PDA

View Full Version : How do I install custom themes on Ubuntu 16.04?

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 03:25 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could give me instructions on installing custom themes on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Also, if someone with proper permissions is up to the task, could someone please start porting the themes from here on VC to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? [I'm not saying all at once, but maybe start porting some of the popular themes over for now].

Shemhamforash
March 12th, 2017, 03:48 AM
All you need it do is copy a theme, open file manager as root in /usr/share/themes and paste the theme. Have you tried the Arc themes, I have been using a black version of it I modified myself for the last several months, it is not that difficult to edit Linux themes.

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 04:38 AM
All you need it do is copy a theme, open file manager as root in /usr/share/themes and paste the theme. Have you tried the Arc themes, I have been using a black version of it I modified myself for the last several months, it is not that difficult to edit Linux themes.

How do i open the /usr/share/themes folder as root?

Shemhamforash
March 12th, 2017, 04:40 AM
How do i open the /usr/share/themes folder as root?

$ sudo nautilus /usr/share/themes

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 04:50 AM
$ sudo nautilus /usr/share/themes

lol, just found a way to do it via right click menu, lol....

Can you possibly port the AMD Revolution Emerald theme to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? I don't know how to make themes work with linux lol. Also, i seem to have more themes in there than what show up in the appearance area, the only ones that show up in there have a index.theme file and a unity folder as well, the rest don't have either.

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Found something that works for now. Arc themes were for an older version of Ubuntu but a program I found allows them to be loaded properly. Basically got em working with the Gnome Tweak Tool, lol.

Shemhamforash
March 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Can you possibly port the AMD Revolution Emerald theme to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? I don't know how to make themes work with linux lol. Also, i seem to have more themes in there than what show up in the appearance area, the only ones that show up in there have a index.theme file and a unity folder as well, the rest don't have either.

No they can't be ported. I managed to install emerald but it broke unity.

If you want to use emerald I suggest using Ubuntu MATE, it's a better distro anyways.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM
no worries, i did find that despite the manual method failing every time, installing via the PPA method does work for me. I managed to get a few nice themes on here via the PPA method. [only three commands and they're in, woohoo]. also the Gnome Tweak Tool is what I'm using to select themes since it has more options and functionality than the Appearance option in the Dash.

If you are able to create Unity versions that can be installed via PPA then I would gladly try them out, but that's up to you.

Here's some screenshots of my current setup.

This one is the Vertex Dark theme with the Arc icons

Shemhamforash
March 12th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I can't create unity versions of emerald themes. They only change the window borders anyways.

Nimbi
March 12th, 2017, 07:52 PM
I can't create unity versions of emerald themes. They only change the window borders anyways.

ah, ok

Shemhamforash
March 12th, 2017, 09:49 PM
no worries, i did find that despite the manual method failing every time, installing via the PPA method does work for me. I managed to get a few nice themes on here via the PPA method. [only three commands and they're in, woohoo]. also the Gnome Tweak Tool is what I'm using to select themes since it has more options and functionality than the Appearance option in the Dash.

If you are able to create Unity versions that can be installed via PPA then I would gladly try them out, but that's up to you.

Here's some screenshots of my current setup.

This one is the Vertex Dark theme with the Arc icons

The Arc icons are good, I was using them for a while but they are missing a few icons (they don't seem to change the panel icons). Another good set are the Oxygen icons, they can be installed from synaptic.

I just downloaded the Vertex themes and Ceti as well. They're made by horst3180 (who also created Arc). neiio ported these themes to Windows 10, he's one of the best theme creators for Linux I think.

Edit: Here's a nice list of some of the best current themes http://winaero.com/blog/best-gtk-themes-in-2016-for-linux/

Nimbi
March 13th, 2017, 10:42 PM
The Arc icons are good, I was using them for a while but they are missing a few icons (they don't seem to change the panel icons). Another good set are the Oxygen icons, they can be installed from synaptic.

I just downloaded the Vertex themes and Ceti as well. They're made by horst3180 (who also created Arc). neiio ported these themes to Windows 10, he's one of the best theme creators for Linux I think.

Edit: Here's a nice list of some of the best current themes http://winaero.com/blog/best-gtk-themes-in-2016-for-linux/

Found out I can swap Environments in Ubuntu without breaking any. Just have to be installed in a way that lets you use the little icon on login screens user spot to swap between them. Here is Arc Dark on the Gnome Classic Environment with Arc Shell activated as well.

bennieMaria
April 24th, 2019, 10:07 PM
Hi, My name is Mike John. My questions is How to Install Wireless Netgear Router Support WG111V2 on Linux Ubuntu. Please tell me any one, what is the step.Thanks & Regards,Mike John