Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Windows 7 Still going to be useable?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:

Is Windows 7 Still going to be useable?

Hello,

I'm trying to determine whether or not keeping Windows 7 is a good idea. My main concern is whether or not a large amount of the software and games I use will eventually force me to go to Windows 10 [which I am entirely against due to my hatred for the entire UWP platform in general].

If it turns out I can't keep my supported software, my only real option is to run Manjaro MATE [my preferred linux distro]. But again with AMD Graphics most of my games simply won't run with WINE on linux.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not I should just make the swap or stick with Windows 7. Because I refuse to go back to that Windows 10 Metro trash.

'The world is but a canvas to our imagination" - Henry David Thoreau

Co-Admin♀ Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    131 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Education

Businesses and education Windows 7 users will be able to pay for extended security updates, but it could be a costly venture for some.
    Extended updates for Windows 7 Enterprise is approximately $25 per machine, and the cost doubles to $50 per device in 2021 and again to $100 in 2022.
    It’s even worse for Windows 7 Pro users, which starts at $50 per machine and jumps to $100 in 2021 and $200 in 2022.
    These costs will naturally vary depending on the volume of PCs in use at a business, but they’re still going to be substantial for larger firms.

Microsoft is easing these costs with a free year of post-retirement updates to Windows 7 customers with active Windows 10 subscriptions.
    That hasn’t made a big dent in Windows 7 market share recently, though.
    Last edited by ミறѳѳղղįզվદ彡; January 15th, 2020 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by றѳѳղղįqվદ® View Post
    Windows 7 Enterprise
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Education

Thanks. sadly my Windows 10 sub isn't being used so I doubt that will count towards me xD. And alas, I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate. But it's good to know anyways.

Pro Designer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbi View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to determine whether or not keeping Windows 7 is a good idea. My main concern is whether or not a large amount of the software and games I use will eventually force me to go to Windows 10 [which I am entirely against due to my hatred for the entire UWP platform in general].

If it turns out I can't keep my supported software, my only real option is to run Manjaro MATE [my preferred linux distro]. But again with AMD Graphics most of my games simply won't run with WINE on linux.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not I should just make the swap or stick with Windows 7. Because I refuse to go back to that Windows 10 Metro trash.
    Suck it up, and go with Windows 10. You don't need to run any of the UWP apps if you don't like them. 10 is a whole helll-of-a-lot quicker than 7, and eventually your computer will go south, then you will definitely not be able to install Windows 7, so you will need to go with 10 or something else. As for Linux distros I suggest you at least check out deepin which is based on Debian. It is perfect.

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    As I always think since years , your choice could and should depend of your needs .Like in real life

I told to my children when they were young , if you want to get a royal life then you should work enough to , but if you don't really need lot of things to be happy with, then you can appreciate life with less money. It's up to you.

My computer got some components older than 7 years now

I'm not personaly stucked with newer games because my all favourite time game is turn based ( xcom etc ) but if I some day want to play high resource games , I will buy another video game console

But I'm really older than you Nimbi so we may not have the same needs in computing ... My only needs now is having my home studio for electric guitar working , and for drawing I own a pen tablet so no really things which need an high end OS or PC ah ah
    Last edited by innuendo; January 16th, 2020 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
    As I always think since years , your choice could and should depend of your needs .Like in real life

I told to my children when they were young , if you want to get a royal life then you should work enough to , but if you don't really need lot of things to be happy with, then you can appreciate life with less money. It's up to you.

My computer got some components older than 7 years now

I'm not personaly stucked with newer games because my all favourite time game is turn based ( xcom etc ) but if I some day want to play high resource games , I will buy another video game console

But I'm really older than you Nimbi so we may not have the same needs in computing ... My only needs now is having my home studio for electric guitar working , and for drawing I own a pen tablet so no really things which need an high end OS or PC ah ah
    Thanks for the response. tbh I may end up swapping to Manjaro MATE if it comes down to it. Most of the games I run are fairly high end and if i can't get them to run on Windows 7 anymore I'll have to try to rig em to work on linux xD.

As they are sadly, that might require a lot more work than I'm currently skilled enough for since they have updates that are interfering with WINE and a few other programs xD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information