PDA

View Full Version : Inverting Color All Icons on Windows 7

NightOwl
September 10th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure I'm in the right place but I was hoping to get some advice.

I use Windows in Inverted color via either PowerStrip (Inverted Gamma Ramp) or NegativeScreen (based on Windows Magnifier with Invert).
Both are great tools to help reduce monitor glare but some images and colours need to be "Normalized" to not interfere with swift recognition.

So far I have been using ResourceHacker, in combination with IcoFX with this workflow:

- Extract all "IconGroup" resources from the .EXE (or .DLL, etc) in question
- Load each Icon in IcoFX and Invert/Save (Hold Control while typing I S W ) each one (Ensure that the "Apply Adjustments to All Layers/Images" Option is enabled)
- Replace each "IconGroup" resource with the new Inverted resource.
- Save into the new EXE (Dealing with things like Owner

(All existing Icon transparency is preserved in this process.)

I am developing an AutoIT script to automate the process, but wondered if anyone had already built a Purely Inverted Icon theme based on Standard Windows 7 Icons and could suggest a tool to apply this system wide.

The change ideally need to affect all Icons in all .EXE .DLL files on the system so that e.g. all apps and filetypes would be affected.

So far I have inverted the icons for e.g. Outlook, Chrome, Excel - so they look the same as they would under an "Uninverted" desktop which has made a massive difference in helping to find those icons quickly while the screen is inverted...

Best regards,
-NightOwl

Harvey Sewdin
September 14th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I'm not really sure how the outcome would be but a desaturated icon pack would reduce inverted 'glare' so to speak.
Also, again, not really sure what you want to achieve but 7tsp packs may do wonders for you.