Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
How old is the rig and CPU?

How often and for what periods of time (how long) do you play games on it for?

If the CPU is not made for gaming or not configured properly for gaming there is a good chance you may have overheated the CPU which would explain it heating up so fast whenever playing games now.

I have an i5-6500 and would not consider playing video games on it constantly.

Your probably going to have to purchase another CPU but when you do I would go for a higher end i5, 8 or maybe even a 9 if you can afford it, especially if your going to use your rig for gaming and when you do this, do not use the stock fan that comes with it, invest in an aftermarket fan like Master Cooler to cool your CPU.
Its up there in the years, about 8 years old. The only game I attempt to play on this computer is Minecraft and I don't play it very often, so its nothing a i5 processor can't handle. Anyways I tried loading up a world a few days ago and my computer shut itself off. I opened up GPU-Z to check the temps and they were about 70 degrees at idle. I tried loading up a world again and both the CPU and GPU immediately jumped to 100 degrees, since then I've been trying to keep the workload on my PC as light as possible.

I figure the next thing I'll do is open it back up and check the heat sink, thermal paste, and send a load of compressed air down the fan to clean out any dust I may have missed while cleaning. I haven't replaced the thermal paste in the 8 years I've owned it so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be replaced.

Hopefully nothing has burned out too much yet