Hybrid View

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:

Getting rid of the scrollbar

I was hoping someone had an idea on how to get rid of the scrollbar in the start menu while using a framed start menu. If I use a uniformly colored start menu, this would not be an issue, but I wanted to learn at least some image editing and I thought that a frame for the start menu would be a good starting point while getting a hang of how margins work at the same time.

In the second image, the second value of ContentMargins is set to "-10" and this gets rid of the scrollbar but at the same time it messes up my frame. I've fiddled with almost every property/value pertaining to this but I can't get it to work. Some help would be much appreciated!

Pro Theme Builder

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Poddzapp View Post
    I was hoping someone had an idea on how to get rid of the scrollbar in the start menu while using a framed start menu. If I use a uniformly colored start menu, this would not be an issue, but I wanted to learn at least some image editing and I thought that a frame for the start menu would be a good starting point while getting a hang of how margins work at the same time.

In the second image, the second value of ContentMargins is set to "-10" and this gets rid of the scrollbar but at the same time it messes up my frame. I've fiddled with almost every property/value pertaining to this but I can't get it to work. Some help would be much appreciated!

G day Mate, Are you using StartIsBack++? If so try reducing the amount of Recent Items or programs to 10 and with small Icons. I really don't think you can make it redundant without messing something up the only thing you can do is make the list smaller so it don't invoked the scrollbar.
    Just a thought, I hope it helpsCheerz!!

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkuz View Post
    G day Mate, Are you using StartIsBack++? If so try reducing the amount of Recent Items or programs to 10 and with small Icons. I really don't think you can make it redundant without messing something up the only thing you can do is make the list smaller so it don't invoked the scrollbar.
    Yes, I'm using SiB. My screens are just showing a virtual computer I set up to try things out. In the end, the start menu, when opened, will display a list of every application installed on my computer. So the scrollbar is going to be invoked regardless of my other settings.

I got the idea on how to hide the scrollbar from gsw's Obsidian 3 theme but it only works as long as the right panel isn't skinned. I'll just stick with skinning the start menu as I originally intended, without any kind of frame. Here's an example of how it looks without the scrollbar and the frame:

https://i.imgur.com/hoVTAkT.jpg

I very much appreciate your answer and I suspected that this was the case. I just wanted a second opinion from someone who's more knowledgeable about this.

Since I have your attention I thought I'd slip another question in here. This is the last part of my visual style that I've been unable to fix and hopefully you've encountered it before.

Is there any way to change the color of the text in this caption bar?

I've changed every textcolor property I could find in my theme but this one remains unaffected. I also stumbled upon the property "colorizationcolor", which is available under "Colors (Global)" and also "DWMWindow", and changed it accordingly, hoping it would solve this issue but still nothing.

It's not really a huge deal but it does annoy me simply by being a problem I can fix...

Pro Theme Builder

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Poddzapp View Post
    Yes, I'm using SiB. My screens are just showing a virtual computer I set up to try things out. In the end, the start menu, when opened, will display a list of every application installed on my computer. So the scrollbar is going to be invoked regardless of my other settings.

I got the idea on how to hide the scrollbar from gsw's Obsidian 3 theme but it only works as long as the right panel isn't skinned. I'll just stick with skinning the start menu as I originally intended, without any kind of frame. Here's an example of how it looks without the scrollbar and the frame:

https://i.imgur.com/hoVTAkT.jpg

I very much appreciate your answer and I suspected that this was the case. I just wanted a second opinion from someone who's more knowledgeable about this.

Since I have your attention I thought I'd slip another question in here. This is the last part of my visual style that I've been unable to fix and hopefully you've encountered it before.

Is there any way to change the color of the text in this caption bar?

I've changed every textcolor property I could find in my theme but this one remains unaffected. I also stumbled upon the property "colorizationcolor", which is available under "Colors (Global)" and also "DWMWindow", and changed it accordingly, hoping it would solve this issue but still nothing.

It's not really a huge deal but it does annoy me simply by being a problem I can fix...
    Hi Poddzapp, I had a look at the image in your post, I can see what your tryin to achieve now looking at it there's only about 10 items in the list there to with no scrollbar envoked anyway keep at it I cant wait to see it finished. OK so for the Title Bars, on WSB in the Colors Globals section and select the Text and glow background from there for your tile bars. OK for the Caption Bar, go to Fonts and System Metrics and the highlighted props are the Active and Inactive you may have to try Different Colors if it dont work windows is a bit picky about what colors you use herefor some reason. OK I hope this Helps Mate,
    Goodluck!!

VC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex:
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkuz View Post
    OK so for the Title Bars, on WSB in the Colors Globals section and select the Text and glow background from there for your tile bars. OK for the Caption Bar, go to Fonts and System Metrics and the highlighted props are the Active and Inactive you may have to try Different Colors if it dont work windows is a bit picky about what colors you use herefor some reason. OK I hope this Helps Mate,
    Much appreciated! Now I completely understand why I couldn't find it myself.

This appears to be a really tricky one...

It's almost as if there's a value somewhere in the style file that limits what colors I'm able to set for these two properties.

If I choose a color for "CaptionText" that's too bright, it automatically defaults to something dark. If I choose a color for "InactiveCaptionText" that's too dark, it automatically defaults to something bright.

"CaptionText" is the most relevant for me and anything above 128,128,128 doesn't seem to work. The red color you're using in your screen seems to work fine, though. This is probably going to take some trial and error to get working. At least now I know where to focus my attention, so thanks a lot for that.

Thread Information