2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    56 Thread(s)

Sex:

Microsoft Edge Beta Custom Themed Title Bar

Microsoft Edge Beta
    Custom Themed Title Bar

Yo, so I found a way to enable custom themed title bars in MS Edge Beta

Just need to have AeroGlass installed [and possibly have the DWMGlass.DLL injected]. Once you have that simply add the launch parameter below to your shortcut and it will work as shown in the screenshot.

Code:
    --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar
    Basically your shortcut launch parameter will look something like this [actual install location depends on where you have it installed]

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Beta\Application\msedge.exe" --disable-windows10-custom-titlebar
    The path you want to edit is the shortcut's target path. For this to work you will need to make your own shortcut as the default one won't allow you to edit it for some odd reason. [i kept getting an error saying the .ink file could not be found, not sure if it was a bug or just my default shortcut being borked but would suggest making your own either way].

Naturally this only works because it s a chromium based version of MS Edge. However if more metro apps get converted to chromium based, this will eventually become possible with all of them [hopefully].
    Last edited by Nimbi; 03-30-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Hi Nimbi

Nice find for Edge chromium based though I don't use it but I'm quite surprised to already have my metro apps UWP perfectly skinned whatever custom theme used on my main rig... as screenshot shows ( Groove / settings / xbox apps and so on ... )

2 thoughts :

- my main rig is stucked under 18362.628 ( aeroglass 1.5.13 ) as I don't need to upgrade more ( gaming / media/ home studio computer ) x64 W10 pro edition

- my second rig is my professional laptop and up to date x64 Home edition and have UWP apps NOT SKINNED as yours

I will play and mess when having time to find why it does work on my main config and make maybe some tests under 1909 builds but ATM I can't remember what kind of settings I played with to have such final and satisfying results

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    201 Thread(s)

Nice find, works also with the final Edge and with the Brave Browser.

Regards and stay safe and healthy.

mkpcxxl

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    56 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
    Hi Nimbi

Nice find for Edge chromium based though I don't use it but I'm quite surprised to already have my metro apps UWP perfectly skinned whatever custom theme used on my main rig... as screenshot shows ( Groove / settings / xbox apps and so on ... )

2 thoughts :

- my main rig is stucked under 18362.628 ( aeroglass 1.5.13 ) as I don't need to upgrade more ( gaming / media/ home studio computer ) x64 W10 pro edition

- my second rig is my professional laptop and up to date x64 Home edition and have UWP apps NOT SKINNED as yours

I will play and mess when having time to find why it does work on my main config and make maybe some tests under 1909 builds but ATM I can't remember what kind of settings I played with to have such final and satisfying results
    Yo glad you're liking this. So, something I'm seeing in your screenshot the settings window actually isn't fully skinned. It looks like it is because that theme has a shadow image and the buttons are skinned, but that's actually the most that can be done as is for most UWP apps. So it's a partial but not entirely complete.

However some of your other ones are properly skinned due to not using the current ModernFrame and instead going off of a version of ModernFrame that hasn't changed since it got dropped by AeroGlass. Some of the UWP still use an older more compatible version [for lack of proper wording, it's not precisely older, just not the same as the one most use] instead of the newer version. As for Edge, I'm guessing you're using the chromium based one there supposing that is MS Edge.

It can look decent if the shadow image is available but in my honest opinion I still prefer true skinning, .
    Last edited by Nimbi; 03-31-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Skilled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    oh , don't take notice of what you see which seems not fully skinned , it is because my INACTIVE windows during screenshot are " darkened" ( captions buttons ++ ) , otherwise it has the same look as the front apps on screen ^^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    56 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
    oh , don't take notice of what you see which seems not fully skinned , it is because my INACTIVE windows during screenshot are " darkened" ( captions buttons ++ ) , otherwise it has the same look as the front apps on screen ^^
    what im refering to is that if you look at the settings app you can see that the left side is a different color, if the title bar were fully skinned, even in bg that side wouldn't extend to the title bar as well. that only happens because the majority of metro apps have a different type of Title bar that Big Muscle stopped trying to fix due to it breaking ModernFrame support every time MS updated. So those ones actually aren't fully skinned. The buttons are, and you do have the shadow image showing which looks damn nice. but it's pretty clear from the settings app that it's not fully skinned.

I won't deny some themes can look damn nice with the shadow image, but not all visual styles have a shadow image is my main issue with the lack of support now. The buttons actually skin regardless. it's just the title bar that doesn't fully skin on most due to that different type of ModernFrame. Also just noticed you're using Google Chrome xD. I stopped using that browser ages ago xD.

The bevel you're seeing on the title bar is actually the shadow image. A lot of Visual Styles have those now but it's not what it looks like.
    Last edited by Nimbi; 03-31-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information