PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint Emerald help

Hunk_4TH
July 17th, 2016, 08:26 PM
I can't seem to find Emerald anywhere. Has it been discontinued? I see a lot of themes posted for it but Emeralrd seems impossible to find. I'm running the latest Mint Cinnamon 64.

Shemhamforash
July 17th, 2016, 09:03 PM
You'd have to install Compiz 0.9 series using the package manager in Linux Mint or via command line and install these two packages:
https://personal.filesanywhere.com/f...8f5b5e71b19fa8 (https://personal.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d69678f5b5e71b19fa8)
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package...n/base/emerald (http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/vivid/main/base/emerald)

Type emerald --replace in terminal to test it out. If your borders have changed than it's working.

Also, DE's like cinammon or gnome won't work with compiz. Ubuntu MATE is your best bet for easily using Compiz + Emerald as Compiz is built into the desktop by default.

Hunk_4TH
July 17th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I figured Mate would have been a better choice. Out of curiosity I installed the Mate session but that command didn't change anything.

Anything else I could try or just install Mate as suggested? I was really trying to stir clear of Ubuntu mainly because of their recently partnership with Microsoft.

Shemhamforash
July 17th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I figured Mate would have been a better choice. Out of curiosity I installed the Mate session but that command didn't change anything.

Anything else I could try or just install Mate as suggested? I was really trying to stir clear of Ubuntu mainly because of their recently partnership with Microsoft.

Ubuntu MATE is different from Ubuntu (default Unity desktop environment) in terms of who it's made by. The team working on Ubuntu MATE has previously been providing official MATE repos for all Linux OS's. Canonical simply approached them with the opportunity of becoming an official "flavor" of Ubuntu.

The reason I suggest Ubuntu MATE is mainly because it will have installed and set up mostly everything for what you need in a full MATE session. Plus if you don't know how Compiz works you will need to install and configure more things manually before it will work. In Ubuntu MATE you still need to enable Emerald by installing those programs, but Compiz can be conveniently enabled out of the box using MATE-Tweak, see more http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/70992-Ubuntu-MATE-Great-Linux-Distro-for-New-Users

Download
ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/16.04/release/ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso)

Hunk_4TH
July 17th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks again! I guess I will give Mate a shot. Luckily this is a fresh Mint installation.

I will report back with my results or if I need anymore help. Appreciate it!

Shemhamforash
July 17th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks again! I guess I will give Mate a shot. Luckily this is a fresh Mint installation.

I will report back with my results or if I need anymore help. Appreciate it!

When I last installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 all I had to do was install the attached files, selected Compiz in the MATE-Tweak Tool, opened terminal and typed
$ emerald --replace
$ sudo apt-get install ccsm
in ccsm you can enter the command emerald --replace in the Window Decoration plugin

type in terminal
$ sudo caja /usr/share/emerald/
Put themes in /usr/share/emerald/themes

http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=72800&d=1458153408

Hunk_4TH
July 17th, 2016, 11:53 PM
Ok I'm on Ubuntu Mate now. Installed the debs you attached all went well. Got Mate-tweak installed but didn't see any option for compiz in there. I also got ccsm installed. Getting closer I think :)

Shemhamforash
July 17th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Ok I'm on Ubuntu Mate now. Installed the debs you attached all went well. Got Mate-tweak installed but didn't see any option for compiz in there. I also got ccsm installed. Getting closer I think :)

It should be in the Windows section:

Hunk_4TH
July 18th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I found it. I had to reboot after installing my graphics driver lol I'll add some themes and what happens now.

Hunk_4TH
July 18th, 2016, 12:33 AM
Finally getting the hang of it! Now how does one go about getting the panel/taskbar images and icons working? :)

Shemhamforash
July 18th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Finally getting the hang of it! Now how does one go about getting the panel/taskbar images and icons working? :)

For the panel/taskbar right click it and choose properties, change size to 40px, change orientation, click the background tab, check the background image option and choose the one you want.

For the icons/cursors

$ sudo caja /usr/share/icons

Put your icons/cursors in there and choose them from the appearance program in MATE.
Unfortunately although the icons I posted here do work, sometimes they will be scaled to be extra large
Lxde does not have this problem, so I haven't updated the icon packs yet. I did port one set over to another linux icon format which took a very long time, but they don't look as sharp on lxde, have not been able to fix them

Hunk_4TH
July 18th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Thanks!! :) Worked like a charm!

Shemhamforash
July 18th, 2016, 02:26 AM
Thanks!! :) Worked like a charm!

No problem, glad Emerald and the other customizations are working for you.
To answer your earlier question about whether or not Emerald has been abandoned, no Compiz is still under active development http://blog.northfield.ws/
On Ubuntu MATE I don't recommend installing that version though, I'd stick with the version built-in to Ubuntu MATE 16.04.
Members of the MATE team also are now a part of the compiz core development team, so they have integrated the compiz version most common on Ubuntu well.

Hunk_4TH
July 18th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Nice! I'm glad to hear that it isn't abandoned! And that's good. That makes Mate even better!

Shemhamforash
July 18th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Nice! I'm glad to hear that it isn't abandoned! And that's good. That makes Mate even better!

Yeah Compiz is a lot different on my end than it is with that version on MATE. I haven't used MATE desktop environment in a while, but I would say the MATE-Tweak tool is nice and it so far only works fully on Ubuntu MATE. I don't like MATE panel as much as other options, and I'm not a big fan of the way MATE sets wallpapers but other than that I don't have too many problems with it. Overall it's definitely the second desktop environment I've spent the most time in. xfce is ok don't like it too much, kde plasma 5 is also not for me, so the only other option besides lxde/qt I like are tiling window managers.

Hunk_4TH
July 30th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, I don't care for the Mate panel either to be honest. Though I lover the Emerald themes!

Btw I'm getting this error when I run emerald --replace

Segmentation fault.

Also selecting any of the themes I installed in emerald shows up but clicking them doesn't do anything :/

Shemhamforash
July 30th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Sorry for the late reply!

Yeah, I don't care for the Mate panel either to be honest. Though I lover the Emerald themes!

Btw I'm getting this error when I run emerald --replace

Segmentation fault.

Also selecting any of the themes I installed in emerald shows up but clicking them doesn't do anything :/

When segmentation fault happens, that can mean there's a problem with the way the program is installed. Did emerald theme manager work for you before? It could be an update to your system causing the seg fault, maybe to compiz or a graphics driver.
One thing you may want to try is downloading and installing Virtualbox (should be in the package manager) and installing MATE and compiz and emerald, you might be able to see if you made an error in the way you set things up. I haven't had that problem with that version of MATE or emerald. You could also try reinstalling emerald but I'm not sure if that will work.

Hunk_4TH
July 30th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened. And yeah it worked before with that command. Though I just now got some time to play around with the themes. I'll try it in Virtual Box thanks!

Hunk_4TH
July 31st, 2016, 10:58 PM
Got it to work finally. I had to reinstall Ubuntu but I was able to restore my home folder :) Though I got the JArvis theme working it seems to have only themed the window border. Here's a screenshot

http://i65.tinypic.com/34dlk02.png

Shemhamforash
July 31st, 2016, 11:07 PM
Got it to work finally. I had to reinstall Ubuntu but I was able to restore my home folder :) Though I got the JArvis theme working it seems to have only themed the window border. Here's a screenshot

http://i65.tinypic.com/34dlk02.png

Good to know you got it working. Emerald themes only change the window border, there's nothing else it can effect. MATE uses the GTK2/3 themeing engine so to theme applications and GUI, just search in the GTK 2 or 3 linux themes section on DA or numerous other sites. :peace:

Hunk_4TH
July 31st, 2016, 11:19 PM
Oh duh I should've known :lol thanks for your help again!

Nimbi
April 25th, 2017, 12:31 PM
ok i got everything installed on mine, but my cursors dont change when i use the appearance program. I'm on Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS. They options to change them are ther. They show up in the Appearance program. But they don't change at all when I select any of the cursors in there. Any idea what's going on there and how to fix it?

Shemhamforash
April 25th, 2017, 09:50 PM
ok i got everything installed on mine, but my cursors dont change when i use the appearance program. I'm on Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS. They options to change them are ther. They show up in the Appearance program. But they don't change at all when I select any of the cursors in there. Any idea what's going on there and how to fix it?

You should be able to open up ccsm and in General Options manually type in the name of the cursor theme.

Nimbi
April 26th, 2017, 08:22 AM
not working for some reason. only shows up over browser windows. anywhere else the mouse pointer doesn't change...

---EDIT---

Got em working. Found a guide you posted in Ubuntu MATE page that explained what I was doing wrong, lol. They're working now.