I have sucessfully downloaded visual styles and installed theme, but I want to make my own from scratch.

I have modified someone elses style (a little), so I kind of know what to do.. errr

But now I really want to get into it, and create my own theme.

My first goal was to simply remove the user account picture on the start menu and resize the place listings (remove the space left); I have successfully done this!! (I cant post links to show you )

Problem is, how can I install it?
If I restart my computer, or switch themes and switch back to that theme (pictured) then it changes to a classic windows theme and all my minor modifications are gone.

I am using Win7 Style Builder, and exported 'all' to a StyleHack file, which creates a .msstyles file.

How do I create a theme that I can install with lets say Theme Manager? I want to be able to see the theme in my Control Panels theme manager and choice it, just as if I downloaded the custom Visual Style from someone else.

What's the difference between a .msstyles file and a .theme file?... yeah, I'm a noob

I'm trying to figure this out, there aren't any good tutorials on how to make a theme from the Aero theme (not simply editing someoens theme). Eventually I want to move on to modifying other areas, but I can't even create the files to install it.. not sure if that makes since.