Hybrid View

Mascot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sex:

Question A Website I Found...

I wasn't sure where to put this, or even exactly what I'm asking, so I put this in off-topic discussion.

I guess I'm in the right place when I want to ask if there's anyone out there still modding Windows 7.

I've been searching for 7tsp packs lately and stumbled on a website skinpacks.com. I was wondering before I go ahead and install a bunch of theme packs willy nilly if anyone else has used any skin packs from their site before? It seems rather odd that they host a lot of theme packs that I think I've seen on DeviantArt and other various sites.

I get redirected / 'new tabbed' about 4 times before reaching the download page and the download page looks like an old style file listing type of download section.

The skin packs themselves come in file.sfx.exe format. One that I tested registered as Trojan and other various malware in 3 virus scanners when sent through VirusTotal.

They look like some really nice packs to have, but I was just wondering about the validity of the site and the files they have available. It also reports as an insecure connection in my address bar.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading!

VC Ambassador

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    280 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin2190 View Post
    The skin packs themselves come in file.sfx.exe format.
    I'm probably going to catch some flack for this but, ummm ....... no

Personally, any theme you find there you will find here. Learn how to install themes manually, it's the best way to install them. Any sites that "package" themes in an .exe file I would not trust because it would be all to easy to slip something nasty into the .exe file.

Now I know the owner of skinpacks frequents here, but it is what it is. Besides you shouldn't have to wade through muck just to get to the download.

https://darkknight2264.deviantart.com/

I believe in karma which means I can say all the bad things I want to you and just assume that you deserve it.

Mascot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sex:
    That's the same thing I was thinking. I've been seeing a lot of theme/scam sites in my searches lately. Strange.

There are a lot of sites lately that don't provide any sort of background on it's existence. I try to shy away from places like that and sketchy exe's.

Now I want to know what happened to WinEmpyrean. Spent the whole day searching for that particular site and now it's gone.

Banned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    451 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    I'm probably going to catch some flack for this but, ummm ....... no

Personally, any theme you find there you will find here. Learn how to install themes manually, it's the best way to install them. Any sites that "package" themes in an .exe file I would not trust because it would be all to easy to slip something nasty into the .exe file.

Now I know the owner of skinpacks frequents here, but it is what it is. Besides you shouldn't have to wade through muck just to get to the download.
    i don't know why you would get any flack from anyone here cause we all agree it's better to patch and tweek your system manually for custom themes. i think i speak for every staff member her that the skinpack webiste is very questionable. now to be fair i did download a ubuntu skin pack from there to install the icons in vm to see if it was safe, cause no one here or anywhere could find the icon pack for me. now when it launches and you click through there are a couple of offers but just ignore them, cause you have to expressly click on them to get what's offered. i installed the icons without any issue.

VC Ambassador

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    280 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nude Dude View Post
    i don't know why you would get any flack from anyone here cause we all agree it's better to patch and tweek your system manually for custom themes. i think i speak for every staff member her that the skinpack webiste is very questionable. now to be fair i did download a ubuntu skin pack from there to install the icons in vm to see if it was safe, cause no one here or anywhere could find the icon pack for me. now when it launches and you click through there are a couple of offers but just ignore them, cause you have to expressly click on them to get what's offered. i installed the icons without any issue.
    I thought I would catch flack because I know the owner of skinpacks frequents VC, I think what he / she does is take themes from here, DA and other sites and repackages them into .exe files, which IMO is not right, although they do give credit to the original artists, which is the least they can do, but I don't think it's right that they mess with the original file format.

Safe? well I don't think it's safe at all, here is what I get when I click on any download link on the site ..........

Take it for what it's worth, it may be Windows smart screen / defender being over cautious but I don't think it's safe at all, call me paranoid but when I run into a red screen I'm not touching anything on the site with a twenty foot stick.
    Last edited by Dark Knight; June 1st, 2016 at 02:00 PM.

https://darkknight2264.deviantart.com/

I believe in karma which means I can say all the bad things I want to you and just assume that you deserve it.

Banned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    451 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Dark Knight there really is no need for smartscreen it a piece of shit. have NEVER used it. currently chrome with adblock plus, tab cookies. might be talking about two different sites though.

EDIT:

just took a good look at your inage and same site, so must be smartscreen being over protective.
    Last edited by 2635599; June 1st, 2016 at 02:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information