Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 10130

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemhamforash View Post
    I'm not going to be using Windows 10, but I've been keeping tabs on it. See if Sergey at Winaero's article fixes the start menu bug you're experiencing in Windows 10 build 10130: https://winaero.com/blog/fix-start-me...0-build-10130/
    Tried it, and it had no effect at all. However, I am one lucky sucker. I found a fix that actually works, . Here it is.

Disable New Xaml Start Menu and Enable Previous Start Menu

Microsoft has replaced previous Windows 10 Start Menu with a new one in the latest Windows 10 build 9926 which is a little bit buggy and can't be resized. Luckily, the old Start Menu still exists in the OS. Interested people can enable the old resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 using following method:

1. In Registry Editor, go to following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

2. In right-side pane create a new DWORD EnableXamlStartMenu and leave its value to 0

3. Restart, log off or restart Explorer to take effect and enjoy the old Start Menu in Windows 10.
    This tweak will also enable previous Start Screen and you'll also be able to switch between Start Menu and Start Screen again using Taskbar Properties.

To restore the new Start Menu, delete the new DWORD EnableXamlStartMenu.

This method worked perfectly, .

-EDIT-

Scratch that, it worked for a bit then it stopped working. Looks like I may have to keep searching for a fix.
    Last edited by Nimbi; June 23rd, 2015 at 02:01 PM.

'The world is but a canvas to our imagination" - Henry David Thoreau

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    I'm not sure what did it, but the start menu is working perfectly now, . I clicked on it to see if it would open and it did. Since doing so it has been working flawlessly.

-EDIT-

Disabled blur in aero glass via regedit, and start menu stopped opening again, . apparently it has a bug that temporarily breaks the start menu when you attempt to customize it, .
    Last edited by Nimbi; June 23rd, 2015 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    167 Thread(s)

Sex:
    That's good you fixed it. Apparently the issue is occurant accross a variety of the builds, so it's possible there isn't just one simple solution to fix the start menu for everyone. I read yesterday that if you want to upgrade to the RTM of Windows 10 from the technical preview, you will have to continue being a windows insider and receive builds from the "fast" or "slow" ring. So, you'll have to keep "testing" for them. The other route would be to have Win 10 consume your Win 8.xx license.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemhamforash View Post
    That's good you fixed it. Apparently the issue is occurant accross a variety of the builds, so it's possible there isn't just one simple solution to fix the start menu for everyone. I read yesterday that if you want to upgrade to the RTM of Windows 10 from the technical preview, you will have to continue being a windows insider and receive builds from the "fast" or "slow" ring. So, you'll have to keep "testing" for them. The other route would be to have Win 10 consume your Win 8.xx license.
    Ya, I somehow got lucky and managed to get Windows 8.1 back via HP Recovery Managers Factory Default reset thing. So i'm waiting for the official windows 10 to be released before upgrading to it again, .

VC Ambassador

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    280 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by YourNumbr1Fan View Post
    Aluminum foil, I like that. Never tire of that one.....But I ain't mad. I know that it's difficult to accept the uncomfortable, easier to just go along with the hive.

FYI, I don't need to be told that there are other ways that the powers-that-be have to snoop on us. I'm pretty tech-savvy, very much so actually. In fact, Virtual Customs isn't my only online hangout. I'm a long-time member of some very solid anti-snooping and political organizations. I strive to keep my online activities and files on my computer as private as possible.....Not because I'm doing anything wrong, or have some bad things to hide, but for the same reason that I don't want to leave my curtains open and doors unlocked. The desire for privacy isn't something to be ashamed of, my complacent friend. You don't have to be a aluminum hat person to know that many things in the world of technology are just not as benevolent as are advertized. You just might find that out the hard way one day. Like I said, I've ran 10...a few times. Last time was build 10135, the one that comes after the one you're running. No matter what you say, I know better; it's chock-full of spyware. I'm savvy enough to adjust/disable much of it, but I'm under no delusions about the risks. Computers and other tech can be fun-and-games to an extent.....but SERIOUS BUSINESS beyond that, much more so than you seem to realize. Laughing and calling people who warn others about it 'aluminum hat' people is about as intelligent as calling a lifeguard an aluminum hat person because he tells you there are sharks nearby in the water you're splashing about in. I'm not trying to offend you or talk down to you, bro. But THINK before you dismiss someone as a conspiracy-theorist nutball. What were theories a few years ago that people laughed about are hard-core factual reality today, and each day more evil crap is coming out into the open. Calling someone a tinfoil hat person is code for "nothing to see here, move along"....which is total b.s.

Attachment 70378

The sheeple chant: "GIVE ME CONVENIENCE OR GIVE ME DEATH! GIVE ME CONVENIENCE OR GIVE ME DEATH! GIVE ME CONVENIENCE OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!"

Attachment 70376
    Take a pill ......... really

If I thought you were a conspiracy theorist aluminum hat wearing nutball I would just outright say it.

First, I was only joking around with you, I know how you are about things as such because I have seen previous posts by yourself not only here but other place too ..... I was only joking.

Second, I am totally aware of the evils that exist today and don't need to be made aware of them and yes one must do what they feel they need to do to protect themselves, I use Windows and all my systems are secure but the least of my worries is Microsoft, Windows or Cortana. Your worst evils exist outside the realm of the internet, like our current administration. Bill Gates and Microsoft are like #20 on my list of evils, Barack Obama is #1.
    Last edited by Dark Knight; June 23rd, 2015 at 11:13 PM.

https://darkknight2264.deviantart.com/

I believe in karma which means I can say all the bad things I want to you and just assume that you deserve it.

Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Take a pill ......... really

If I thought you were a conspiracy theorist aluminum hat wearing nutball I would just outright say it.

First, I was only joking around with you, I know how you are about things as such because I have seen previous posts by yourself not only here but other place too ..... I was only joking.

Second, I am totally aware of the evils that exist today and don't need to be made aware of them and yes one must do what they feel they need to do to protect themselves, I use Windows and all my systems are secure but the least of my worries is Microsoft, Windows or Cortana. Your worst evils exist outside the realm of the internet, like our current administration. Bill Gates and Microsoft are like #20 on my list of evils, Barack Obama is #1.
    I don't need to take a pill---I'd rather take a toke. Pills are for sissies, real men like to smoke! And we wear mustaches.
    I told you, I ain't mad. I was just speaking my mind, just like you. And I can do that, so if YOU get mad that's on you! Every thing is cool with me.... I gotta jet; just saw your quote-comment so figured I'd respond. Later, gator. Attachment 70386 (haha, just joking!)

PS: Yep, Obama sucks. So does Congress and the Senate. TPP anyone?

Attachment 70387
    Last edited by YourNumbr1Fan; June 24th, 2015 at 08:14 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information