PDA

View Full Version : Best way to undo everything?

JaxBug
March 7th, 2017, 06:24 AM
Okay so I got the dark theme installed and it was all wonderful and great, and then the Anniversary update came. My computer has been stuck in an endless failing update loop and it's been driving me nuts for months, since it turns itself on every night now just to fail the same updates again and again. I really would prefer not to do a fresh install if it can be helped, so maybe if I can just follow a guide somewhere on how to revert all the changes I can install this stupid update and not have this issue anymore.

The Microsoft support forums were (of course) completely useless up until earlier today when someone suggested this:

open C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\aero and revert any renaming you did to aerolite.msstyles file - after this correction update should install perfectly
I'm having some trouble renaming the files even though I gave myself ownership to them.

So yeah I'm a little lost and would just like some help with this. I probably should've asked for help here first instead of going to Microsoft, that would've been...smarter.

March 7th, 2017, 11:17 AM
JaxBug (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/303805-JaxBug) if your system has been like this for months then i strongly recommend you rerun 10. once that is done use dhjohns all-in-in installer to install everything you need. fyi in the future if you know a major update to 10 is coming like in your case 1511 to 1607(cumulative updates can be ignored)uninstall everything you used to allow you to use custom themes before doing or allowing the update. once the 10 update is installed then and only then can you re-setup your system to use custom themes. mr grim has a fantastic tutorial on how to apply custom themes for 1607 aka 14393.???.

Agelyk
March 7th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I think there's no better way to restore Windows than by formatting it and installing it from 0 because backups never restore the system to 100% without failures.

March 7th, 2017, 04:48 PM
angel960 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/261036-angel960) while you opinion is very much appreciated i know for a fact that there are backup programs for 10 that work perfectly every time. on that note though with how quick it is today to get back to where you were i would recommend doing a fresh install. way too many problems take far longer to sort than just reinstalling the os, installing your apps, and tweaking it to your liking does.

dhjohns
March 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM
angel960 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/261036-angel960) while you opinion is very much appreciated i know for a fact that there are backup programs for 10 that work perfectly every time. on that note though with how quick it is today to get back to where you were i would recommend doing a fresh install. way too many problems take far longer to sort than just reinstalling the os, installing your apps, and tweaking it to your liking does.Yea the initial install only takes a few minutes. Then I have a bat file which installs all my tweaks, and programs! Life is good!

Agelyk
March 7th, 2017, 08:01 PM
angel960 (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/261036-angel960) while you opinion is very much appreciated i know for a fact that there are backup programs for 10 that work perfectly every time. on that note though with how quick it is today to get back to where you were i would recommend doing a fresh install. way too many problems take far longer to sort than just reinstalling the os, installing your apps, and tweaking it to your liking does.

mmm...tell me some that worked for you 100% so that I can prove it

March 7th, 2017, 10:00 PM
mmm...tell me some that worked for you 100% so that I can prove it

let me make myself perfectly clear we are not going to get into a pissing contest PERIOD! i delete the one thread because you and dhjons turned it into something i told you it wasn't going to become. these antics end now.

dhjohns
March 7th, 2017, 10:23 PM
let me make myself perfectly clear we are not going to get into a pissing contest PERIOD!Then don't start one! LOL

peter.pan
March 7th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Good day all...........
I think ya all overthink it toooo much ..Just uninstall the things that changed your win 10.......reset to basic them Then reboot .....Then run
sfc /scannow in command promt as admin........thats it :Smile:Do your update.......then your good as gold....

March 7th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Then don't start one! LOL

i didn't and you damn well know it, cause you're the one who started playing fan boy in the other thread. now no further comments on this from you or angel.

March 7th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Good day all...........
I think ya all overthink it toooo much ..Just uninstall the things that changed your win 10.......Then reboot .....Then run
sfc /scannow in command promt as admin........thats it :Smile:

he's had they system this way for months so extremely unlikely sfc will work for him.

peter.pan
March 7th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Give it a go.....nothing to loos ....every thin to gain ....May just be enough for the update,cheers:Peace:

JaxBug
March 7th, 2017, 11:07 PM
he's had they system this way for months so extremely unlikely sfc will work for him.
The issue is that it doesn't want to install the anniversary update (or any cumulative updates for it) but it runs fine other than that. In fact any updates not relating to it install just fine.

JaxBug
March 7th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Good day all...........
I think ya all overthink it toooo much ..Just uninstall the things that changed your win 10.......reset to basic them Then reboot .....Then run
sfc /scannow in command promt as admin........thats it :Smile:Do your update.......then your good as gold....

Here's what I got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 19% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

March 7th, 2017, 11:58 PM
JaxBug (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/303805-JaxBug) it's your system so it's your call, but i do suggest getting a copy of 14393.726 if you don't have it, and doing a fresh install.

Gryffon
March 8th, 2017, 12:29 AM
I think you can update manually using "media creation tool" because i got that issue on my virtual machine ver .10586 (uxthemepatcher)

Here is the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

"download tool now"

Open / Accept / select Update this computer now ... Wait, Hopefully this works for you.

And next time use Uxstyle or AIO.

JaxBug
March 8th, 2017, 12:50 AM
I think you can update manually using "media creation tool" because i got that issue on my virtual machine ver .10586 (uxthemepatcher)

Here is the link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

"download tool now"

Open / Accept / select Update this computer now ... Wait, Hopefully this works for you.

And next time use Uxstyle or AIO.

I will try this and see what happens. Thanks.

peter.pan
March 8th, 2017, 12:49 PM
good day .......
The sfc /scannow must run as admin .hop this helps:peace:The download tool is a good idea ..it might work..........Good luck !!!!

JaxBug
March 8th, 2017, 10:53 PM
The sfc /scannow must run as admin .hop this helps The download tool is a good idea ..it might work..........Good luck !!!!

That's what I did.

Anyways I'm feeling pretty fed up at this point so I guess my only real choice is to do a fresh install.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/207595459835985921/289182606636089354/uyhg.png

peter.pan
March 8th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Good day ..
Did you check on the net about that error code....
One more try........
try updating in safe mode with internet connection......
or try turning off your antivirus permanently .........
or is your remote registry turned off....check it in services it should be set to auto start ...
Dont give up just yet...

there is a good tool that works well called Windows Repair Pro v3.9.23 you can grab it on p-bay

JaxBug
March 9th, 2017, 12:01 AM
there is a good tool that works well called Windows Repair Pro v3.9.23 you can grab it on p-bay

Do you have a link?

peter.pan
March 9th, 2017, 12:07 AM
ill send it in your mail ok

peter.pan
March 9th, 2017, 12:16 AM
That's what I did.

Anyways I'm feeling pretty fed up at this point so I guess my only real choice is to do a fresh install.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/207595459835985921/289182606636089354/uyhg.png

I sent you the link in your mail.......

March 9th, 2017, 11:12 AM
JaxBug (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/303805-JaxBug) any luck yet trying peter.pan (http://virtualcustoms.net/member.php/197464-peter-pan)'s fixes?

JaxBug
March 10th, 2017, 01:11 AM
I'm in the process of backing up my computer's files to an external hard drive and burning an ISO to a flash drive to do a fresh install. The link I was sent was for a torrent on pirate bay and I'm just not going to bother with that. I'm at the end of the line in terms with frustration towards my computer, and I admit I should've come here months ago to figure out what was wrong when the anniversary update wouldn't install rather than trying the MS support forums (which is filled with completely useless people who send you through endless hoops that do nothing to resolve your problems, it's really quite infuriating and they seem to do it to everyone). I guess I just don't really have the patience anymore to do more troubleshooting when I've done it so many times already. I was putting off just starting from scratch because reinstalling all my files and preferences will be a massive pain.

Thanks for the help regardless. This was a risk I accepted when putting custom themes on my computer.

March 10th, 2017, 01:59 AM
I'm in the process of backing up my computer's files to an external hard drive and burning an ISO to a flash drive to do a fresh install. The link I was sent was for a torrent on pirate bay and I'm just not going to bother with that. I'm at the end of the line in terms with frustration towards my computer, and I admit I should've come here months ago to figure out what was wrong when the anniversary update wouldn't install rather than trying the MS support forums (which is filled with completely useless people who send you through endless hoops that do nothing to resolve your problems, it's really quite infuriating and they seem to do it to everyone). I guess I just don't really have the patience anymore to do more troubleshooting when I've done it so many times already. I was putting off just starting from scratch because reinstalling all my files and preferences will be a massive pain.

Thanks for the help regardless. This was a risk I accepted when putting custom themes on my computer.

i've sent you a pm

peter.pan
March 10th, 2017, 08:58 PM

good day.....
sorry to see that you could not fix it..........
I recommend that after you re do everything create a clone .......
this is the reason that i stay with win 7.....its a stable version of windows ........hope it works out for you:peace:

March 10th, 2017, 10:11 PM
good day.....
sorry to see that you could not fix it..........
I recommend that after you re do everything create a clone .......
this is the reason that i stay with win 7.....its a stable version of windows ........hope it works out for you:peace:

actually 10 is normally stable, but like anything including win 7 things happen.