PDA

View Full Version : WSB Tutorial please....

Nimbi
June 2nd, 2019, 12:32 AM
Yo, ok so I boguht Windows Style Builder today and am trying to fix the Immersive Context Menu in the LoL Game VS. But every time I do so it completely breaks the msstyle. Anyone got a proper [yet simple] tutorial on using Windows Style Builder for a complete noob? Because I'm completely stuck here....

Mr GRiM
June 2nd, 2019, 06:16 AM
Probably the best advise I can give you is to study the default aero theme and see what might be different, sometimes the biggest problem is the amount or size of the images, it's best to make images as small as they can be and using sizing margins effectively.

Donkuz
June 2nd, 2019, 09:48 AM
Hi Nimbi, Good to see you have now got WSB Heres a Great Tut for using WSB I use it myself and it has a rundown on resizing and Importing Images and Propertys, if you havent already got it heres a link to The Complete PDF on Theme Building I hope it helps
http://virtualcustoms.net/showthread.php/28810-Complete-Guide-to-Theme-Building?p=164775&viewfull=1#post164775 Have Fun Mate:Peace:Cheerz!!

devillnside
June 3rd, 2019, 04:22 AM
Yo, ok so I boguht Windows Style Builder today and am trying to fix the Immersive Context Menu in the LoL Game VS. But every time I do so it completely breaks the msstyle. Anyone got a proper [yet simple] tutorial on using Windows Style Builder for a complete noob? Because I'm completely stuck here....

check the image size for your PopupItem under immersive menu.. i have had that part causing similar problems for me in my themes sometimes... also if i remember correctly, by default windows has two states there, one sets the normal state background & the second is the highlighted state & i don't think you can use more than two images for both states there as that would throw an error

Nimbi
June 3rd, 2019, 05:47 PM
check the image size for your PopupItem under immersive menu.. i have had that part causing similar problems for me in my themes sometimes... also if i remember correctly, by default windows has two states there, one sets the normal state background & the second is the highlighted state & i don't think you can use more than two images for both states there as that would throw an error

My issue is that the entire theme stops loading when i save it. The custom start menu is gone, the custom explorerframe is gone, it completely removes them all in the saved version. So I'm not sure wtf is going on, lol. All that's really left is the bg. Basically it acts like I'm loading a windows 7 theme [my system has built-in protection that prevents bricking in cases like those by simply loading the default aero theme resources in place of the unsupported resources].

My guess is that it's trying to save it as a Windows 7 theme but I have no idea if that's the case or if it is, then how tf to fix it, lol.

devillnside
June 3rd, 2019, 05:53 PM
My issue is that the entire theme stops loading when i save it. The custom start menu is gone, the custom explorerframe is gone, it completely removes them all in the saved version. So I'm not sure wtf is going on, lol. All that's really left is the bg. Basically it acts like I'm loading a windows 7 theme [my system has built-in protection that prevents bricking in cases like those by simply loading the default aero theme resources in place of the unsupported resources].

My guess is that it's trying to save it as a Windows 7 theme but I have no idea if that's the case or if it is, then how tf to fix it, lol.

when you say fixing the immersive menu what exactly are you changing there?

Nimbi
June 3rd, 2019, 06:05 PM
when you say fixing the immersive menu what exactly are you changing there?

The immersive context menu image needs to be replaced with a solid image because it's using a transparent image and that's creating isues with the highlight sticking. I have the solid image but the theme itself simply isn't saving properly.

devillnside
June 3rd, 2019, 07:21 PM
The immersive context menu image needs to be replaced with a solid image because it's using a transparent image and that's creating isues with the highlight sticking. I have the solid image but the theme itself simply isn't saving properly.

if you are using vanilla WSB then that might be an issue.. what you need to do is get Grim's import script for the version of the os you are on (am assuming 1809) & replace the main executable fiile in the import script with your executable

Mr GRiM
June 4th, 2019, 07:03 AM

More likely is that there is an error in the msstyles from the image you are trying to use, as I mentioned before, make images as small as possible and use sizing margins to stretch them, if there are to many large images it will cause errors and the theme will not load.

innuendo
June 4th, 2019, 07:55 AM
if you are using vanilla WSB then that might be an issue.. what you need to do is get Grim's import script for the version of the os you are on (am assuming 1809) & replace the main executable fiile in the import script with your executable

Hi

Could you explain how to cos I don't understand :amazed:

Nimbi
June 4th, 2019, 12:24 PM

YOSH!!! THIS WAS THE ISSUE ALL ALONG!!! Thank you SOOOO much!! It is fixed now =). Now i just got fix this damned overlapping text in task scheduler, lmao.

Here's a screenshot of that for reference, lmao.

https://i.imgur.com/NECeCmu.png

Mr GRiM
June 4th, 2019, 06:59 PM
YOSH!!! THIS WAS THE ISSUE ALL ALONG!!! Thank you SOOOO much!! It is fixed now =). Now i just got fix this damned overlapping text in task scheduler, lmao.

Have a look at the image in Lists, Menus, & Tabs > Tab > Pane and make sure it is opaque, if it isn't then you will see this problem with the text in some places with tabs.

devillnside
June 4th, 2019, 09:53 PM

glad it worked out.. & as Mr GRim said, the image definitely has transparency which is why you got the overlapping text

devillnside
June 4th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Hi

Could you explain how to cos I don't understand :amazed:

just copy & paste your Windows Style Builder.exe into the import script folder replacing the one already there

Nimbi
June 4th, 2019, 10:30 PM
glad it worked out.. & as Mr GRim said, the image definitely has transparency which is why you got the overlapping text

Ok so which image am i looking for here then? Actually let me se if Erin has this one as well, lol.

---EDIT---

Nvm I found it. Thanks for the help. I've now managed to fully fix this theme. Will be posting it ASAP!.

innuendo
June 5th, 2019, 08:51 AM
just copy & paste your Windows Style Builder.exe into the import script folder replacing the one already there

Hi Devil :) I have wsb beta 1.53 so not concerned but for my knowledge try to understand.
You mention an exe file but where ? I don't have any with imported folder with new class in 1903 wsb in whatever folder :worried:

devillnside
June 5th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Hi Devil :) I have wsb beta 1.53 so not concerned but for my knowledge try to understand.
You mention an exe file but where ? I don't have any with imported folder with new class in 1903 wsb in whatever folder :worried:

you need version 1.5.6.3 of wsb for theming win 10 & this is what you replace:

innuendo
June 5th, 2019, 09:48 PM
you need version 1.5.6.3 of wsb for theming win 10 & this is what you replace:

oh i've already have 1.5.3 with Grim's classmaps folders for 1903.
Thanks !

By the way gratz for this theme , what is the right tabs on your desktop ? looks like a rainmeter skin

devillnside
June 6th, 2019, 12:08 AM
By the way gratz for this theme , what is the right tabs on your desktop ? looks like a rainmeter skin

it's obejectdock

innuendo
June 6th, 2019, 06:29 AM
oh yes , dumb I'am . Used to objectdock years ago but with icons displayed as thumbnails like a sidebar .

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Yo, so new question, lol.....

I'm trying to update Obsidian Sexy [changing the name as well to Obsidian Gal]] and I'm wanting to add the image I used into it as the actuall explorer bg..... where would I go about doing that?

devillnside
June 12th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Yo, so new question, lol.....

I'm trying to update Obsidian Sexy [changing the name as well to Obsidian Gal]] and I'm wanting to add the image I used into it as the actuall explorer bg..... where would I go about doing that?

Explorer background:

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background
Windows 10 Dark Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 04:14 PM
Explorer background:

Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background
Windows 10 Dark Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background

First option won't even let me add the image, it's a drop down menu apparently and second path doest seem to exist.... something doesn't seem right here.......

https://i.imgur.com/bEwwAIp.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ud1qnqS.png

I also want to change the explorer frame but the only image i have is an AeroGlass Theme Atlas.

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Ok, so I'm slowly getting there, the locations mentioned above don't seem to work in this theme [I'm guessing the theme it was based off of was built a tad too differently], but here's what I have so far:

Made a system metrics file for the fonts, and for File Explorer background I may be shit out of luck. But would like to at least see if there is a way....

Would also like to have it use the Explorer Frame from my Win7BlckSq AeroGlass Theme Atlas file since that was originally included as a side thing before I got Windows Style Builder.

---EDIT---

Actually, to hell with that. I like how it shows up when used as an aeroglass reflection image ... ok this theme is pretty much ready, lmao. Just gotta fix this wierd asf issue lmao

https://i.imgur.com/OPCV6iH.png

It's the only area that ISN'T themed lmao.

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 06:24 PM
Yeah so file explorer bg image can't be changed in this one due to the second path literally being non existant it seems so it will most likely need to remain an aeroglass reflection image until someone can help me figure out a way to implement it.

devillnside
June 12th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Yeah so file explorer bg image can't be changed in this one due to the second path literally being non existant it seems so it will most likely need to remain an aeroglass reflection image until someone can help me figure out a way to implement it.

you need to apply the import script for those classes to be added to the theme... are you importing to RS5 or to RS6 from RS5?

Mr GRiM
June 12th, 2019, 07:08 PM

Have a look at one of my themes that has a background image and either copy the properties I used in to the the folder background location or add new properties.

So in Windows 10 Dark Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background add the following properties

Add property, Type = Enum, Property = BGType, Value = ImageFile

Add property, Type = Enum, Property = SizingType, Value = Stretch, TrueSize or Tile

Add property, Type = Filename, Property = Imagefile then hit OK and you can select the image to add.

Very important, remember that images that are too large will cause a msstyles error.

There are other properties you can also add like sizing margins, glyph images and so on.

The only reason these places do not contain any properties is because they do not exist in the default aero themes, I have added these extra themeable places to the WSB ClassMaps and ClassGroups with the use of ONE and the custom UI files I have created in the shellstyle.dll, before the use of ONE we had to edit the explorerframe.dll UI files to have this option.

You should also add the image and properties to Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background for the light style.

I have also included the latest updated class maps and class groups, I have removed all the style hacks, style scripts and import scripts as they are all experimental and you will end up with a black screen if you use any of them, merge this one with the previous one I posted.

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Have a look at one of my themes that has a background image and either copy the properties I used in to the the folder background location or add new properties.

So in Windows 10 Dark Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background add the following properties

Add property, Type = Enum, Property = BGType, Value = ImageFile

Add property, Type = Enum, Property = SizingType, Value = Stretch, TrueSize or Tile

Add property, Type = Filename, Property = Imagefile then hit OK and you can select the image to add.

Very important, remember that images that are too large will cause a msstyles error.

There are other properties you can also add like sizing margins, glyph images and so on.

The only reason these places do not contain any properties is because they do not exist in the default aero themes, I have added these extra themeable places to the WSB ClassMaps and ClassGroups with the use of ONE and the custom UI files I have created in the shellstyle.dll, before the use of ONE we had to edit the explorerframe.dll UI files to have this option.

You should also add the image and properties to Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background for the light style.

I have also included the latest updated class maps and class groups, I have removed all the style hacks, style scripts and import scripts as they are all experimental and you will end up with a black screen if you use any of them, merge this one with the previous one I posted.

Thanks I'll try, but i'm not sure if it will let me the add properties option was greyed out for me in the area that was missing.

---EDIT---

This one removed both areas...... and add properties is still greyed out and unuseable.....

https://i.imgur.com/zUMrOyB.png

Mr GRiM
June 12th, 2019, 07:44 PM
Thanks I'll try, but i'm not sure if it will let me the add properties option was greyed out for me in the area that was missing.

---EDIT---

This one removed both areas...... and add properties is still greyed out and unuseable.....

https://i.imgur.com/zUMrOyB.png

Have you run the dark mode and light mode import scripts? You will need to run those for the new classes to be added, you should still see and be able to add to this location though Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Have you run the dark mode and light mode import scripts? You will need to run those for the new classes to be added, you should still see and be able to add to this location though Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView > Folder background

Hmmm don't think I have those.... tfw

--EDIT--

fml found it but it's an xml file not a stylehack file so I dunno how to apply that... It doesnt show up in the list of stylehacks to apply due to format.

Mr GRiM
June 12th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Hmmm don't think I have those.... tfw

OK well run both of these scripts, put both of them in the Windows Style Builder 10 RS6+\Data\StyleScripts folder and in WSB hold shift and click on Import Stylehack and select the dark mode script first and then the light mode, run them both and save the theme then reopen it again

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 08:07 PM
OK well run both of these scripts, put both of them in the Windows Style Builder 10 RS6+\Data\StyleScripts folder and in WSB hold shift and click on Import Stylehack and select the dark mode script first and then the light mode, run them both and save the theme then reopen it again

Ok so dark mode and light mode areas are fixed, but the entire items view area is missing from Explorer & Shell in the rs6 version you posted here. is that area still needed? Also testing keeps coming up with an error now.

Mr GRiM
June 12th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Well hopefully you made a backup before you made any changes to it, can you send me the msstyles so I can take a look.

You should find a backup of the theme before the error in C:\ProgramData\Windows Style Builder\Testing

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 08:16 PM
ok this straight up broke the theme.....

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 08:19 PM
Well hopefully you made a backup before you made any changes to it, can you send me the msstyles so I can take a look.

You should find a backup of the theme before the error in C:\ProgramData\Windows Style Builder\Testing

Yeah I have a backup. but this is really confusing me.... i even went so far as to restore the old WSB settings that worked flawlessly and then run the dark mode and light mode import scripts and again it broke something so im not sure wt heck is going on here.

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 08:47 PM
ok so after restoring the theme back to before the edits, reinstalling wsb and going through the steps again... it seems those two import scripts are breaking it.... and the new import scripts for rs6 you linked are deleting the entire Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View path

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 08:56 PM
hold the phone i think i figured out what I did wrong lmao xD if im right i swear ima feel like a moron.... all i know is this time i got the test to work lmao

Nimbi
June 12th, 2019, 09:02 PM
hold the phone i think i figured out what I did wrong lmao xD if im right i swear ima feel like a moron.... all i know is this time i got the test to work lmao

Ok so far so good.... now i know one thing... my image is breaking it... fml

---EDIT---

There appear to be some issues with the shell.. hopefully will have that fixed.... basically personaliztion panel fails to load and there's no custom start menu....

---EDIT---

Actually, you know what.... to hell with that... I'm just going to leave it as a glass reflection image, it has a much better effect that way and this is starting to become too much of a hassle... so to hell with changing that damned file explorer bg image...

Mr GRiM
June 12th, 2019, 10:50 PM
send me the msstyles and I will have a look where it could be going wrong, Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View path is not removed it is moved to Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View

Nimbi
June 13th, 2019, 02:23 AM
send me the msstyles and I will have a look where it could be going wrong, Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View path is not removed it is moved to Windows 10 Light Mode > Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View

Will do if it fails again. this time i got the port to work using those methods. just an issue of figuring out the image now... if i fail again I'll send you the current msstyle and the image and see if you can figure it out, lol.

---EDIT---

Actually here is the image, maybe this is the issue after all

Would this be a problem?

Mr GRiM
June 13th, 2019, 02:33 AM
It could be, the easiest way to find out is to try a smaller image first, if it works then try one a bit larger, keep going until the point you get another error and then you will know the size limit, it all depends on the theme and the overall amount and size of the images used.

Nimbi
June 13th, 2019, 02:37 AM
It could be, the easiest way to find out is to try a smaller image first, if it works then try one a bit larger, keep going until the point you get another error and then you will know the size limit, it all depends on the theme and the overall amount and size of the images used.

hmmmm... unfortuantely that's the only size I have of that image..... if I can't get it to work, then at least it still looks amazing as an aeroglass reflection image....

---EDIT---

Ok, so it turns out that IS the issue... unfortunately the size it requires is so small that i have to set it to stretch which makes it so distroted it simply won't work as a file explorer bg image... looks like this image is a bust... at least in that format... i may have to redo it as something in the details pane possibly... or maybe postion it to the top right.

Nimbi
July 30th, 2019, 09:09 AM
Yo, so this moron here [me] forgot to fix a certain image in the LoL Game VS port.....

https://i.imgur.com/ZGWJt0N.jpg

That left panel is missing the image still lmao... I have the RS2-RS4 version open in WSB and am looking for that image, but have NO IDEA where to look. Anyone able to tell me where it is so I can export the image for the newer versions?

Also ignore that desktop context menu for now. didn't intend to screenshot that, lol.

Donkuz
July 30th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Yo, so this moron here [me] forgot to fix a certain image in the LoL Game VS port.....

That left panel is missing the image still lmao... I have the RS2-RS4 version open in WSB and am looking for that image, but have NO IDEA where to look. Anyone able to tell me where it is so I can export the image for the newer versions?

Also ignore that desktop context menu for now. didn't intend to screenshot that, lol.Hi Nimbi, you should be able to find it here, if no Image is there you may have to add it in.

Nimbi
July 30th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Hi Nimbi, you should be able to find it here, if no Image is there you may have to add it in.

Awesome ty

Nimbi
July 30th, 2019, 02:08 PM
ok so the fix worked on the first test... but upon loading it through outside wsb it didnt do a thing. and now even the tests in wsb arent working. im just getting errors in the msstyles now... im starting to think this was why i didnt get this shit fixed.....

Nimbi
July 30th, 2019, 02:11 PM
Here's the image that needs adding and the msstyles if anyone wants to take a wack at it.

Donkuz
July 30th, 2019, 02:35 PM
ok so the fix worked on the first test... but upon loading it through outside wsb it didnt do a thing. and now even the tests in wsb arent working. im just getting errors in the msstyles now... im starting to think this was why i didnt get this shit fixed.....What did you do? Did you try putting a panel in CP? If the Dimensions are to Big it wont load them. Did you try to Undo the last change in the Console? Have you got a backup? If so locate Aves App in the Reg Editor and Delete the Theme file like in my screenshot and then reinstall WSB and locate your theme again and you should be able to start again Mate.
I Hope this Helps Mate

Erin
July 30th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Here's the image that needs adding and the msstyles if anyone wants to take a wack at it.

try to reduce the image and sizing margins

SizingType Tile

Sizing Margins 43, 42, 35, 35

I'm afraid that this theme is a headache for porting :crying:

Erin
July 30th, 2019, 06:14 PM

Also ignore that desktop context menu for now. didn't intend to screenshot that, lol.

Did you update the shell.dll?

Mr GRiM
July 30th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Fixed it for you, it loaded for me anyway but I found a few bugs and stuff that needed fixing, I went with a plain gradient instead of those images as well as it looks no different.

Nimbi
July 31st, 2019, 04:41 AM
Fixed it for you, it loaded for me anyway but I found a few bugs and stuff that needed fixing, I went with a plain gradient instead of those images as well as it looks no different.

Thank you sooo much! That thing was really getting on my nerves, lol.