PDA

View Full Version : Change File Explorer menu font

omo
July 2nd, 2017, 03:19 PM
Hi,
I changed all the fonts in .msstyles, but Explorer's menu font is not affected. I added MENUFONT:font in Toolbars , headers and rebar > toolbars and headers > toolbar > default
Is it not controlled by .msstyles?

And I can't change Explorer's menu bar color either. I tried to do it in Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu Bar > Background

Appreciate any help.

omo
July 5th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Is this forum dead? Or did I ask improperly?

Mr GRiM
July 5th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Can you show a screenshot with an example of the font you want to change, most of the explorer fonts are controlled in Fonts & System Metrics, Fonts, Colors, & System Metrics > Fonts & System Metrics

omo
July 6th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I decided to apply my theme to a freshly installed 8.1. About the only place where the font was changed is the Control Panel and Task Manager. In all other places the font is unchanged (File Explorer, Start Menu, MS Office menus, etc). Again, the theme has every font changed from Segoe to Tahoma (anti-aliased), that's about 3 dozen locations in WSB.

But when I apply the theme from within WSB, all text in Explorer changes to Tahoma, except for the menu (Ribbon). In fact text in most places all over Windows changes to Tahoma, with the glaring exception of Explorer menu, the start menu (Classic Shell) and MS Office menus, which retain Segoe ClearType.

Shemhamforash
July 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM
I decided to apply my theme to a freshly installed 8.1. About the only place where the font was changed is the Control Panel and Task Manager. In all other places the font is unchanged (File Explorer, Start Menu, MS Office menus, etc). Again, the theme has every font changed from Segoe to Tahoma (anti-aliased), that's about 3 dozen locations in WSB.

But when I apply the theme from within WSB, all text in Explorer changes to Tahoma, except for the menu (Ribbon). In fact text in most places all over Windows changes to Tahoma, with the glaring exception of Explorer menu, the start menu (Classic Shell) and MS Office menus, which retain Segoe ClearType.

Your theme will display your desired font choice in testing mode because in Windows 8+ system metrics need to be applied from a seperate file for the fonts and window metrics to display as intended. One way around this is to enter testing mode, apply a theme from control panel, and exit testing mode and wsb.

To obtain your system metrics do the following:

First test the theme in WSB, when you are testing themes system metrics are applied, open the registry editor while testing and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics and export the system metrics.

A couple things to mention, classic shell doesn't theme with msstyles, it's encouraged to use StartisBack+ for msstyles support. I don't believe Office supports any custom themes either. Lastly, if you want help with the explorer menu, post a screenshot, it is not clear what you're talking about.

omo
July 6th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Your theme will display your desired font choice in testing mode because in Windows 8+ system metrics need to be applied from a seperate file for the fonts and window metrics to display as intended. One way around this is to enter testing mode, apply a theme from control panel, and exit testing mode and wsb.

Sorry, I am not sure I quite understand. Are saying that applying a theme in 8+ will only change some fonts (Control Panel fonts) and that you have to save a .reg file during testing and later apply it to really change fonts and other metrics? But I never did it, yet I still end up with all font changed (except Ribbon).

And what if I later have to switch to Aero (for example) for a second, to be able to save my current theme, will I have to run the Metrics.reg file again? Because on the one hand, once the fonts changed they don’t revert back to Windows default (sometimes they do, but sign out cures that). On the other hand, though, there is an issue with BorderWidth, which keeps changing back to -15, even though it’s 0 in WSB and even if I change it directly in Registry it still reverts to -15 each time I switch to Aero to save my theme (at the same time PaddedBorderWidth stays at zero just fine).

Shemhamforash
July 6th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I am not sure I quite understand. Are saying that applying a theme in 8+ will only change some fonts (Control Panel fonts) and that you have to save a .reg file during testing and later apply it to really change fonts and other metrics? But I never did it, yet I still end up with all font changed (except Ribbon).

So in Windows 8+ when you test a theme in WSB, the fonts will display correctly in the theme. But if you exit testing mode and apply it through control panel, the fonts won't display. This is because the system metrics are no longer loaded as they were in test mode. So to have the theme display as intended, you must first enter testing mode, export the system metrics as explained in my last post, exit testing mode, apply those system metrics, logout, then apply the theme through control panel.

And what if I later have to switch to Aero (for example) for a second, to be able to save my current theme, will I have to run the Metrics.reg file again? Because on the one hand, once the fonts changed they don’t revert back to Windows default (sometimes they do, but sign out cures that). On the other hand, though, there is an issue with BorderWidth, which keeps changing back to -15, even though it’s 0 in WSB and even if I change it directly in Registry it still reverts to -15 each time I switch to Aero to save my theme (at the same time PaddedBorderWidth stays at zero just fine).

I don't really understand the question. If you export the system metrics, quit wsb, apply the system metrics, logout and apply the theme from control panel, the system metrics will apply your intended border width and fonts. Not sure what you mean with switching to aero, but if you follow my steps the theme will work.

omo
July 6th, 2017, 04:11 PM
So in Windows 8+ when you test a theme in WSB, the fonts will display correctly in the theme. But if you exit testing mode and apply it through control panel, the fonts won't display. This is because the system metrics are no longer loaded as they were in test mode. So to have the theme display as intended, you must first enter testing mode, export the system metrics as explained in my last post, exit testing mode, apply those system metrics, logout, then apply the theme through control panel.

My system doesn’t behave the way you describe. As I said above, I never used the method you talk about, yet I end up with most metrics permanently changed. On the other hand, BorderWidth changes no matter what, even if I change it by hand in the registry. In fact, I just used your method, then opened WSB and used “Test” (just for the hell of it), then stopped, closed WSB, opened the registry and BorderWidth is back to -15. See image for how my WSB metrics look. How is this possible? I didn’t eve switch themes this time!

Shemhamforash
July 6th, 2017, 04:14 PM
My system doesn’t behave the way you describe. As I said above, I never used the method you talk about, yet I end up with most metrics permanently changed. On the other hand, BorderWidth changes no matter what, even if I change it by hand in the registry. In fact, I just used your method, then opened WSB and used “Test” (just for the hell of it), then stopped, closed WSB, opened the registry and BorderWidth is back to -15. See image for how my WSB metrics look. How is this possible? I didn’t eve switch themes this time!

The metrics are probably still the custom ones because Test mode wasn't fully exited, so the metrics carried over when you apply a theme from control panel. If you open the default aero theme with WSB you will see the default font and border metrics. Maybe someone else can help you, I don't have anything else to contribute to this discussion.

omo
July 6th, 2017, 04:25 PM
As to the Explorer menu font which won't change, here's the image.

Shemhamforash
July 6th, 2017, 04:33 PM
As to the Explorer menu font which won't change, here's the image.

We use OldNewExplorer to hide the ribbon and theme the classic menu bar. It is most likely dangerous and somewhat difficult to alter the metro ribbon, the only one I know of that knows how to do this is Splitwirez, you could message him here if you're interested http://rob55rod.deviantart.com/