Pro Designer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    260 Thread(s)

Sex:

need help with hardware upgrade

-----------------------------------------------

anybody know what this means? RAM should read 16gb. i've tried swapping slots all day, i've tried using them one by one even, they all work. frankly i'm ready to snap these things in half but i thought i'd ask around first. do you guys know what i could do to correct it? thanks.

* - no hurry. im tired of working on it. ima leave it this way for now. thanks for any help you guys could give me on the issue.
    Attachment 68780
    Last edited by MOST_WASTED; October 1st, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    29 Thread(s)

Sex:
    From everything you've said above, I would say reinstall windows time me thinks ...

If you don't want to do that, I would suggest at least trying to narrow down the problem via serices - cmd -> msconfig and go to services tab and tick "Hide all Microsoft services" and see whats left over in the list.

Then untick those services one at a time, reboot, plug in devices and see if you get a BSOD and continue the process until you do, or don't, to rule out anything installed in your system that may be causing conflicts resulting in a BSOD.

It can be a long drawn out process, and sometimes just easier to do a fresh install of winodws. But you run the risk of a fresh install going fubar when reinstalling the offending program again too - don't ya just love trouble shooting ...

This why it is essential that you BACK UP your system. Personally I use Macrium Reflect, you can download their free version here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    I have 3 backup images stored for just such emergencies - 1. A clean install image. 2. A modded image. 3. A hacked image.

The clean image is self explainatory, the modded image is my system modded/themed and the hacked image is a bunch of windows regedit scripts and hacks that have taken much of windows 8 control away from itself and given it back to me whre I feel it belongs in the first place - take that Microsoft!

Either way it gives me some confidence that if one or more of my hack attempts fails or I completely screw things up, I can revert back to an image and not have the nightmare of losing data and reinstalling windows. It really is one of the smartest things you can do for yourself.

as for the 600W PSU - yes it could handle another stick of RAM in your current set up. That's not to say your PSU isn't faulty, you can test the rails if you know how - look it up online ...

My guess, there's a software conflict that's causing your BSOD to happen when you plug a device in.

Pro Designer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    260 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by idle View Post
    From everything you've said above, I would say reinstall windows time me thinks ...

If you don't want to do that, I would suggest at least trying to narrow down the problem via serices - cmd -> msconfig and go to services tab and tick "Hide all Microsoft services" and see whats left over in the list.

Then untick those services one at a time, reboot, plug in devices and see if you get a BSOD and continue the process until you do, or don't, to rule out anything installed in your system that may be causing conflicts resulting in a BSOD.

It can be a long drawn out process, and sometimes just easier to do a fresh install of winodws. But you run the risk of a fresh install going fubar when reinstalling the offending program again too - don't ya just love trouble shooting ...

This why it is essential that you BACK UP your system. Personally I use Macrium Reflect, you can download their free version here: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
    I have 3 backup images stored for just such emergencies - 1. A clean install image. 2. A modded image. 3. A hacked image.

The clean image is self explainatory, the modded image is my system modded/themed and the hacked image is a bunch of windows regedit scripts and hacks that have taken much of windows 8 control away from itself and given it back to me whre I feel it belongs in the first place - take that Microsoft!

Either way it gives me some confidence that if one or more of my hack attempts fails or I completely screw things up, I can revert back to an image and not have the nightmare of losing data and reinstalling windows. It really is one of the smartest things you can do for yourself.

as for the 600W PSU - yes it could handle another stick of RAM in your current set up. That's not to say your PSU isn't faulty, you can test the rails if you know how - look it up online ...

My guess, there's a software conflict that's causing your BSOD to happen when you plug a device in.
    hey idle i appreciate the reply. im kinda glad nobody has replied with a "be safe and get a PSU." as for the BSOD i think it was the different phones, we had androids and my friends had a blackberry, iphone and one other kind, i wouldnt doubt that it was a conflict. i dint happen again after that though. the 2nd bsod happened days later. and that was the last one so i think im okay. thank you for the tip though, its good know it

* is there a way to tell when i need to upgrade the PSU? like a software PSU meter or something that would tell how much of the 600W my rig is consuming in realtime? i will google it but if anyone knows any software like that please post it, no link necessarry just the name of it will be fine. thank you very much
    Last edited by MOST_WASTED; September 28th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Banned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    451 Thread(s)

Sex:
    MOST_WASTED i agree 100% with what idle said. as for your psu 600 watts should be plenty, evrn though amd's do eat more power than intel cpu's.

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    29 Thread(s)

Sex:
    There are options to testing your PSU's usage. Please remember that no matter what you use to test your PSU's usage, the most important factor when considering power supplies is your rails amperage, ie. 12v rail, 5v rail & 3v rail.

These are both equally good sites for what you need.

https://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

https://psucalc.info/

As for actual software for download you can try this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/llztjtjyw...V2%5D.exe?dl=1

Administrator

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    837 Thread(s)

Sex:
    The new GTX980 and 970 should have no problems with a 600 Watt PSU, $550 for a GTX980 and i think it was about 200 less for the 970, both amazing cards on performance and power from benchmarks so far.

If your going to go for a new internal drive I would get a 1TB SSD not a HDD, they are coming down in price a fair bit now, the 1TB Samsung 840 evo is pretty good value for $499 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147251 although I have seen them for less, or if you are looking for a real performer with a extended life span and 10 year warranty then grab a Samsung 850 Pro, $380 for a 512GB https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147361
    Last edited by Mr GRiM; September 28th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

Please do not PM me to ask for support - please use the relevant thread or forum.
    Please Post in English or at least include English Translations

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information