PDA

View Full Version : Request for a New vBulletin Skin Option

Shemhamforash
May 7th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Hello, I was wondering whether it would at all be possible to add a basic black skin for the forum.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy most of the site's eye candy and I do like the Blue and Red animated skins.

But after a while I find myself always wishing I had another option for browsing the forum with. Arena Blue is OK but it's a bit generic and the white is too bright for browsing at night.

This is my own personal taste, but I would never use any of the other skins besides the Blue and Red and Arena Blue. I've tried them all but I just don't like them much, no offense.

1. I like the textured backgrounds that are used.

2. I would like a skin that removes the HUD sidebars.

3. I would like a Virtual Customs logo that has smoke removed from it.

4. I would like the same user Online and Offline images used in the Blue and Red skins.

I know I'm asking a lot but I would love a version of the skin that has most of the color removed and the HUD Red and Blue sidebars removed.

Here's a mock up of something similar to what I'd like to see. Thanks for your consideration, and please let me know if there's anything more I can do.

Mr GRiM
June 5th, 2016, 02:20 PM
New Style added VC Black, still doing some tweaking but your welcome to try it.

Shemhamforash
June 5th, 2016, 03:01 PM
New Style added VC Black, still doing some tweaking but your welcome to try it.

It looks awesome, thank you for your work on this!
I used the Wayback Machine to look at a few different time snapshots and the site used to have so many designs I figured you could make a new one for vBulletin.
If I find anything out of the ordinary with the new skin I'll let you know. Thanks again :Smile:

Mr GRiM
June 5th, 2016, 04:33 PM
It looks awesome, thank you for your work on this!
I used the Wayback Machine to look at a few different time snapshots and the site used to have so many designs I figured you could make a new one for vBulletin.
If I find anything out of the ordinary with the new skin I'll let you know. Thanks again :Smile:

OK I think I am done with it now, might use this one myself :smile:

Shemhamforash
June 5th, 2016, 04:45 PM
OK I think I am done with it now, might use this one myself :smile:

I can see a few new details for sure. It's really great. I kind of like the few blue links that are left, it gives it a bit of variation.
The nice thing about this skin is that it's got good real estate for space with the sidebars removed, yet it's still just as good as the default blue version since it's most similar to the blue and red series. I really like the way quotes look too, and the Virtual Customs logo, overall though all the elements of the skin look really awesome together you did an amazing job.

Shemhamforash
June 5th, 2016, 11:39 PM
One thing I've noticed with this theme is that the horizontal scroll bar is always appearing on the browser even if the size is scaled down. Here's a screenshot of what I mean with the blue versus the black skin.

Blue

Black

Really enjoying the skin, it's definitely going to be my default. One of the things I like most about it is how close it is to the Blue and Red skins. Really glad you put together such a nice usable skin, thanks again.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 01:03 AM
One thing I've noticed with this theme is that the horizontal scroll bar is always appearing on the browser even if the size is scaled down. Here's a screenshot of what I mean with the blue versus the black skin.

Blue

Black

Really enjoying the skin, it's definitely going to be my default. One of the things I like most about it is how close it is to the Blue and Red skins. Really glad you put together such a nice usable skin, thanks again.

OK I had to add a bit of padding on the side, could have just padded out the right side but thought that would look strange so padded out both sides 14px, it's actually the sidebar button causing it to go off the side of the screen and making the scrollbar appear.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 01:22 AM
OK I had to add a bit of padding on the side, could have just padded out the right side but thought that would look strange so padded out both sides 14px, it's actually the sidebar button causing it to go off the side of the screen and making the scrollbar appear.

Thank you, it's fixed now.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Tweaked a few more bits, I will stop for now, let me know if there is anything else that needs fixing.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Tweaked a few more bits, I will stop for now, let me know if there is anything else that needs fixing.

I've been looking for anything, the one thing I noticed was no highlight for selected threads (probably not visible for most people).
In contrast, check marked posts will change the look of the post by making the background black.

Edit: I can see the difference now, seems like you changed the hot selected settings to something that looks good, thanks.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 05:31 AM
OK thats fixed, I decided to go with a bright color so it's clear to see the selected thread, let me know if you would prefer a different color.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 05:51 AM
OK thats fixed, I decided to go with a bright color so it's clear to see the selected thread, let me know if you would prefer a different color.

I think the highlight for the selected threads looks great, however I would like to request that the highlight for posts inside of threads to be the same color.

Looks good

Different kind of blue that could maybe look good changed

Everything else is looking really great though I'll just keep looking for anything irregular

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I'm getting good results using the Black skin on mobile. Usually when the side ticker is shown and not collapsed the thread OP is invisible except the archive attachment. In the Black skin it does display properly though. I don't use adblock on my phone anymore since the standalone app stopped working for me. I was able to successfully reply to a thread using my phone too. Usually that doesn't work with any of the custom skins, I always have to switch to the default mobile site since it would lock up.

Edit: Found one error with the logout screen on mobile:

Also, I had mentioned something earlier about the attachment window, now that you've modified it, it definitely seems a lot nicer, thanks.

Dark Knight
June 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
What gives?

I normally use the VC Blue theme, I've been away for a day or two went to log in this morning on IE 11 and this is what I got ........

However, logging in on Firefox x64 under my normal skin produces normal results, Under IE 11 I had to switch to VC Red or the default skin.

Is there a way to fix this? and I can do without the "just don't use IE" comments, these days IE is probably better for security than Firefox or Chrome.

June 6th, 2016, 03:17 PM
these days IE is probably better for security than Firefox or Chrome.

Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) sorry not to sound mean or rude but simply NO. ie is not more secure much anywhere near as customizeable, but to each there own. it is after all what works for you.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I noticed the login boxes are always layered on top of the VC logo for me on mobile using Chrome. They're in the right place when the page starts to load but than when it's done they shift over and you can't use them to log in with. Seems to happen when the browser is displaying both horizontally and vertical.

On the other hand it's only happening in Chrome. Usually I use Chrome on mobile because I find it's the easiest but the issue definitely isn't there in Pale Moon for Android.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I noticed the login boxes are always layered on top of the VC logo for me on mobile using Chrome. They're in the right place when the page starts to load but than when it's done they shift over and you can't use them to log in with. Seems to happen when the browser is displaying both horizontally and vertical.

On the other hand it's only happening in Chrome. Usually I use Chrome on mobile because I find it's the easiest but the issue definitely isn't there in Pale Moon for Android.

Have another look now, I had the wrong path for the logon button.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Have another look now, I had the wrong path for the logon button.

Thank you, it looks perfect now. I think this skin's a great presentation for the site, it'd definitely be fit for the forum default at this point. Thanks for all your effort on this, it really turned into an awesome creation by you.

Dark Knight
June 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks Grim, we are back in business daman

Dark Knight (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/199178-Dark-Knight) sorry not to sound mean or rude but simply NO. ie is not more secure much anywhere near as customizeable, but to each there own. it is after all what works for you.

Are you sure about that? have you been keeping up with Chrome's security vulnerabilities that are just not listed as such but as serious security flaws? I can deal with Firefox but Chrome will never make it onto my system just for the reason I just mentioned, it's gaping security flaws, past as well as present.
As far as customization goes, I don't need my browser to be customizable, it just needs to be quick, functional and safe.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM
What gives?

I normally use the VC Blue theme, I've been away for a day or two went to log in this morning on IE 11 and this is what I got ........

However, logging in on Firefox x64 under my normal skin produces normal results, Under IE 11 I had to switch to VC Red or the default skin.

Is there a way to fix this? and I can do without the "just don't use IE" comments, these days IE is probably better for security than Firefox or Chrome.

Should be fixed now, it was a new ad format that I was using, went back to the old code.

Thank you, it looks perfect now. I think this skin's a great presentation for the site, it'd definitely be fit for the forum default at this point. Thanks for all your effort on this, it really turned into an awesome creation by you.

I agree, I have changed it to the default style :smile:

June 6th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks Grim, we are back in business daman

Are you sure about that? have you been keeping up with Chrome's security vulnerabilities that are just not listed as such but as serious security flaws? I can deal with Firefox but Chrome will never make it onto my system just for the reason I just mentioned, it's gaping security flaws, past as well as present.
As far as customization goes, I don't need my browser to be customizable, it just needs to be quick, functional and safe.

yes i'm sure and i'm talking about extensions for functionality not customization

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I like that you reduced the width size of the side ticker in the Black skin Mr GRiM, even more real estate on screen now.

freak69ize
June 6th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Heres what i get when i click on Full Site on Android.... and i wasnt aware we had an app for VC. lol Would be awesome to have one though

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I like that you reduced the width size of the side ticker in the Black skin Mr GRiM, even more real estate on screen now.

Just trying it out at the moment, it padded out the text too much though.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Just trying it out at the moment, it padded out the text too much though.

Ah, OK.

Really like the improvements you made to the Attachment window

Nimbi
June 6th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I noticed that when the side bar on the right is active in the new VC Black theme for this website, the right side of the message box gets cutoff [basically the text inside it doesn't wrap properly and continues going past the right side of the box. It's easy to replicate if you're on the VC Black theme for this website. Just look at one of your posts with it on and click the edit button. You'll see the issue pretty quick.

Here's a screenshot;

Basically it only happens when the right side thing is active.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I noticed that when the side bar on the right is active in the new VC Black theme for this website, the right side of the message box gets cutoff [basically the text inside it doesn't wrap properly and continues going past the right side of the box. It's easy to replicate if you're on the VC Black theme for this website. Just look at one of your posts with it on and click the edit button. You'll see the issue pretty quick.

Here's a screenshot;

I'm not getting this problem either with Chrome or Pale Moon. Then again I am using Linux.

Chrome

Pale Moon

Nimbi
June 6th, 2016, 05:16 PM
hmmmm.... i wonder if it's a screen resolution issue. My maximum screen resolution is 1366x768. could that possibly be the problem? I'm also on Windows 10 TH2 Home x64.

P.S. while typing this a sidescrolling scrollbar showed up. it seems my screen resolution IS a tad small for this specific style.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Here's a screenshot;

Working fine for me on Firefox but not on IE or Chrome, this isn't a new problem though, it's the same with all the styles, even the default.

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Right, it's the size of the window and it does happen on Chrome for me too.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 05:48 PM
OK editor should be fixed now for all styles.

Mr GRiM
June 6th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Is everyone happy with the sidebar width, Avatar and font size?

Nimbi
June 6th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Is everyone happy with the sidebar width, Avatar and font size?

Yup. Loving it. I actually set VC Black as my default theme for this website due to how awesome it is. :greedy:

Shemhamforash
June 6th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Everything looking good on my end, loving this skin as well. Darkwater409 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/280551-Darkwater409) you could even set the option to Use Forum Default now and it would be the Black skin. :cheeky:
I'm really glad it's the default skin now too because a lot of the time I'll do some amount of browsing in private mode or just logged out and it's impossible to always switch back to the theme manually for that.

The activity feed looks like its had some work done on it, nice job. :tu: I like the texture pattern too.

Shemhamforash
June 22nd, 2016, 12:40 AM
I can't get over the new Black Green skin and the new forum index, they're so awesome! :plastered:

Mr GRiM
June 22nd, 2016, 12:47 AM
I can't get over the new Black Green skin and the new forum index, they're so awesome! :plastered:
Thanks mate, the site was in need of a good makeover, if there are any other color combos you guys want let me know :smile:

June 22nd, 2016, 11:45 AM

Thanks mate, the site was in need of a good makeover, if there are any other color combos you guys want let me know :smile:

not a huge fan of green and black together usually but i love how easy on the eyes this one is. thanks grim

Shemhamforash
August 6th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Mr GRiM (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=1) is it possible to have an add-on display what usernames are browsing a forum section?

Mr GRiM
August 6th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Mr GRiM (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php?u=1) is it possible to have an add-on display what usernames are browsing a forum section?

That is meant to show names there but for some reason it's not on the default style they are there so I will see if I can fix it.

Mr GRiM
August 6th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Should be fixed now, now I need to figure out what happened to the thread started by info, I am sure it used to show the user name of the thread starter and date the thread was started.

Mr GRiM
August 6th, 2016, 11:16 AM
I'm happy now, fixed the thread started by as well :smile:

Shemhamforash
August 6th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I'm happy now, fixed the thread started by as well :smile:

Very nice, everything displaying properly, the thread started by info I had noticed was gone for a while too, thanks for updating.