Thread: How to customize own win 10 Theme? Share

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:

How to customize own win 10 Theme?

Hey I wanna start Customize win 10 Theme, wanna learn how it Works and what i need.

would be nice if anyone can help me : D

and show me all Steps

register or log in to view signatures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    The best way I found for customizing Windows 10 themes was Vista Style Builder (assuming of course that you are using a theme patcher). You can purchase it here [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

However it is a "paid for app", and since theme editing is quite complicated for a beginner, you might perhaps be better off with MsstyleEditor ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) which is open source and free. It's a bit of a trial to ut through the slightly offputting labelling, so just ask if you want some help with that.

However, if you do decide to use VSB, may I suggest looking over this website? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    It's a website created by the wonderful Chloe Chantelle, however the github page expired and I pulled it over to my domain for personal use. I hope it can help you.

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:

thumbs up

I think, IMO, the MsstyleEditor is even more up-to-date (last release 1.5.0.0 Feb 23rd 2021), official Windows Style Builder only supports up to Win7, further extended to Win10 based on community efforts (Mr.GRIM, etc...)

But problem: MsstyleEditor is so unpopular and there's no tutorial (no guide about which class link to which image element in UI theme). So it's difficult to get into and quickly follow some instruction (because there's none). Advantage: seems works on every windows edition 7 to 10 (haven't test that but the tool claimed so). @Bluejive: Do you have any locations guide on this tool? I tried this tool a few times but haven't really made out anything because different in locations, I quickly fall back to WSB for convenience.

On otherhand, WSB is very popular amongst theme editors, there're a lot of tutorials and resource, example. Product proven. But it's paid software and not officially supported. There're different setup to deal with different tasks. Like one folder of WSB to work with Win7 (in win7 host OS), another folder with different config to work with win10 (import old themes from 7-8-10TH2), another folder to work with win 10 1903 (19H1) and newer (I don't know how others manage this but it's kinda messy to have different folders for different config of WSB, especially for beginners).
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Many locations in win7 still there in Win10, so the guide by Dave Senior still works great to some extent.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by nnq2603; 04-22-2021 at 03:37 AM.

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Hello bluejive and nnq2603,

Like the OP, I'm a complete beginner in theme editing.
    I'm even new to Windows 10. I just love the good old Classic Theme and was reluctant to quit Windows 7.

I've carefully read your replies. I have some more questions, and I'd appreciate your help.

1. I've followed the steps provided in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Is this indeed the first step? Is it still relevant to Win 10?

2. I've got Windows Style Builder v1.5.0.3. Should it work on Win 10?

3. Would I have to use UltraUXThemePatcher?
    Is there a replacement for UxStyle_0242_x86_x64_preview.exe? Is this file necessary at all?

Thank you.

Pro Customizer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael2021 View Post
    Hello bluejive and nnq2603,

Like the OP, I'm a complete beginner in theme editing.
    I'm even new to Windows 10. I just love the good old Classic Theme and was reluctant to quit Windows 7.

I've carefully read your replies. I have some more questions, and I'd appreciate your help.

1. I've followed the steps provided in [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].
    Is this indeed the first step? Is it still relevant to Win 10?

2. I've got Windows Style Builder v1.5.0.3. Should it work on Win 10?

3. Would I have to use UltraUXThemePatcher?
    Is there a replacement for UxStyle_0242_x86_x64_preview.exe? Is this file necessary at all?

Thank you.
    Hello Michael2021, First off Welcome to VC Mate, Congratulations on upgrading to W10 the next Generation. OK so now you want to run Custom 3rd party Themes to get the Classic look on W10, So all you need to install is UltraUXThemepatcher compatible with what ever System your using 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909-20H1, or 20H2. THEN install OldNewExplorer and StartisBack++ then place your theme in the C/Windows /Resources/Themes folder and go to the Control panel to change the theme or in the Settings/Personalization/Themes Section. Also WSB 1.5.0.3 will work on all W10 Builds, VSB for W7. OK so thats the rundown on how to run Classic 3rd Party themes on W10. Let me know if you have any probs locating Mods and themes Compatible with your System Build.
    I Hope this Helps get you StartedCheerz!!

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Hello Donkuz,

Thank you for the warm welcome and the detailed reply. I do appreciate it.

I would have liked to install a complete Classic Theme for Win 10.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] breaks Explorer's context-menu.
    I've tried [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] but my system is RTL (Right To Left), and the theme would have to be adjusted.
    (Can you think of someone who might be interested in making the necessary adjustments? - I'm willing to pay).

Adjusting an existing theme.
    Should [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] work without WindowBlinds?
    Do you think it should be easier for me to adjust that theme than creating a new one?

Creating my own theme.
    Should I start with [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    My system is 20H2. I assume UltraUXThemePatcher_4.1.2 should work, correct?

I have this VistaStyleBuilder:

If it's not compatible with Win 10, where do I get the right version?

Best regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information