PDA

View Full Version : Taskbar and start menu problem

Chris Massagee
February 22nd, 2017, 04:54 PM
So last night I installed. Fresh win10 64 on my system . Ran updates, then ran the windows theme app installed sib paid rebooted . Applied 3 or 4 different themes Andre taskbar and start menu stays the same and black for each theme

Dark Knight
February 22nd, 2017, 08:30 PM
Your are CLEARLY doing something wrong, but we cannot help without screenshots.

I want you to right click in a blank area of your start menu and select properties, that will pull up the StartIsBack properties menu, I want you to take a screen shot of each individual page and post it here start with "Start Menu" , "Appearance", "Switching", "Advanced" and "About" , all 5 pages.

Also I want you to click on your start button, select "Run" off your start menu, when the dialogue box pops up type in "winver" without the quotes and click ok, send a screenshot of that, that will tell me what version of Windows you are running.

There is no reason why if you are installing the themes and tools correctly with a paid version of SIB why your start menu and taskbar is not applying.

Chris Massagee
February 22nd, 2017, 08:36 PM
I will do that when I get back home , probably this weekend .

Dark Knight
February 22nd, 2017, 08:38 PM
I will be looking for it.

Chris Massagee
February 25th, 2017, 03:56 PM
here are the images you asked for

Chris Massagee
March 3rd, 2017, 08:03 PM
Still waiting on feedback ..

Dark Knight
March 4th, 2017, 01:21 AM
Still waiting on feedback ..

I could be wrong, don't know never used it before but you are running Windows 10 Enterprise which COULD be the problem, maybe someone can throw their two cents in here?

Just for shits and giggles, I know you really do not want to do this but I would try installing a copy of Windows 10 Pro or Home and install StartIsBack++ and a Custom theme.

Also in StartIsBack you want to uncheck "Display Glyph Icons" on the Start Menu tab.

Sorry about the wait, been busy and missed your post.

Chris Massagee
March 4th, 2017, 11:50 AM
I will seeif I can find a copy of win 10 pro and try it .

Shemhamforash
March 4th, 2017, 11:54 AM
It looks to me like there is another problem with applying a theme on your computer. Have you installed the tools to patch your system using this guide? http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72488-Installing-themes-on-Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-1607-Build-14393-10-Redstone-One

Run this if it's not working. You can uninstall the patches you aplied beforehand and apply the default theme first. http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/72627-Windows-10-All-In-One-Installer-with-Uninstaller

Because I see the borders are white and some backgrounds are black with red text, so the theme could only be partially applied. This is probably why SiB can't read the .msstyles.

EDIT: I think you are using a custom theme from some other site. Not all theme creators add in a compatibility for StartisBack so you could try one from my section, since I know they all do http://virtualcustoms.net/forumdisplay.php/1250-Themes-by-Shemhamforash

The only important screenshot is this one

http://virtualcustoms.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=76892&d=1488041571

because it should have an option you can choose in there for the custom theme. But it will only show up if you have a custom theme running.

I don't know how you installed SiB, but if you want to use a theme with it without fixing how your theme currently looks, you can drop a .msstyles file into either

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\StartIsBack\Styles

or C:\Program Files (x86)\StartIsBack\Styles

and be able to choose a custom theme's start menu with the same effect.

Shemhamforash
March 4th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I will seeif I can find a copy of win 10 pro and try it .

I have run Enterprise for a while and it's not the issue with themes or StartisBack not working, everything works the same.

Chris Massagee
March 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I have run Enterprise for a while and it's not the issue with themes or StartisBack not working, everything works the same.

Yea I've used enterprise before and never has issues .But I will try what you said the next time I'm off work

Dark Knight
March 4th, 2017, 06:10 PM
You know Shem may be right, I automatically assumed you where using one of the themes from here and looking at your screens now I do not recognize it.

Chris Massagee
March 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM
You know Shem may be right, I automatically assumed you where using one of the themes from here and looking at your screens now I do not recognize it.

all my themes are from here

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 04:50 AM
I installed 1607 in virtual machine and everything works fine but I know once I install it on my main machine it won't work . I don't install any apps but what's included in the installer from the theme installer .I'll post images later

Shemhamforash
March 6th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I installed 1607 in virtual machine and everything works fine but I know once I install it on my main machine it won't work . I don't install any apps but what's included in the installer from the theme installer .I'll post images later

Well the full theme is working here, and it's not in your other screens. Which is why I suggested you try another patching method, have you? Because the borders aren't showing up in the other screens.

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 07:38 PM
Well the full theme is working here, and it's not in your other screens. Which is why I suggested you try another patching method, have you? Because the borders aren't showing up in the other screens.

yes i did try all the other patches and nothing has worked . i might try another full reinstall and not use the theme installer and do everything manually .shouldn't take no more then a hour

Dark Knight
March 6th, 2017, 08:35 PM
If they run in a VM on your machine but not in the main environment then there could be something prohibiting it. Have you tried turning of any and all security software before patching?

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 08:49 PM
If they run in a VM on your machine but not in the main environment then there could be something prohibiting it. Have you tried turning of any and all security software before patching?

i always have a problem withWindows Defender

Shemhamforash
March 6th, 2017, 09:19 PM
i always have a problem withWindows Defender

You can disable it using Winaero Tweaker

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 11:03 PM
well i have done everything i was asked todo and still nothing . i even reinstalled windows

Shemhamforash
March 6th, 2017, 11:06 PM
So what did you do/install? Or are we just supposed to guess.

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 11:21 PM
So what did you do/install? Or are we just supposed to guess.

UxStyle
Theme Signature Bypass
UltraUXThemePatcher_3.1.10
winaero

each one was installed one by one and tested after each one was installed

Uxstyle and ultra was tested together and then theme signature

disabled defender with winaero

Shemhamforash
March 6th, 2017, 11:22 PM
UxStyle
Theme Signature Bypass
UltraUXThemePatcher_3.1.10
winaero

each one was installed one by one and tested after each one was installed

Uxstyle and ultra was tested together and then theme signature

disabled defender with winaero

Virtualbox uses generic display drivers. Maybe it's your graphics card. You could try uninstalling UxStyle (reboot) and UltraUXThemePatcher. It's not necessary to have three theme patchers installed.

Than attach a screenshot of the AMD theme maybe. You could also try the beta of SiB http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173158-beta-channel/?page=10

Chris Massagee
March 6th, 2017, 11:36 PM
Virtualbox uses generic display drivers. Maybe it's your graphics card. You could try uninstalling UxStyle (reboot) and UltraUXThemePatcher. It's not necessary to have three theme patchers installed.

Than attach a screenshot of the AMD theme maybe. You could also try the beta of SiB http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173158-beta-channel/?page=10

how do i uninstall ultrathemepatcher if it patches 3 files?

Shemhamforash
March 7th, 2017, 12:09 AM
how do i uninstall ultrathemepatcher if it patches 3 files?

It should be in your installed programs list. Or double click to run the installer. Did you download it from https://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_uxtheme.php?lang=en

That screenshot confirms it's not start is back but the theme itself that isn't working.

Chris Massagee
March 7th, 2017, 12:17 AM
the themes ive been using have been from your area on the forum

Shemhamforash
March 7th, 2017, 01:04 AM
the themes ive been using have been from your area on the forum

I don't mean the actual themes. But that you aren't able to apply them on your end.

Dark Knight
March 8th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I don't mean the actual themes. But that you aren't able to apply them on your end.

I am starting to think that maybe someone ought to do the installation for him through team viewer ...... :sigh:

If he can install themes in a VM there should be no reason why he cannot on the main system and in my mind there would only be three reason why he could not .......

1.) He is not or does not log in through an administrator account
2.) Security software running during theme tool install that would prevent themes from displaying correctly.
3.) The theme itself not being installed correctly in the correct place, which more than likely he is doing right because the themes run in a VM for him.

I'd bet my bottom dollar it is something security wise that he and / or we do not know about.

Chris Massagee
March 8th, 2017, 07:58 PM
1.) He is not or does not log in through an administrator account..

i do have to make a user name each time i do a reinstall of windows

Dark Knight
March 8th, 2017, 09:06 PM
1.) He is not or does not log in through an administrator account..

i do have to make a user name each time i do a reinstall of windows

When you log in, do you log into a local account or do you log in using a Microsoft account?

Are you the administrator of your system? you can check by going to: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change Account Type , if your account says "Administrator" you are ok. I am pretty sure whenever you perform a clean install of Windows, the account you set up automatically becomes the administrator account.

Chris Massagee
March 8th, 2017, 11:16 PM
I will check that when I get home from work .I'm out of town for a few days .I'm on mobile now

Chris Massagee
March 13th, 2017, 07:24 PM
When you log in, do you log into a local account or do you log in using a Microsoft account?

Are you the administrator of your system? you can check by going to: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change Account Type , if your account says "Administrator" you are ok. I am pretty sure whenever you perform a clean install of Windows, the account you set up automatically becomes the administrator account.

yes i am the admin for this pc