Pro Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Sex:

CyberPowerPC PCU Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbi View Post
    CyberPowerPC brand is the biggest scam I've ever fallen for. I hate the PCU bug they built into that thing to make their lockdowns work.
    Please explain PCU bug, and lockdown. I have never heard of this brand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by dhjohns View Post
    Please explain PCU bug, and lockdown. I have never heard of this brand.
    Long story short, CyberPowerPC locks down a lot of things in their systems. And seeing as every system they make suffers from a severe irreparable PCU bug, then it's safe to assume, the lockdowns are either the cause, or the reason.

One of the first lockdowns i came across was the recovery disc, you cant make recovery media for a CyberPowerPC brand system since it's locked down to the official CyberPowerPC recovery disc. That made me have to go buy an external drive since they don't include an internal disc drive in their systems. So more money sent.

Another lockdown i noticed, is that many of the systems DLLs are digitaly signed with custom CyberPowerPC signatures, which means they're not the official MS versions [one of those was the explorerframe.dll, thus why the custom one by gsw broke shell32 for me].

After having to deal with that I decided I didn't even want to know how many other lockdowns it has, since CyberPowerPC apparently has a reputation for this crap.

The lack of a monitor was what jacked the price into the 14k range, but that's to be expected, tbh. Either way, this thing is a full on Gaming build but it has a shitty stock GPU fan and even though that can be dealt with by overclocking it, the PCU bug stacks on top of that problem and causes the exact same issue that you would get from the system overheating. The system has a defense for overheating that shuts it off. It has that exact same defense for the friggin' built-in PCU bug. And naturally, you can't disable it.

Now this thing has gotten so bad, it shuts off after only a few minutes of running it, so I can't even run it at all anymore, and I've literally only had it since November. Apparently this is CyberPowerPC's scam with prebuilt systems. And it's got me fed up with all prebuilt systems now. I'm just going to toss this one when I get to California and let my brother go wild with building me a new system. He loves building top of the line high end systems so he'll have a blast and I'll benefit from having a computer that will exceed my requirements and be constantly kept in proper condition.

---EDIT---

I went ahead and moved the topic to prevent fro derailing the thread it was in. We can just continue this topic here from here on, .
    Last edited by Nimbi; December 24th, 2017 at 07:11 AM.

'The world is but a canvas to our imagination" - Henry David Thoreau

Pro Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Sex:
    That is horrible Nimbi. Reminds me of the Packard-Hell systems.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by dhjohns View Post
    That is horrible Nimbi. Reminds me of the Packard-Hell systems.
    Yeah, I'm living with my ma in California now. Wer'e in a hotel for four days while te floor of our house is being torn up and redone due to a slab leak. It's stressful as hell since the beds are too small to share causing me to have to sleep on the floor, . That and we found out my sister had all her friends staying at the house the whole time which is in severe violation of our lease. So now wer'e facing possible eviction due to her idiocy.

Mom thinks she may have a way around but shes looking for a bigger house just to be safe. That and we need a bigger house anyways since I still don't have my own room, . My brother has a build he's going to use for my new PC, he just needs to get a new MB for it and it will, be ready. It has 3TB HDD in it and is actually pretty good. From what I've been told, it's better than my CyberPowerPC claimed to be. And since it's a custom build then all the BS i had to go through with prebuilt systems won't be an issue, .

Hopefully, things will be fixed soon, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    So, i'm still on the CyberPowerPC. My bro kinda flaked on us, . But luckily I got passed the whole PCU bug and now it's running flawlessly.

I plan to start adding new parts to it as soon as I can afford to start swapping out the old ones. first up, replace this bs Netgear WiFi dongle with an internal WiFi card, . Then I'll look into some new fans, an air cooling system, and a case mod so I can add an internal disc drive to it.

I already found a decent internal WiFi card that I plan to buy eventually so I'm pretty much going to start with that. The case mod will be needed since there isn't even a slot to put a disc drive into atm. But if i have enough space after all of that I might add another 1TB HDD into it. I also need to up the RAM to try to max it out a bit more, .

Thread Information