PDA

View Full Version : WMP

archmage94
April 29th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Well ****, I broke WIndows Media Player, I tried to install a theme and I didn't get proper instructions for the theme so I didn't know I was supposed to replace the file in the SysWOW64 folder only and not the one in the System32 folder since i'm running a 64x version of Windows 7 and like a dumbass I forgot to backup the original file, is there a way I can fix it without reinstalling Windows?

Harvey Sewdin
April 30th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Did you manually replace the file? No program backup or so?
Won't 100% work, but you can try to get the default file(s) for WLM from someone else's Windows 7.
I would send you mine but I'm not using my Windows PC right now(on a Linux machine).
Btw, what theme was it? And do you have a restore point?

archmage94
April 30th, 2015, 04:14 PM
No I don't have a restore point and it was that transparent plastic WMP theme I found on Deviant Art

Harvey Sewdin
April 30th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Hmm, never heard of or used that one.
I think that there is a copy of the WLM System32 files somewhere else in your PC but I can't really remember where and how.
I'll see if I can send one to you later on. In the meantime use VLC.

PsPBuRnOuT
April 30th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Could try this, don't know if it will help or not.
Or wouldn't a uninstall - reinstall work? Just a thought

http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2011/05/19/fix-broken-windows-media-player-center-database/

YourNumbr1Fan
April 30th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Well ****, I broke WIndows Media Player, I tried to install a theme and I didn't get proper instructions for the theme so I didn't know I was supposed to replace the file in the SysWOW64 folder only and not the one in the System32 folder since i'm running a 64x version of Windows 7 and like a dumbass I forgot to backup the original file, is there a way I can fix it without reinstalling Windows?

Here are fresh replacement wmploc.dll files (Win 7 Ultimate x64), exported from an 'install.wim' within a Windows 7 AIO (all-in-one) .iso, mate:

DOWNLOAD--> 69995

In the future, if you have a Win7 .iso handy, open it as an archive with 7zip, navigate to the 'sources' folder, open it, look for a file called 'install.wim', open it, drag/drop the '[1]' (.xml) file to your desktop, open it with Internet Explorer (or any browser), see which folder number within the still opened install.wim contains your version and bit-architecture of Windows 7 (each folder number is a different version and bit) by reading the .xml file, then, once you've located it, open that folder and simply drag/drop the files you need (from Windows, System32, SysWOW64, etc.) to your desktop.

Tip: create some folders first, on your desktop, named for the locations you're needing (i.e. Windows, System32, SysWOW64, etc.) so that you don't accidentally overwrite copies of files that have the same names (like wmploc.dll, timedate.cpl, etc.) or get confused about which-files-go-where. Drag/drop your replacement files into each corresponding folder for importing into your system later.

This can save you a lot of trouble and needless re-installs.

Example:

For More Detailed Instructions Click Here (http://www.askvg.com/how-to-extract-copy-system-files-from-windows-xp-vista-7-or-windows-8-setup/)

MOST_WASTED
May 1st, 2015, 07:11 AM
if you have 7tsp installed and have used it before there might be a backup of the dll in the 7tsp folder in program files(x86)

archmage94
May 1st, 2015, 03:45 PM
I got it fixed, thank you anyway and I will keep that in mind as I am using 7tsp