PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Build 10586.494 UxThemePatcher is Broken

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Hello,

Thanks to neiio's post here http://www.deviantart.com/art/neiio-s-windows-10-november-update-themepack-621565483 it became clear that there is an issue with the latest build version number and applying themes using the UxThemePatcher method. Upon finding this out I patched my system using the files found here http://www.mediafire.com/download/md38z4dczd8oaia/Theme+Patcher.rar. I was able to apply a theme but upon reboot was greeted with a black screen. A lot of you will be using this method of patching since it is slightly easier to set up and there is the all-in-one installer but I'd recommend you switch to Mr GRiM's method as soon as possible and especially before updating to that build number. Alternatively you could remove all custom themes and patching and wait to update to RS1 on August 2nd.

Dark Knight
July 14th, 2016, 03:41 PM
This is pretty much why I use Grim's version of patching and Grim's version only. Ever since the release of Windows 10 theme patchers are constantly playing catch up and I suspect they wil continue doing so. I would expect in a few weeks they will be usable again but it is a roll of the dice every time patch Tuesday comes around as to whether your system will get the dreaded black screen or not.

With Grim's method I can update with confidence that my system will reboot afterwards, I have yet to have a problem on any patch Tuesday.

Agelyk
July 14th, 2016, 04:09 PM
no problems with this build or with UXTheme Patcher

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 04:23 PM

I wonder if its because I used Theme Signature Bypass rather than UxStyle when switching to uxthemepatcher. Maybe I'll try it again later on. But the reboot was a black screen for me.

Agelyk
July 14th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I wonder if its because I used Theme Signature Bypass rather than UxStyle when switching to uxthemepatcher. Maybe I'll try it again later on. But the reboot was a black screen for me.

when installing "Window $" from 0 choose one of the two methods with which you'll use.do not change of UXTheme ... to UxStyle, or appear errors in the future, I use the first method because in my case is that it works best :D.

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM
when installing "Window $" from 0 choose one of the two methods with which you'll use.do not change of UXTheme ... to UxStyle, or appear errors in the future, I use the first method because in my case is that it works best :D.

To my mind it shouldn't change if you undo steps taken to patch a system one way and do it another. It should be the same result, in my case it was a crash of the system, possibly the same reason is why neiio updated his themes.

July 14th, 2016, 05:59 PM

makes no sense since one of grim's own post says you can have both uxstyle and uxtheme patcher installed.

Agelyk
July 14th, 2016, 06:13 PM
makes no sense since one of grim's own post says you can have both uxstyle and uxtheme patcher installed.

if you use Nvidia no mistake, but if you have AMD ... You will cause some problems. (for the latest updates Drivers AMD)

July 14th, 2016, 06:16 PM
if you use Nvidia no mistake, but if you have AMD ... You will cause some problems. (for the latest updates Drivers AMD)

gee why am i not surprised, ati/amd may make great cards but they always fail on driver support.

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Whoever from cleodesktop made the first theme patcher for Windows 10 TH2 and called it "UxThemePatcher" in my opinion should have chosen a different title for it. UltraUxThemePatcher I used to use in conjunction with UxStyle on Windows 8.1 https://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_uxtheme.php?lang=en I still find this confusing.

Anyways, angel960 it could very well be a graphics card issue. In my case I tested it on the generic virtualbox display drivers and the system crash ensued.

Mr GRiM
July 14th, 2016, 10:29 PM

I have never once said that you should or can use Uxstyle and uxtheme patcher or any type of patch that will alter system files, for starters uxstyle will not even let you install it if it detects that the system files have been modified, what I did say and recommend was using Big Muscles Theme Signature bypass and Uxstyle, mainly as a backup in the case that one or the other failed, that is as long as you don't mind having secure boot disabled if you are using UEFI.

Mr GRiM
July 14th, 2016, 10:32 PM

You should probably remove your email address from that screen.

July 14th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I have never once said that you should or can use Uxstyle and uxtheme patcher or any type of patch that will alter system files, for starters uxstyle will not even let you install it if it detects that the system files have been modified, what I did say and recommend was using Big Muscles Theme Signature bypass and Uxstyle, mainly as a backup in the case that one or the other failed, that is as long as you don't mind having secure boot disabled if you are using UEFI.

grim no disrespect meant but i have both installed, don't remember which order but they are both installed

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 11:14 PM
One thing I just checked and is true, the Theme Patcher.rar file provided by the creator of the UxThemePatcher does include both UxStyle and UltraUXThemePatcher, and the instructions do tell you to install both.

Mr GRiM
July 14th, 2016, 11:16 PM
grim no disrespect meant but i have both installed, don't remember which order but they are both installed
Most likely you used Uxstyle first and then patched the files after, I don't see why it should be a problem doing it as one patches in memory and one patches the files, unless there is some sort of conflict I guess.

Shemhamforash
July 14th, 2016, 11:21 PM
You are right GRiM the order in which they tell you to use the UxThemePatcher is that you are supposed to install UxStyle first before replacing system files with RTM build ones.

July 14th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Most likely you used Uxstyle first and then patched the files after, I don't see why it should be a problem doing it as one patches in memory and one patches the files, unless there is some sort of conflict I guess.

all i know is that i can't wait till rs1 is finally released, and everything can be back to one way of doing it. i imagine it will still be up to 3 weeks after the release of rs1 before we will have one way of doing it instead of who knows how many ways of doing it now. i'm sure i can get more than a few amens on this.

now as for the clean install that is basically for peeps that don't know how to clean their system, and that still is most peeps. i agree if you have games no on the clean install. i forgot about games cause i have like 4 minor game that installed are lucky to be 150 megs altogether.

Shemhamforash
July 15th, 2016, 12:01 AM
There was really only one way of patching since the beginning of the RS1 release branch, the only thing missing are a few themeable images that hopefully Tihiy will update ONE or nicely will make a new tool for.

July 15th, 2016, 12:10 AM
One thing I just checked and is true, the Theme Patcher.rar file provided by the creator of the UxThemePatcher does include both UxStyle and UltraUXThemePatcher, and the instructions do tell you to install both.

why pull that? it's good info for peeps

Shemhamforash
July 15th, 2016, 12:13 AM
why pull that? it's good info for peeps

Sorry, not sure what you mean.
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72155-Windows-10-Build-10586-494-UxThemePatcher-is-Broken/page3?p=314941&viewfull=1#post314941

July 15th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Sorry, not sure what you mean.
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72155-Windows-10-Build-10586-494-UxThemePatcher-is-Broken/page3?p=314941&viewfull=1#post314941

i pulled it out of a email for this thread, it said you posted that.

Shemhamforash
July 15th, 2016, 12:32 AM
i pulled it out of a email for this thread, it said you posted that.

Still, what do you mean though, I never deleted the post I'm guessing by pull you mean why did I delete?

July 15th, 2016, 12:48 AM
Still, what do you mean though, I never deleted the post I'm guessing by pull you mean why did I delete?

yes delete.

Shemhamforash
July 15th, 2016, 12:55 AM
yes delete.

Check this link it's still there, I never deleted it.
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72155-Windows-10-Build-10586-494-UxThemePatcher-is-Broken/page3?p=314943&viewfull=1#post314943

Agelyk
July 15th, 2016, 01:53 AM
You should probably remove your email address from that screen.

thanks for the warning Mr GRim , although I always use fake emails to activate.

Mr GRiM
July 15th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Check this link it's still there, I never deleted it.
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72155-Windows-10-Build-10586-494-UxThemePatcher-is-Broken/page3?p=314943&viewfull=1#post314943

You must have posted it at the same time Nude dude posted, I missed that post as well.

July 15th, 2016, 12:00 PM
thanks for the warning Mr GRim , although I always use fake emails to activate.

i don't login with an email account. i setup a local account, and say no to all the questions asked prior to landing on the desktop. if i want something that's in the store i signin just for that app so i keep my local account. and being that it's win 10 i run o&o shutup, ashampoo antispy, and spybot anti-becon.

hp321helder
July 16th, 2016, 05:12 AM
So, is there anyway to make modified visual styles work on Windows 10 Build 10586.494? Any updated UXTheme patch or method that works on this new build?
I tried patching manually and got the white screen and black screen flickering... Gladly I had a recovery point, either I would be f*cked..

Shemhamforash
July 16th, 2016, 06:39 PM
So, is there anyway to make modified visual styles work on Windows 10 Build 10586.494? Any updated UXTheme patch or method that works on this new build?
I tried patching manually and got the white screen and black screen flickering... Gladly I had a recovery point, either I would be f*cked..

You'll have to patch your system this way if you want to continue safely using custom themes http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/70555-Uxstyle-and-Theme-Signature-Bypass-for-Windows-10-TH2-AKA-1511-AKA-10586
When RS1 comes out it will be back to normal, same way of patching as was done on previous editions of Windows.

gsw953
July 17th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Why are you guys saying the Uxtheme patch is broken? It works fine one build 10586.494,I am using it myself.
You do have to manually reapply it (like originally) but it is no different from when Windows 7 sp1 came out and
everyone had to re-patch their systems then too

Shemhamforash
July 17th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I was just going by my experience of updating and then applied the Uxthemepatch then rebooted and got the black screen. neiio also said on DA that his VMs were the grey flashing screen after the update, which is why he made his theme pack for Grim's method of patching.

moralas
July 19th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Why are you guys saying the Uxtheme patch is broken? It works fine one build 10586.494,I am using it myself.
You do have to manually reapply it (like originally) but it is no different from when Windows 7 sp1 came out and
everyone had to re-patch their systems then too

Well, maybe it is like they said before, a driver problem from Ati? I updated and it doesn't work anymore. I try to install again, and also any other method, but nothing seems to work.

TimmyP
July 20th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Its completely broken. Once a change is invoked at a system level involving something theme related, its gone. I didn't even get any boot errors, and now I absolutely cannot get any theme to work