PDA

View Full Version : StartisBack

razorsedge
September 30th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Start menu is back! Windows 7 start menu is back and it's better than ever! Get the most useful and authentic start menu for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 now.

http://startisback.com/img/promo1.jpg Genuine start menu Your faithful desktop friend which helps you:

Launch programs you use frequently
Open documents you're working on
Find stuff you're looking for
Go to system places in one click
Easily shut down your system
Feel at home with new Windows

StartIsBack fully integrates with Windows and provides original Windows 7 start menu experience, enhanced with many new features as well. Supports all Windows languages!

Genuine start menu Your faithful desktop friend which helps you:

Launch programs you use frequently
Open documents you're working on
Find stuff you're looking for
Go to system places in one click
Easily shut down your system
Feel at home with new Windows

StartIsBack fully integrates with Windows and provides original Windows 7 start menu experience, enhanced with many new features as well. Supports all Windows languages!

http://startisback.com/

Dark Knight
November 8th, 2018, 02:02 PM
As of October 2018 - StartIsBack has been updated to version 2.7.3 and is now compatible with Windows 10 version up to 1809.

Download it here: http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

devillnside
November 8th, 2018, 07:21 PM
As of October 2018 - StartIsBack has been updated to version 2.7.3 and is now compatible with Windows 10 version up to 1809.

Download it here: http://www.startisback.com/#download-tab

anyone else having an issue with a strange glyph showing up in the shutdown button & totally screwing it up if you have the 'Display Glyph Icons' enabled!! WTF!! not cool!!

Dark Knight
November 8th, 2018, 08:32 PM
anyone else having an issue with a strange glyph showing up in the shutdown button & totally screwing it up if you have the 'Display Glyph Icons' enabled!! WTF!! not cool!!

As a rule of thumb, I always keep mine unchecked because it always screws with the button if you leave it checked.

Donkuz
November 9th, 2018, 03:57 AM
anyone else having an issue with a strange glyph showing up in the shutdown button & totally screwing it up if you have the 'Display Glyph Icons' enabled!! WTF!! not cool!! I just updated and have the same problem again I thought they got it sorted out this time, O well goodbye Glyphs.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 09:50 AM
please do not have anyone this issue with using start is back 2.8.7
i cant replace default yellow icons in start menu
working great on old version of start is back 2.8
version 2.8 RC
http://i65.tinypic.com/2z7elgo.png
version 2.8.7
http://i63.tinypic.com/nv8msl.png

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 10:41 AM
version 2.8 RC
version 2.8.7

Yup i rolled back to v2.8.6!

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 10:52 AM
version 2.8 RC
version 2.8.7

Can you please send me that Alienware Logo for basebrd.ll Thanks

Mr GRiM
July 19th, 2019, 04:39 PM
version 2.8 RC
version 2.8.7
Open the Startisback64.dll and replace the yellow folder with the closed folder icon from your pack.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 08:23 PM
Open the Startisback64.dll and replace the yellow folder with the closed folder icon from your pack.
:happy:thats amaaazing and working great thank you again a million times:loving:
http://i66.tinypic.com/301j3ix.png

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 08:32 PM
Can you please send me that Alienware Logo for basebrd.ll Thanks

yes here is:Smile:
basebrd.dll.res
basebrd.dll.bmp
http://i63.tinypic.com/e0iixl.png

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 09:53 PM
yes here is:Smile:
basebrd.dll.res
basebrd.dll.bmp
http://i63.tinypic.com/e0iixl.png

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 09:56 PM

now looks more better:happy:

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 10:02 PM

Thank You! Just realized something the gadgets frum red hud like the one that has the radio is any of those gadget radios ever gonna get updated to work on Windows 10?

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 10:05 PM

This see not working.

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 10:12 PM
This see not working.

but what not working on this?
unknown power and recycle bin or? you are on laptop
and i never using and really dont like any of the windows gadgets:ashamed:

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 10:16 PM
but what not working on this?
unknown power and recycle bin or? you are on laptop
and i never using and really dont like any of the windows gadgets:ashamed:
that one and any radio gadget that has that look dont work ever since Windows 10 First was released, they only work on Windows 7, Maybe Mark might know , just was curious that's all. EDIT: No on Computers

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 19th, 2019, 10:25 PM
that one and any radio gadget that has that look dont work ever since Windows 10 First was released, they only work on Windows 7, Maybe Mark might know , just was curious that's all. EDIT: No on Computers
yes i think Mark then need to porting this gadget or someone for working on w10 because yes is originally created for working on w7

Venom0642
July 19th, 2019, 11:15 PM

Any Chance The Radio Gadgets Can Get Ported to Windows 10 ? link below to show you what i'm talking about Thanks.
https://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/70040-StartisBack/page3?p=343532&viewfull=1#post343532

tistou77
July 20th, 2019, 09:40 PM

Hello

I made these changes in Startisback64.dll with restorator but I still have the "yellow icons"
An idea ?

Thanks for your helps

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 20th, 2019, 09:44 PM
Hello

I made these changes in Startisback64.dll with restorator but I still have the "yellow icons"
An idea ?

Thanks for your helps
please can you upload here your icon what you need replace

tistou77
July 20th, 2019, 10:07 PM
please can you upload here your icon what you need replace
Of course, thanks for your help

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 20th, 2019, 10:20 PM
Of course, thanks for your help

ok here is
unzip file and go to C:\Users\AppData\Local\StartIsBack
move StartIsBack64.dll on desktop
copy and paste my new StartIsBack64.dll file
restart explorer or sign out and sign in or restart pc
http://i65.tinypic.com/b6tvfq.png

tistou77
July 20th, 2019, 10:43 PM
ok here is
unzip file and go to C:\Users\AppData\Local\StartIsBack
move StartIsBack64.dll on desktop
copy and paste my new StartIsBack64.dll file
restart explorer or sign out and sign in or restart pc

I understood why it did not work, I had reinstalled SIB in Program Files (x86), the default location proposed by SIB
I reinstalled it in C:\Users\AppData\Local, replaced the dll and it's good

thank you very much for your help ;)

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 02:23 PM
I do not understand, on my laptop it works but on my desktop, it does not work, I copy the dll in C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack but still the yellow icon :(

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 21st, 2019, 02:44 PM
I do not understand, on my laptop it works but on my desktop, it does not work, I copy the dll in C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack but still the yellow icon :(
then you can try this step if this help to you
1.go to C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack and run StartIsBackCfg and disable program for current user and sign out and sign in
2.go back to C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack and take ownership file StartIsBack64.dll and move this file to your desktop
3.move to the C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack directory your new StartIsBack64.dll file
4.Enable Start is back for current user sign out and sign in
5.Apply again your custom theme and restart explorer.exe

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 03:04 PM
then you can try this step if this help to you
1.go to C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack and run StartIsBackCfg and disable program for current user and sign out and sign in
2.go back to C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack and take ownership file StartIsBack64.dll and move this file to your desktop
3.move to the C:\Users\tistou\AppData\Local\StartIsBack directory your new StartIsBack64.dll file
4.Enable Start is back for current user sign out and sign in
5.Apply again your custom theme and restart explorer.exe

I tested but still yellow icons :(
I will reinstall Windows (for other reasons), I will see if I still have the problem
I do not understand why the author of SIB added these yellow icons...

Thank you very much for your help

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 21st, 2019, 03:25 PM
I tested but still yellow icons :(
I will reinstall Windows (for other reasons), I will see if I still have the problem
I do not understand why the author of SIB added these yellow icons...

Thank you very much for your help
then really dont know why not working for you
only if you use 64 or 32 bit system
laptop if you are on 64bit you need replace icon in StartIsBack64.dll
desktop if you are on 32bit you need replace icon in StartIsBack32.dll
or try to replace icon in StartIsBack32.dll and StartIsBack64.dll

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 03:43 PM
then really dont know why not working for you
only if you use 64 or 32 bit system
laptop if you are on 64bit you need replace icon in StartIsBack64.dll
desktop if you are on 32bit you need replace icon in StartIsBack32.dll
or try to replace icon in StartIsBack32.dll and StartIsBack64.dll

Yes, me neither do I understand
The 2 PCs are in x64 and I modified the 32 bit dll, without success

I had saved the SIB settings in a reg file for some time, I thought it could come from there
But there only difference is the registry key StartMenuBlur, value to 1 with my backup, and value to 2 if I make the settings manually

And it does not come from there
Besides that value 1 or 2 does not change anything, it changes the Start Menu blur, is that it ?

Thanks for yur help

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 21st, 2019, 04:31 PM
Yes, me neither do I understand
The 2 PCs are in x64 and I modified the 32 bit dll, without success

I had saved the SIB settings in a reg file for some time, I thought it could come from there
But there only difference is the registry key StartMenuBlur, value to 1 with my backup, and value to 2 if I make the settings manually

And it does not come from there
Besides that value 1 or 2 does not change anything, it changes the Start Menu blur, is that it ?

Thanks for yur help
i dont understand why not working for you if you are changed StartIsBack 32.dll and StartIsBack64.dll
then this must be 100% working because StartIsBack 32&64.dll is the main file for startisback

Dark Knight
July 21st, 2019, 05:08 PM
It's really not all that important for me to think about modifying, I don't go into All Programs that often, even though I have just updated SIB and see what everyone is talking about.
IMO I think Tihly needs to change this, I have no idea why he has updated SIB to do this but really, the icons need to change accordingly with whatever folder style one uses. If you use the standard Windows icons then your folder icons in SIB should be the standard yellow, however if you install an icon pack the folder style in SIB should change to whatever the folder style is that you are installing.

Changing install directories from the standard and modifying and/or moving .dll's is just something the end user should not have to do, if we need to start reshacking SIB .dll's now and including them in icon packs chances are something in Windows or SIB will break sooner or later. especially after updates because we all know the two are never updated together at the same exact time.

Previous versions accomplished this so I think with enough complaints he will return it back. IMO, if this WAS intentional, it's kind of a bone head move, especially since my Ipack icons are shown in the SIB configuration menu ??, he HAD to know people would complain.

Personally, I wouldn't be racing to make all these changes in SIB, I have a feeling this is going to be short lived.

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 06:52 PM
Yes, but then everything must be changed and not just half (for those who have changed their themes)

Dark Knight
July 21st, 2019, 07:07 PM
Yes, but then everything must be changed and not just half (for those who have changed their themes)

I understand, that is why I am saying not to rush to make all these changes in SIB, I am sure it is just a bug and it will be fixed.

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 08:09 PM
It does not seem to be a bug for Tihiy, it also indicates to modify the dll
And so I do not think it's changed (otherwise it will have already done)

tistou77
July 21st, 2019, 09:20 PM
I may have found the solution to the problem I
I test tomorrow on my desktop and if it's good, I'll post it

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 21st, 2019, 09:26 PM
ok friends is this bug or no for me now working great and with default yellow icon
fresh install but really dont know how
here is one screen and video with fresh install visible only here in this post

xAaYTvmhc10

tistou77
July 22nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
ok friends is this bug or no for me now working great and with default yellow icon
fresh install but really dont know how
here is one screen and video with fresh install visible only here in this post

Weird, it's works for you without modify the dll...
I modified the icons in imageres.dll.num
Did you change them elsewhere ?

So to solve my icon problem
I "kill" explorer.exe, delete iconcache files in AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Explorer
Then restart explorer.exe and it's good

Bizarre that I have to do that, but it must remain traces of old icons

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
July 22nd, 2019, 07:19 PM
Weird, it's works for you without modify the dll...
I modified the icons in imageres.dll.num
Did you change them elsewhere ?

So to solve my icon problem
I "kill" explorer.exe, delete iconcache files in AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Explorer
Then restart explorer.exe and it's good

Bizarre that I have to do that, but it must remain traces of old icons
yes because start is back support version 1903 and 1903 using new .mun files in the c/windows/SystemResources directory
all of my icon packs used imageres.dll.mun.res files and then working good without modifing startisback64.dll file

Donkuz
July 23rd, 2019, 03:13 AM
I Thought I would have a go at this on 1903 H1 RS6 and I gotta say it is has made some noticeable changes with a totally adjustable transparent W10 start menu and the all programs list is also Transparent as well and works well on 1903 H1

Venom0642
July 27th, 2019, 12:53 AM
Start Menu Windows 10 Insider v1903 , 18945.1001

Breaks Startisback latest 2.8.7 and all version below 2.8.7 Doesn't stick after the new roll out on windows 10 Insider v1903 , 18945.1001 that came out today so i reinstalled but still says escape so it don't keep loading, but when you do that start and taskbar bar go back to default stock.

innuendo
August 5th, 2019, 09:20 PM
@Tistou

you can check last version which should fix it 2.8.8

tistou77
August 6th, 2019, 11:00 AM
Ok, thanks ;)

Dark Knight
August 6th, 2019, 04:32 PM
StarIsBack 2.8.8 fixes the issue of not showing custom icons in All Programs, no more editing .dll's!

ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡
August 7th, 2019, 10:23 AM
you can check last version which should fix it 2.8.8

StarIsBack 2.8.8 fixes the issue of not showing custom icons in All Programs, no more editing .dll's!
nice info friends working fine:Smile::Peace:

Hunk_4TH
August 8th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Has anyone ever had the issue of the taskbar reverting back to the default Windows taskbar instead of Starisback after exiting a game sometimes? It's random but has happened for a few years now.

Nimbi
August 9th, 2019, 12:30 AM
Has anyone ever had the issue of the taskbar reverting back to the default Windows taskbar instead of Starisback after exiting a game sometimes? It's random but has happened for a few years now.

I've had this a couple of times when running some games in full screen. I think it's basically just an issue with full screen applications but it hasn't happened often. I usually just turn off the fullscreen option in most things anyways now, though.

You can probably check the official StartIsBack forums for any details on it and maybe post a bug report regarding it if it persists.

Hunk_4TH
August 11th, 2019, 07:14 PM
I've had this a couple of times when running some games in full screen. I think it's basically just an issue with full screen applications but it hasn't happened often. I usually just turn off the fullscreen option in most things anyways now, though.

You can probably check the official StartIsBack forums for any details on it and maybe post a bug report regarding it if it persists.

Yeah, it's pretty strange. Thanks though I'll try doing that. Just wish there was a fix.