Thread: Win8.1 Start button removal

VC Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)

Sex:

Win8.1 Start button removal

Hey, I have a friend who wants to remove the start button from Win8.1 as she has gotten used to how Win8 feels and sees the button as pointless. Only thing we found was a program that has to always be running in the background to remove it. Does anyone know how to do this permanently without constantly running an extra piece of software?

Co-Admin♀ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysp656 View Post
    Hey, I have a friend who wants to remove the start button from Win8.1 as she has gotten used to how Win8 feels and sees the button as pointless. Only thing we found was a program that has to always be running in the background to remove it. Does anyone know how to do this permanently without constantly running an extra piece of software?

How to remove the Start button in Windows 8.1

Microsoft has released Windows 8.1 to MSDN and Technet subscribers, and I decided to give a try to this shiny new OS from Redmond. In a nutshell: Windows 8.1 improves the Windows 8 operating system on the tablet side, but I did not find significant changes on the "Desktop" side.
    After the release of Windows 8.1, I found its Start button useless. Seriously, there are no issues for me if that button is not shown on the taskbar. Sure, I miss the good, old Start menu. The Start screen still cannot replace that menu for me, there is no doubt about that... Just one button can't restore the classic UX. So I decided to restore the behavior of Windows 8, with blackjack and hookers, and free some taskbar space by removing the Start button.

I have created StartIsGone for Windows 8.1 - the application which allows you to remove the Start Button in Windows 8.1 and reclaim the space on the taskbar. It is fully native lightweight zero-privileges portable program. The user interface of this program is just an icon in the system tray and the context menu.
    Run the app, and the Start button will be gone. Tick "Run at startup" and your Start button will be removed every time your Desktop shows.

VC Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Thank you for replying but is there any other known way to do this? That program has to run at startup to work and my friend would prefer not having to use something like that.

Co-Admin♀ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Thank you for replying but is there any other known way to do this? That program has to run at startup to work and my friend would prefer not having to use something like that.

https://www.tordex.com/startkiller/index.html

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:

VC Ambassador

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    280 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Pointless ..... I agree, there is a lot of pointlessness that revolves around the OS.
    Seriously though, IMO if you are using a mouse and do not have touch screen it is a better way of accessing the Start page than the charm bar, that is just me though.

https://darkknight2264.deviantart.com/

I believe in karma which means I can say all the bad things I want to you and just assume that you deserve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information