PDA

View Full Version : Question about creating bootable USB Windows 10 installer.

Nimbi
September 3rd, 2015, 02:58 AM
Hello,

It's taking a long time for Microsoft to roll out the Windows 10 upgrade to my current laptop, so I wanted to ask if I can create a bootable 64bit Windows 10 install thing on a 8GB USB stick via the Microsoft Media Creation tool. Is that possible or will it have to be larger than just 8GB? Because I only have a 8GB USB stick and don't have the money to get a larger one with. Can someone please let me know if it will work with a 8GB USB stick?

Thanks in advance.

September 3rd, 2015, 11:31 AM
good day Darkwater409 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Darkwater409) no your 8 gig flash drive will be more than large enough. just plug it in and start the media creation tool. i suggest besides creating your media that you also download the iso.

Shemhamforash
September 3rd, 2015, 01:32 PM
i suggest besides creating your media that you also download the iso.
If one were to use that downloaded iso would it not have to be activated by a purchased Win10 license?
Do you use that downloaded iso to somehow "upgrade" from a previous Win version.
I went through that whole procedure but alas, it was too late, MS had already cancelled their genuine free key and blocked it being accepted.
I don't really feel like installing on hardware again, pretty happy with my activated VirtualBox, just wondering.

September 3rd, 2015, 02:09 PM
Shemhamforash (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280089-Shemhamforash) i honestly can't say cause i did a clean install on hardware. i'd suggest going to http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php

Shemhamforash
September 3rd, 2015, 02:40 PM
Shemhamforash (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280089-Shemhamforash) i honestly can't say cause i did a clean install on hardware. i'd suggest going to http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php
Some of those guys do know exactly how the restrictions for licensing work.
But I think it won't work as the deal works like this: Upgrade from a previous version of Windows (7 or 8.1) or Win 10 is not free.
When you do the upgrade from a previous Windows version, you still have the configuration options to "clean install" once you are in the desktop environment. People might want to use that who have upgraded.

freak69ize
September 3rd, 2015, 06:01 PM
Hello,

It's taking a long time for Microsoft to roll out the Windows 10 upgrade to my current laptop, so I wanted to ask if I can create a bootable 64bit Windows 10 install thing on a 8GB USB stick via the Microsoft Media Creation tool. Is that possible or will it have to be larger than just 8GB? Because I only have a 8GB USB stick and don't have the money to get a larger one with. Can someone please let me know if it will work with a 8GB USB stick?

Thanks in advance.

I just used an 8gb usb stick the other day with the win8.1 creation tool and worked great... but how will you activate?

Shemhamforash
September 3rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
I just used an 8gb usb stick the other day with the win8.1 creation tool and worked great... but how will you activate?

Pretty sure it's not really possible unless you do some key generation and transfer from a partition with Win 7/8.
The free version is pretty simple in the way it works - upgrade from a previous windows version or it won't activate.
It used to be different for about the first week or two when build 10240 was the latest but MS has obviously removed the general key submission option.

freak69ize
September 3rd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Pretty sure it's not really possible unless you do some key generation and transfer from a partition with Win 7/8.
The free version is pretty simple in the way it works - upgrade from a previous windows version or it won't activate.
It used to be different for about the first week or two when build 10240 was the latest but MS has obviously removed the general key submission option.

Right. I do know that after upgrading and and then doing a fresh install ( make sure your activated 1st lol ) Win10 will ask for a product key twice during installation.. once at the beginning and at the end.. but theres a skip button you can click on both... and once booted in 10 and you have a internet connection youre activated from MS servers. @Darkwater409 What installation of Win7 do you have on this laptop? It may not be upgradable. Also.. have you checked for updates?

Nimbi
September 3rd, 2015, 07:01 PM

Sorry, I should've updated this post, lol. It turns out the Media Creation tool also has the option to simply Upgrade to Windows 10 without having to create an installer on a disc or usb stick. I've managed to upgrade to Windows 10 now thanks to that.

freak69ize
September 4th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Sorry, I should've updated this post, lol. It turns out the Media Creation tool also has the option to simply Upgrade to Windows 10 without having to create an installer on a disc or usb stick. I've managed to upgrade to Windows 10 now thanks to that.

Really? Didnt know that.. cool