PDA

View Full Version : Need Original Vista Start Orb

RECONBunny
March 15th, 2017, 05:22 AM
I have skinned my system to look like Vista for the most part but what I really want is to extract the ORIGINAL Vista start orb. I have someone who still uses vista send me the themes folder. There is this program called Vista Style Builder that apparently has a section that literally has the orb but it's 22 dollars. Is there anyone here who uses this that can please help me? I have ran into several remakes of the orb but no official ones. Help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Splitwirez
March 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM
You can use Resource Hacker to extract the Start Orb from the MsStyles this "someone" sent you. Windows Style Builder just makes it easier to find (and you'd be missing the point, as it is meant for creating styles, extracting resources from them is just a means to that end). Sadly, this is pretty much a Vista-only trick, as on XP you'll only get a blank background, on 7 and 8.1 you won't find anything, and IIRC on 10 you'll only get the idle state (the other states are generated using an algorithm, if my understanding is correct).