PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 - cannot install .deskthemepacks

Dark Knight
August 12th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I seen a couple of cool .deskthemepacks on the MS site and downloaded them, went to install by double clicking them and nothing happened?

Does anyone know why this would be happening? I know the file association is correct because .deskthemepacks are supposed to open with Personalization.CPL and that's what is says in the file properties.

Anyone with any ideas?

chevy350
November 5th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Not sure if this was solved or if your still trying but if you haven't tried to "unblock" it when you right click and check properties yet you may try that and see. Pretty much anything I've downloaded I've had to unblock before it would install/run properly. Good luck :tu:

Dark Knight
November 5th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Mmmm, no didn't work.

Actually I am thinking it has something to do with the ThemeSignatureBypass by Big Muscle that I use and the registry changes it makes, only because I don't trust the UxStyler that is out for Windows 10. No big deal though, I'll try installing deskthemepacks the next fresh install that I do to see if that is the problem.

chevy350
November 6th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Sounds good, be sure to post back if you figure it out.

Dark Knight
August 9th, 2016, 07:19 PM
Sounds good, be sure to post back if you figure it out.

Just an FYI, it is the ThemeSignatureBypass that prevents the installation of .deskthemepacks.

I found this out during the Anniversary update, after performing a clean install before I installed TSB I was able to install .deskthemepacks without a problem, after installing TSB I was no longer able to install .deskthemepacks, after uninstalling TSB everything was okey-dokey again.

So I guess for those who have not tried yet and for future reference, if you have the ThemeSignatureBypass installed and want to install .deskthemepacks, you're going to have to uninstall the ThemeSignatureBypass first, install the .deskthemepack then reinstall the ThemeSignatureBypass.

I am going to notify Big Muscle of this at MSFN maybe there is something that can be done about it but I think I will wait until after he releases a stable version of AeroGlass first for the Anniversary update.

Mr GRiM
August 9th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Just an FYI, it is the ThemeSignatureBypass that prevents the installation of .deskthemepacks.

I found this out during the Anniversary update, after performing a clean install before I installed TSB I was able to install .deskthemepacks without a problem, after installing TSB I was no longer able to install .deskthemepacks, after uninstalling TSB everything was okey-dokey again.

So I guess for those who have not tried yet and for future reference, if you have the ThemeSignatureBypass installed and want to install .deskthemepacks, you're going to have to uninstall the ThemeSignatureBypass first, install the .deskthemepack then reinstall the ThemeSignatureBypass.

I am going to notify Big Muscle of this at MSFN maybe there is something that can be done about it but I think I will wait until after he releases a stable version of AeroGlass first for the Anniversary update.

Where did you download them from, I just got a .themepack from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13768 and it installed on it's own when I downloaded it, I then tried to delete it and grabbed the pack from the temp directory and I couldn't install it, I was able to create a deskthemepack though and same result, the alternative to uninstalling Theme Signature Bypass is to use 7zip and unpack the archive and then manually put it in %userprofile%\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Dark Knight
August 10th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Where did you download them from, I just got a .themepack from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13768 and it installed on it's own when I downloaded it, I then tried to delete it and grabbed the pack from the temp directory and I couldn't install it, I was able to create a deskthemepack though and same result, the alternative to uninstalling Theme Signature Bypass is to use 7zip and unpack the archive and then manually put it in %userprofile%\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

Most I have gotten from Microsoft, but you see, even if I download one directly from MS and click "open" on the download, it will not install, now as far as manually installing like you said, it works that way. But as far as downloading the file or running it right from the download ....... doesn't work. I bet if I uninstalled TSB it would.

Mr GRiM
August 10th, 2016, 11:07 AM
Most I have gotten from Microsoft, but you see, even if I download one directly from MS and click "open" on the download, it will not install, now as far as manually installing like you said, it works that way. But as far as downloading the file or running it right from the download ....... doesn't work. I bet if I uninstalled TSB it would.

When I clicked on it, it said open with Personalization CPL so I never had to actually hit save or open, it was automatic, of course it downloaded it anyway to the temp directory and when clicking on it manually that's when it failed, I asked where to download a Deskthemepack because I wanted to see if the same thing happened.

Dark Knight
August 10th, 2016, 12:10 PM
When I clicked on it, it said open with Personalization CPL so I never had to actually hit save or open, it was automatic, of course it downloaded it anyway to the temp directory and when clicking on it manually that's when it failed, I asked where to download a Deskthemepack because I wanted to see if the same thing happened.

Ahhh, see I don't get any of that when I go to download them, if I download the deskthemepack then right click on the file AFTER downloading it I can select open with Personalization CPL, but even if I do that it still does not install, maybe something in my security settings? or group policy settings? I very rarely, if ever let anything run directly from a download link.

Not a real biggie anyway, all the ones I wanted to install I did before installing TSB, but even though I install them I only use them when I am working on something where I have to read a lot, then I'll switch over to one just so I can read black on white because sometimes reading different colored text on a colored background eventually starts hurting my eyes.

Sucks getting old :sigh: