Thread: How To Correctly Setup Your Ssd And Get The Advertised Read And Write Speed

Threaded View

Skilled

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

How To Correctly Setup Your Ssd And Get The Advertised Read And Write Speed

Ok guys today I am going to show you how to properly setup your SSD and get to the advertised read and write speed of your SSD. I recently purchased and two OCZ agility 3 hard drives and took them back due to them not getting even close to the correct read and write speeds. I ended up getting a Crucial M4 but was still not getting the proper speeds so I did some searching and finally figured it out on my own with different information on the net and took the time to put together this tutorial to help out anyone that wants to have lightning fast speeds with their SSD's.

The first thing you are going to have to do is open up "regedit" by going to the start menu and typing regedit and hit enter. If you have user account control turned on you are going to need to right click and run as administrator.

If you do not like messing with your registry then go here and MS has a file you can download which will do it for you:
    Code:
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

In Registry Editor click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services and scroll all the way down to the folder called "msahci" and then right click on the icon called "start" in the right hand pane and choose modify.

Here we are going to set the Value data to "0" and click ok like the picture below:

Next thing you need to do is reboot your computer and enter the bios and enable "AHCI"

Upon first boot in Windows 7 it will load AHCI drivers for each present drive and then you will need to reboot once more.

After that you will be getting the proper "Read and Write" speeds for you new shiny SSD.

Please see the below to screenshots and check out the 232 point difference in the benchmark.

Also please note that each time you see red as in the picture below that says "pciide - BAD" in anyones benchmark results it means that they have not properly setup their SSD. As you can see by the bottom benchmark it is now stating "msahci - OK" and it is green for good reason.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by odinlives; August 21st, 2011 at 04:02 AM.

Thread Information