Hybrid View

The Chief

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    71 Thread(s)

Sex:

strange crash

I have some strange crash going on on my laptop.
    it first happend 4 days ago and it crashed since then every day at least ones, today it has not crashed yet*but I am using linux al the time*
    so basically what happens is that the sound start playing extreamly slow(think about factor 1000 slowed) and the rest just freezes up.
    Then I have no choise but to hard reset it by keeping the power buton presed.
    On my linux system I am runing now it also makes a strange sound sometimes but linux does not freeze up.*my linux is ubuntu 12.10*
    the issues start occuring after some time 2 hours and more I would say.
    My best guess would be that it must be some hardware isseu and can not be software.
    but I have done a scan on my hard drive 1 week ago no errors at all and linux self test does also not give a error. so I think we can say that it can't be my hard drive.
    I have check my ram with memtest86+ and also 0 errors on that one.
    Since I do not see any artifects on the screen I don't think it can be my vram.
    since the crashes do not necerely occur during heavy load my cpu is also unlikely.
    which leaves a few things:
    My sounds card, since the strange sound it does not seeme unlikely that it is that one.
    (does a sound card get hot cause it only hapens after some time so it would not be unlikely that heat is building up somewhere, but my cpu, ram, gpu get at max temp in like 20min so it has to be slow heating or how you want to name it)
    Some random component on the motherboard, but then it is most likely a capacitor and it that case it would only have isseus with booting.
    my wifi card, verry strange but the problems start occuring at the same time as we got a new router and the windows log last error is something with wifi card.
    (so the big question is here is it posible for a router to mess up a wifi card which on his turn can cause a crash, while not letting any other comp crash)
    other sugestions are welcome.

and if you want more info just ask
    chief always in for helping

A Supreme God

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    298 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Myself I would be very doubtful that it would be caused by getting a new router.
    With it being a laptop you can't just crack it open very easily to check thing out, Plus their is warranty issues also with opening the case if it's still under warranty.
    My best guess would be a heat issue with the motherboard components breaking down after the test you have already ran.
    It very common for a laptop to suffer heat issue because of design issues of limited case space and ventilation problems with dirt accumulating and plugging airflow off. Most people don't realize how much crud get sucked in the body of a laptop threw the fan, it also one of reason manufactures have started started renaming them notebooks instead of laptops. When you use the machine as a laptop and place it in your lap the fan work like a mini sweeper and sucks all the lint from your clothes directly into the machine, the next thing you know when you crack it open it looks like the inside of your clothes dryer vent.
    If your laptop is already out of warranty I would disassemble the lower cover and do a through cleaning of the components.
    Sadly if it is a heat issue you might have already suffered non-repairable damage with it already suffering crashes.
    Please Post In English Only
    Don't forget to leave Comments and Rep to the artist if you like or use their artwork.
    Thanks VC Staff

Deviantdon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    349 Thread(s)

Sex:
    i must say that even tho what Big V is saying is and can be the cause i would not jump on that right away. reason being that i have a few friends plus my wife and all there lap tops have been doing the same thing for about the last few days,and because im there computer guy the phone just keeps ringing. crashing for no reason at all,i have looked at about 12 in the last 2 days and have found no reason for the crashing for no reason. the weird thing is mine is a desktop and none of my other friends have reported problems with there desk top computers only laptops and some tablets.. i have yet to find any thing that should or could be causing the problem on any of them. my wife has got the blue screen of death 3 times in the last 2 days .

A Supreme God

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    298 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Ok don with that info that i was not aware of my next thing I would be looking at is the windows update logs, What recent updates have been installed? What got installed about the time they noticed the issues. What type of gpu is being used? ATI or Nvidia? AMD or Intel based units? What the common item they all have in common besides being a laptop?
    Please Post In English Only
    Don't forget to leave Comments and Rep to the artist if you like or use their artwork.
    Thanks VC Staff

Deviantdon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    349 Thread(s)

Sex:
    so you think it still could be hardware related? most of my friends and the wife are all amd and Nvidia machines. i cannot speak for some of them but as far as the wifes go the last update was just for windows security and was about 3 weeks ago.but the crashing on all didnt start till about 3 to 4 days ago and nothing before hand.as far as our machines i keep them clean and up to date on everything.
    so im not sure i would agree with it being caused be an update.

The Sci-Fighter

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    434 Thread(s)

Sex:
    It's not going to be windows updates that were the prob anyways guys he said he is using linux not windows there so he won't be having any dreaded microsoft crashes

Have you ever looked into the possibility that its a virus at all I know they are not wide spread like microsoft ones but linux machines can still get them little link about that here https://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-viruses/

I do remember a similar problem with a desktop computer in the past the problem ended up being caused by an overheating on board gfx chipset the fix was simple adding a fan to it but not sure how u could go about that with a labtop, I doubt much would be your sound card as basicaly if that was either overheating and or stop working u would just lose sound rather then be having the whole labtop shutdown on you.

another question would be does the same thing happen when you run on the battery and if you are plugged into the wall possible the battery has a fault in it causing the shutdowns something else for you to check.

Also check your drivers as well I would look at the gfx driver especially considering the problem I bet you a lot that the cause ends up being a driver problem with the machine had u reciently updated any drivers or check to see if you are on the newest ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information