Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't all themes set up to install with 7tsp?

Mascot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sex:

Why aren't all themes set up to install with 7tsp?

Just... why?? Or why not, rather?

In my eyes, it would be a worthwhile effort to create some sort of batch file or separate GUI in which a person could 'drag and drop' or list appropriate and specific theme files to then be packaged in 7tsp format. It sounds like a bit of work, but not too much work. Of course, I'm only thinking of Windows 7 because, as far as themes go, it's all I know. There are really only so many resource files to work with in their various formats (bmp, png, dll, mui.dll... or exe? or both? idk, I'm not a professional themer )

I would love to see more themes in 7tsp installer format. It just makes installing themes in their complete and flawless glory so much easier.

But, I guess it isn't supposed to be easy. Or at least too easy. If it was, we wouldn't be forced to explore. And in doing so, learn more about themes and how they work. And I assume we wouldn't have so many great and talented themers as we do today.

While I'm at it, I'd like to thank all you theme creators out there. Putting in so much time and effort for that extra wow factor. Whether it's theme enthusiasts, self-customizers, gamers, or just your average user. It's pretty damn cool that we're all able to download themes for our own personal eye candy and/or to impress our friends. It's been a blast over the years finding all these cool themes. I love them and appreciate the time you take to create them.

I'm hoping to learn more about how 7tsp packages work in the near future and possibly convert theme packages into 7tsp format (with the permission of theme creators of course) for easier and more complete installation.

Any thoughts?

Co-Admin♀ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin2190 View Post
    Just... why?? Or why not, rather?

In my eyes, it would be a worthwhile effort to create some sort of batch file or separate GUI in which a person could 'drag and drop' or list appropriate and specific theme files to then be packaged in 7tsp format. It sounds like a bit of work, but not too much work. Of course, I'm only thinking of Windows 7 because, as far as themes go, it's all I know. There are really only so many resource files to work with in their various formats (bmp, png, dll, mui.dll... or exe? or both? idk, I'm not a professional themer )

I would love to see more themes in 7tsp installer format. It just makes installing themes in their complete and flawless glory so much easier.

But, I guess it isn't supposed to be easy. Or at least too easy. If it was, we wouldn't be forced to explore. And in doing so, learn more about themes and how they work. And I assume we wouldn't have so many great and talented themers as we do today.

While I'm at it, I'd like to thank all you theme creators out there. Putting in so much time and effort for that extra wow factor. Whether it's theme enthusiasts, self-customizers, gamers, or just your average user. It's pretty damn cool that we're all able to download themes for our own personal eye candy and/or to impress our friends. It's been a blast over the years finding all these cool themes. I love them and appreciate the time you take to create them.

I'm hoping to learn more about how 7tsp packages work in the near future and possibly convert theme packages into 7tsp format (with the permission of theme creators of course) for easier and more complete installation.

Any thoughts?
    you can create 7tsp pack with more extras as icon pack preview,sound schemes,curors,logon,fonts and visual style (windows theme)
    just put your custom files to 7tsp Extra folder and before patching you can set settings before patching in 7tsp menu 7tsp/Extra/Option

Mascot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Thanks so much! I'm going to study this process and start cranking out some 7tsp packs soon!

Pro Designer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    260 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin2190 View Post
    ...drag and drop' or list appropriate and specific theme files to then be packaged in 7tsp...
    i agree. 7tsp does make it easier to customize windows, especially windows 7. I used to break my windows 7 constantly from editing system files manually. Theme resource changer and 7tsp changed all that.
    To make a package all you need are 2 things (well to be honest i dont actually make the package, i merely replace the resource files of a package i got from the web ) :

1. Restorator or Resource Hacker (Reshacker) - to make a resource file (.res) - a file that contains your changes for a specific file. (eg. imageres.dll.res - contains changes for imageres.dll)
    I use both but i mostly use Restorator because you can drag and drop. Its way faster to replace icons and such that way. Its probably the best we will get for a GUI with drag and drop environment that you mentioned.

2. 7z archiver - to open a 7tspackage where you'd place your resource files. Make sure the package has a 7tsp.7z extension (eg. package.7tsp.7z) in order for 7tsp to recognize it

The only hard part is finding out which system file contains the resource you wanna change. Or i should say it isnt hard but its what consumes the most time.

After you have made a package or 2, you tend to create your own way of making the process faster. Your own GUI or interface so to speak, which improves as you go along.

Cheers

Mascot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sex:
    What about building the pack.ini file? Some things look pretty self-explanatory, but 'number of resources,' color listings... that seems a little confusing there.
    I'm guessing color ID can be pulled from somewhere within "theme.zip\(theme name)\Theme\(theme name)\Shell\Normal Color" ?

Do resource image files need to be packaged using Restorator? They can't go in a folder inside the 'Extra' folder under the appropriate name? (ex. Shell / Shell32)
    Better yet, just move the entire theme into the Extra folder? I think I've seen a few in that sort of format.

I think I see what you mean now that I think about it. timedate.cpl can't be changed using the normal theme installation procedure and requires Restorator in order to be changed...

I'm trying to use other 7tsp packages as a reference, but I'm not sure if I have any that are complete packages. And it's hard to find many 7tsp full transformation packs.

I need to keep studying the tutorial. There's a lot of bases to cover here .

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna try to get the hang of this eventually. I'm beginning to see why there isn't an easy custom theme to 7tsp converter. Some items have a few variables at stake and requires user interaction.

Co-Admin♀ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Author Fixit
    https://www.xptsp.com/board/index.php?topic=31.0
    Here a tutorial on how to make a custom pack.
    This is also the place for questions and support for your custom pack.

It's possible to create your own custom Theme/Icon pack's and apply them with the 7tsp GUI.
    Modifications can include icons, bitmaps, a theme, side panel, logon screen and task manager colors.
    Dialog window changes, menu start button, copy animation colors etcetc.

Extract a pack (preferable 7tsp black pack) , replace all or some of the resources with your own and/or just remove any unwanted file or mod...
    Re compress the files and folders again as it was with 7zip
    and name it "7tsp_my_custom_pack_v0.1.7z" ("my_custom" can be "any_name" (no spaces))

Pack.ini

Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Resource Files

a new .res file can be created by making a copy of an existing res file, rename it and add the new resources
    with the same name or number it has in the original dll/exe file using e.g. Reshacker, you can add any dll/exe/cpl/mui file in res format in the resources folder.
    7tsp will recognize them and if they exist in the system32, windir or en-US folder they will be patched.
    Resfile Catagories - By Robi

Spoiler!
    Files Recognized by 7tsp

Windows\:
    Spoiler!

All files in sytem32\:
    Spoiler!

Branding\:
    Spoiler!

All files in en-US\: (when your system is e.g. French 7tsp uses fr-FR)
    Spoiler!

Speech\:
    Spoiler!

Migwiz\:
    Spoiler!

Program Files\:
    Spoiler!

In this topic extra Program Files locations can be requested.
    The Extra\ Folder

The Extra\ folder:
    In this folder you can put the theme files and the corresponding folders
    like "mytheme.theme" and the folder "mytheme".
    you can put any amount of themes in this folder and they all get installed, the theme file specified in Pack.ini will be applied after patching.

The Extra\shell32\ folder:
    In this folder you can put the side panel bitmaps 632, 633, 634, 635
    This folder is also used when a custom side panel bitmap is selected in the GUI.

The Extra\Logon\ folder:
    In this folder you can put the logon .jpg images for the logon background file 5031.jpg to 5043.jpg
    This folder is also used when a custom Logon Background image is selected in the GUI.

The Extra\Basebrd\ folder:
    in this folder you can place 2 res files "basebrdhome.dll.res" and basebrdpro.dll.res
    the ultimate "basebrd.dll.res" can be placed in the Resources\ folder with all the other res files and will be used standard if there is no basebrdhome.dll.res or basebrdpro.dll.res present in the Extra\Basebrd\ folder. 7tsp will use the brd.res file corresponding with the current system being patched automatically.

The Extra\Cursors\ folder:
    In this folder you can put all the cursors as being named in the windows\cursors\ folder like "aero_busy.ani", aero_busy_l.ani" etc. these files will be directly replaced.
    you can also use an .inf cursor scheme (and folder) in "Extra\Cursors\cursors.inf" or "install.inf"

The Extra\Fonts\ folder:
    In this folder you can put any amount of *.ttf font files and they will be installed.

The Extra\Media\ folder:
    In this folder you can put all the sound *.wav files as being named in the windows\Media\ folder like "Tada.wav", "Ding.wav" etc. these files will be directly replaced.
    you can also use an .inf sound scheme (and folder "Schemes") in "Extra\Media\schemes.inf" or "install.inf"

Important Notes:

~Please compress the pack with 7zip
    ~Set all language id's in the res files to English(1033)
    ~Always ask permission when using some one else his/her art before sharing

~7tsp is a free community Project. The Official (and user contributed) 7tsp packs may NOT be used or altered for commercial purposes!!
    Last edited by ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡; June 3rd, 2018 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information