PDA

View Full Version : Question about Windows 10 activation codes

Nimbi
October 9th, 2015, 07:29 PM
I was wondering. If my Windows 10 activation code was gained from free upgrade and I lost activation due to the code being deleted in an attempt to fix Windows 10 by simply reinstalling it. Can I reactivate it with that same activation code?

freak69ize
October 9th, 2015, 08:01 PM
I was wondering. If my Windows 10 activation code was gained from free upgrade and I lost activation due to the code being deleted in an attempt to fix Windows 10 by simply reinstalling it. Can I reactivate it with that same activation code?

Ive done a fresh install of Win10 on 2 different computers since July and both were still activated after install and boot up. The install will ask for product key twice during installation.. both of which you can skip and you should be activated after install is finished

Nimbi
October 9th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Ok, thanks.

A Guy
October 11th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Windows 10 uses a new method called Digital Entitlement if you got your copy from one of several methods:

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.

You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.

You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

Basically Windows activation stores a "digital fingerprint" of your PCs hardware.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5705-activate-windows-10-a.html

You can also do a clean install

Can I reinstall the Free Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 for the free upgrade offer on an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PC, you will be able to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the same PC anytime in the future. You’ll be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD to use to install Windows 10 again after you’ve upgraded the first time.

You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10. Instead, the activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers for the PC when you upgrade from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If you make a meaningful change to your PC's hardware (ex: motherboard), you may need to contact customer support to activate by phone.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

A Guy