Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    434 Thread(s)

Sex:

Firefox 4.0 about config tweaks

HOW TO APPLY?

METHOD 1:

1. Make sure Firefox is not running. Now type following in RUN or startmenu search box and press Enter:

%appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles\

2. Now you'll see a folder xxxxxxxx.default. Open it.

3. Look for a file "prefs.js". Right-click on it and select "Edit" option.

4. Copy and paste the tweaks mentioned in "ULTIMATE COLLECTION OF TWEAKS" part at the end of the file.

5. Save the file and restart your browser.

METHOD 2:

1. Open Firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It’ll confirm, click on I’ll be careful, I promise! button.

2. Now type the preference's name (mentioned in double-quotes in "ULTIMATE COLLECTION OF TWEAKS" part) in the Filter box, it'll show the key in results.

3. Set its value as mentioned by double-clicking on it.

READ BEFORE APPLYING:

Almost all preferences are boolean and contain value of True/False or 0/1. If you want to change the functionality or want to reset them to default, simply change true to false or 0 to 1 and vice versa.

WHAT THESE PREFERENCES DO?

Following is a small description of each preference respectively:

Enables Internet Explorer look-like Quick Tabs feature

Attachment 42206
    1. Open firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It’ll confirm, click on I’ll be careful, I promise! button.

2. Now type alltabs in the Filter box and look for following boolean key:

browser.allTabs.previews

3. The entry "browser.allTabs.previews" would be set to false. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to true.

Attachment 42207

4. That's it. Now you can access the new "All Tabs Previews" feature by clicking on small square icon given at the end of Tab Bar.

Enables new ctrl+tab preview thumbnails list

1. Open firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It’ll confirm, click on I’ll be careful, I promise! button.

2. Now type ctrl in the Filter box and look for following boolean key:

browser.ctrlTab.previews

3. The entry "browser.ctrlTab.previews" would be set to false. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to true.

Attachment 42208

4. That's it. Now Firefox will start showing the new tab preview thumbnails list as soon as you press "Ctrl+Tab" keys.

Disables automatic virus scanning in built-in download manager

2. Now type scanwhendone in the Filter box. It'll show a single entry "browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone" in the results window.

3. Either double-click on this entry or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to "False".

Attachment 42209

Disables animation while going full screen

1. Open Firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It’ll confirm, click on I’ll be careful, I promise! button.

2. Now type animate in the Filter box and look for following integer key:

browser.fullscreen.animateUp

3. The entry "browser.fullscreen.animateUp" would be set to 1. Double-click on it and change its value to 0

4. Now whenever you go into full screen mode, you'll not see the animation.

Disables animation in Tab groups (Panorama)

2. Now type animate in the Filter box and look for following boolean key:

browser.panorama.animate_zoom

3. The entry "browser.panorama.animate_zoom" would be set to true. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to false.

4. Now whenever you open Tabs Group, you'll not see any animation and it'll load a bit faster.

Enables cool animation in Preferences/Options window

browser.preferences.animateFadeIn

3. The entry "browser.preferences.animateFadeIn" would be set to false. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to true.

4. Now select "Tools -> Options" and navigate through various tabs and you'll see the new animation while changing to a tab.

The window length will increase/decrease according to the number of options available in the current tab.

Brings back Save tabs and quit feature

2. Now type quitwarning in the Filter box, it'll show following boolean key:

browser.showQuitWarning

3. The entry "browser.showQuitWarning" would be set to false. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select toggle. It'll set its value to true.

4. Now whenever you close multiple tabs, Firefox will ask you to save the tabs and quit.

Disables animation while opening new tab

browser.tabs.animate

3. The entry "browser.tabs.animate" would be set to true. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to false.

4. Now whenever you open a new tab, you'll not see the new animation.

Disables automatic main window closing when you close last tab

2. Now type lasttab in the Filter box, it'll show following boolean key:

browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab

3. The entry "browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab" would be set to true. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select toggle. It'll set its value to false.

4. Now whenever you close the last tab, Firefox main window will not close.

Disables open new tab after current tab feature

2. Now type related in the Filter box and look for following boolean key:

browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent

3. The entry "browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent" would be set to true. Double-click on it or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to false.
    Attachment 42210

Disables automatic text selection upon single clicking in addressbar

2. Now type SelectsAll in the Filter box. It’ll show 2 entries:

browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll
    browser.urlbar.doubleClickSelectsAll

"clickSelectsAll" would be set to true and "doubleClickSelectsAll" would be set to false.

3. Now to disable the auto-select feature, either double-click on "clickSelectsAll" or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to false.

You can set Firefox to select the whole text in the addressbar by double-clicking in it. To do so, either double-click on "doubleClickSelectsAll" or right-click on it and select "Toggle". It'll set its value to true.

Attachment 42212

4. That's it. Now Firefox will no longer select the whole text when you click in the addressbar but if you double-click, it'll select the whole text for you.

Enables built-in spell checker to work in text boxes and web forms

If you are a Firefox user, you must have noticed that its in-line Spell Checker doesnt work in forms, text boxes, rich text editors, etc. You need to manually right-click in the box and enable "Spell check this field" option to check the spelling.

Here is a solution for this annoying problem:

1. Type about:config in Firefox addressbar and press Enter.

2. Now type layout.spell in Filter box.

3. You'll see layout.spellcheckDefault in result.

4. Double-click on it and change its value to 2

5. Thats it. Now Firefox will check every textbox, etc in webpages.

ULTIMATE COLLECTION OF TWEAKS:

Code:
      user_pref("browser.allTabs.previews", true);
        user_pref("browser.ctrlTab.previews", true);
        user_pref("browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone", false);
        user_pref("browser.fullscreen.autohide", false);
        user_pref("browser.fullscreen.animateUp", 0);
        user_pref("browser.panorama.animate_zoom", false);
        user_pref("browser.preferences.animateFadeIn", true);
        user_pref("browser.showQuitWarning", true);
        user_pref("browser.tabs.animate", false);
        user_pref("browser.tabs.closeWindowWithLastTab", false);
        user_pref("browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent", false);
        user_pref("browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll", false);
        user_pref("browser.urlbar.doubleClickSelectsAll", true);
        user_pref("layout.spellcheckDefault", 2);
    Last edited by Big V; August 12th, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Thread Information