Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 10 GNU/Linux Distributions Worth Checking Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    167 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    for some reason i thought you did more themes for linux. as for mate cinnamon i'm loving it. been playing with linux on and off since at least 2000 just waiting for it to be like it is now. truly can't wait to see what the next 5 years will mean for it. the os drive my god currently 23 gigs used where to be at this point in win 10 would be a minimum of 50, and more like 60. while neon was nice dolphin left a lot to be desired as a file explorer. another big thing with cinnamon at least i have a actual computer icon that the default view is the drives, just need to figure out how to get that on the panel.
    Themes are great on Linux, however it's complicated going between DE's and versions of DE's. For example gtk2 themes do not work on gtk3. Gtk3 was a bit of a departure from the ability to use images in themes to having basically just a text file and being color based. I did not find the need to put that much effort and know-how into a theme when I was already happy with the themes I was using. My favorite themes are probably the Arc themes. I never felt the desire to switch my theme much at the end of my time using Linux.

True, 10 years ago I didn't know what Linux was but yes I understand what you mean about how far its come. In the early years it was mostly only for hackers, nowadays anyone with the hardware can easily install and use one of the popular distros. It's generally a user friendly experience.

I never quite took to cinnamon as it's kind of a gnome3-based desktop. I prefer gnome 2 (MATE).

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    yea i get that about gnome2 vs 3 cause the last time i dabbled i had 3 software managers right out of the gat and i i know more preiinstalled software. microsoft is lucky that it wasn't what it is now 20+ years back. as for themes and icon yea i'm fairly happy with my current.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information