fresh. Not sure if this is an option for you. I tend to keep everything important on my external anyway. So doing clean install for me is pretty simple. Be patient though. Grim was tagged in this thread so hopefully he will come on soon and have an answer for you. Sorry I was not able to help.

idle
October 22nd, 2014, 01:29 AM

The way I was able to change themes was first change the metric.reg file by using Default Windows 8.1 Aero Metrics.reg (which should always be in the EXTRAS folder of any theme you download from this site) Then select a Windows Default Theme in Personalize. Let that theme load, and reboot system. Once reboot finish, go to Personalize again and select a different theme. This is the process I must use in order to change themes in Windows 8.
Hope it works for you.

Shemhamforash
October 22nd, 2014, 01:42 AM
One Man Army, I agree doing a fresh install of Windows would most likely solve the problem. I'm not sure if I'm willing to do it though to solve the error. I'm with you on the external hard drives, I always back up all my data frequently. Idle, I tried your method and unfortunately it did not work either. So what I'll do is just live with having to reboot to change themes, or I may reinstall ultra ux theme patcher instead since the problem didn't happen with it, and I don't often install windows updates. Thank you guys for your suggestions, much appreciated.

MOST_WASTED
October 22nd, 2014, 03:23 AM
One Man Army, I agree doing a fresh install of Windows would most likely solve the problem. I'm not sure if I'm willing to do it though to solve the error. I'm with you on the external hard drives, I always back up all my data frequently. Idle, I tried your method and unfortunately it did not work either. So what I'll do is just live with having to reboot to change themes, or I may reinstall ultra ux theme patcher instead since the problem didn't happen with it, and I don't often install windows updates. Thank you guys for your suggestions, much appreciated.

uninstalling anything stardock might do the trick. its only reason i see that could give you this problem. only stardock i know that affects windows 3rd party themes the least is iconpackager and that can still cause a real mess if you are not careful. so try that, go to your "programs and features," remove everything stardock, blind/windowfx remove all patches also and restart and repatch. if u'd like u could use "iobit uninstaller" and do a deep uninstall of all your stardock including its registry entries. but i think a simple uninstall of it would be okay. create a restore point so you can revert back if it doesnt work. gd luck

* by the way have you checked if u have a restore point from before all this happened? lot of times its what i miss to do first

Shemhamforash
October 22nd, 2014, 04:01 AM
Well, I ended up going back to what I've been doing for the last few months and that is, to patch ultra ux on top of uxstyle (which was installed first). Did the trick for me, I guess since the themes switch perfectly once I boot from shut down mode on my pc. Thanks, again guys, for trying to help me out! :Peace:

Shemhamforash
October 23rd, 2014, 04:44 AM
uninstalling anything stardock might do the trick. its only reason i see that could give you this problem. only stardock i know that affects windows 3rd party themes the least is iconpackager and that can still cause a real mess if you are not careful. so try that, go to your "programs and features," remove everything stardock, blind/windowfx remove all patches also and restart and repatch. if u'd like u could use "iobit uninstaller" and do a deep uninstall of all your stardock including its registry entries. but i think a simple uninstall of it would be okay. create a restore point so you can revert back if it doesnt work. gd luck

* by the way have you checked if u have a restore point from before all this happened? lot of times its what i miss to do first

I uninstalled stardock windowfx with the iobit uninstaller, would've liked to have been able to find any remnants of older stardock registry entries from their other programs that I had installed at some point, but I was unable to since I have previously uninstalled any other stardock material using control panel. Thanks for recommending I do this, this benefits the themes a lot, resizing using aero snap is much cooler and themed now!:loving:

MOST_WASTED
October 23rd, 2014, 06:58 PM
I uninstalled stardock windowfx with the iobit uninstaller, would've liked to have been able to find any remnants of older stardock registry entries from their other programs that I had installed at some point, but I was unable to since I have previously uninstalled any other stardock material using control panel. Thanks for recommending I do this, this benefits the themes a lot, resizing using aero snap is much cooler and themed now!:loving:

no problem. im glad u got it going again how u want. :)
u could always installthose other stardock programs again then deep uninstall immediately using iobit. im sure you'd get any remnants from past installs of them

Shemhamforash
October 23rd, 2014, 07:15 PM
no problem. im glad u got it going again how u want. :)
u could always installthose other stardock programs again then deep uninstall immediately using iobit. im sure you'd get any remnants from past installs of them

Ha, good idea about reinstalling them again and using iobit uninstaller instead of cp.
I like the powerful scan feature, it's a tool I can definitely see myself using to uninstall programs from now on with.