PDA

View Full Version : I lose themed backgrounds whenever I lock my computer

dclutter1
June 14th, 2015, 02:38 AM
I can apply themes with no problem. Everything seems to take/work right. However, when I lock/unlock my computer, I lose themed backgrounds in explorer, utorrent, settings panels such as "personalization", and other apps.

I've restored and re-patched multiple times but I just can't figure it out.

Before:

http://i.imgur.com/lc0TXwG.png

After:

http://i.imgur.com/4sluJQw.png

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

YourNumbr1Fan
June 14th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Try SAVING your theme in the Personalization menu....You know, right-click it and choose "save theme", name it. Sometimes not having a theme 'saved' in Personalization will reset your current config to "unsaved theme" which results in these white spaces and 'missing' backgrounds. Oh, and DELETE the 'unsaved theme'.

dclutter1
June 14th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Instead of copying links from image-hosts like imgur, use this function:...

Thanks for the tutorial.

As for your issue, try SAVING your theme in the Personalization menu....You know, right-click it and choose "save theme", name it. Sometimes not having a theme 'saved' in Personalization will reset your current config to "unsaved theme" which results in these white spaces and 'missing' backgrounds. Oh, and DELETE the 'unsaved theme'.

That didn't work. Thanks for the idea, though.

Edit: I just noticed that when I saved the theme and then lock/unlock computer, when I go back to Personalization there is another unsaved theme active... If that makes sense. Not sure if that might give some indication as to what's going on.

Lock/Unlock

YourNumbr1Fan
June 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Read what Dark Knight wrote in this thread: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66745-Get-rid-of-Unsaved-Theme-in-Windows-7-8-8-1

dclutter1
June 14th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Read what Dark Knight wrote in this thread: http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/66745-Get-rid-of-Unsaved-Theme-in-Windows-7-8-8-1
Nope, everything checked out. I checked several themes (they all do this).

Thanks for the reply.

YourNumbr1Fan
June 14th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Nope, everything checked out. I checked several themes (they all do this).

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I couldn't help you figure it out, bud. I know it's frustrating. I've on occasion had it happen to me. But it usually stops happening after deleting the 'unsaved theme' from both Personalization and the 'custom' one from "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes"....and then 'saving' and naming my custom theme. In this order.

Mr GRiM
June 14th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Windows 8 will load defaults from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\DefaultColors] after every lock/sleep/hibernate.
Backup that key, take ownership of it, and then delete that whole key (defualtcolors).
Now it will work perfectly!

Edit: I included some Registry Files to automate the task for you.

dclutter1
June 15th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Sorry I couldn't help you figure it out, bud. I know it's frustrating. I've on occasion had it happen to me. But it usually stops happening after deleting the 'unsaved theme' from both Personalization and the 'custom' one from "C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes"....and then 'saving' and naming my custom theme. In this order.

Oh no worries man! I really appreciate all the effort.

dclutter1
June 15th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Windows 8 will load defaults from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\DefaultColors] after every lock/sleep/hibernate.
Backup that key, take ownership of it, and then delete that whole key (defualtcolors).

Thank you so much!! This worked like a charm. Since I had to take ownership manually, I just went ahead and deleted the key while I was there instead of using the reg file.

Awesome awesome awesome! I knew someone had to have seen this.

Thanks again!!

YourNumbr1Fan
June 15th, 2015, 02:32 AM

Thank you so much!! This worked like a charm. Since I had to take ownership manually, I just went ahead and deleted the key while I was there instead of using the reg file.

Awesome awesome awesome! I knew someone had to have seen this.

Thanks again!!

YAAAYYYYY!!! :superman: Glad MrGrim solved it for you, mate! I know it was a pain in the rear for you! :Peace: